By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why does NBA 2k support the Switch more readily than FIFA?

NBA 2K Doesn't seem to get the same sort of low quality work that FIFA ports get, and I'm curious what the reason might be. 

I mean it seems like NBA doesn't sell as well as FIFA, and I am pretty sure that 2K has a similarly greed reputation to EA. 

Is it just a corporate culture difference? The old talk of EA Nintendo bad blood never does go away, and I don't hear that about 2K. 

(Also liking Miyamoto doesn't mean the two get along, before that comes up).

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

Around 50% of Fifa's Revenue comes from Online and Ultimate Team through Microtransactions, (Ultimate Team Revenue was worth around $800m annually as of march 2017), which I suspect Switch owners are a lot less likely to pick up and are less likely to play online at all too. 

So while the proportional game sales of Fifa 18/19 and NBA 18/19 are fairly similar on Switch compared to PS4/XBO, revenue wise Fifa on Switch probably makes up a lot less of the total than NBA on Switch does.

NBA does have microtranscations, but I doubt they're anywhere near as big a part of it's earnings.

Barkley said:

Around 50% of Fifa's Revenue comes from Online and Ultimate Team through Microtransactions, (Ultimate Team Revenue was worth around $800m annually as of march 2017), which I suspect Switch owners are a lot less likely to pick up and are less likely to play online at all too. 

So while the proportional game sales of Fifa 18/19 and NBA 18/19 are fairly similar on Switch compared to PS4/XBO, revenue wise Fifa on Switch probably makes up a lot less of the total than NBA on Switch does.

NBA does have microtranscations, but I doubt they're anywhere near as big a part of it's earnings.

I see: that is a fairly reasonable explanation that doesn't rely on 'E.A is E.A and E.A is the worst'. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

I don't know much about either game. But, it may be, in part, that NBA 2K is technically easier to port to Switch. If so, that would change the economics, and maybe make it more reasonable for 2K to deliver a good quality product.

Or, it could just be a matter of culture - 2K is willing to invest in the ecosystem for a while to see how it goes, whereas EA believes they already know there's no much money to.be made there.

This is pure speculation on my part though.

Around the Network

@Barkley I played NBA 2K18 but I've never played FIFA. You really can't do much with NBA 2K18 (and the rest of the series I assume) without pumping in loads and loads of money to make your player capable of doing things a 4th grader could do. It's hard to imagine FIFA being worse when it comes to microtransactions. They even "gave" the game away for like $3 recently.