By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Battletoads Gamescom Gameplay (Looks God Awful!)

I've held off on commenting until now.

The game may look bad. It may even be bad--but I thought the same thing of Bayonetta back when. I even made a thread about how terrible it looked. Turned out to be one of my all time favorite games.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
JWeinCom said:

I don't know if English is not your first language or if you just don't understand the colloquial usage of the word look.  "Looks" is frequently used as a shorthand for "Based on what I see, I anticipate it will be".

If I say "looks like rain"  I am saying "based on what I can observe I think there will be rain".  I am not saying that the sky literally looks like rain.  If my waiter brings me a steak and I say "oh that looks delicious", I am almost certainly not saying that the steak literally looks delicious, since it is impossible for something to somehow visually be delicious (unless you have synesthesia or something).  I almost certainly mean to say "based on what I can observe, I anticipate the steak will be delicious".  If I see a trailer of a movie and I say "looks boring", I am almost certainly not saying that the visuals of the movie are boring.  I am almost certainly saying "based on that trailer I anticipate the final product will be boring."  And when someone says "looks god awful" they are almost certainly saying "based on what I can tell, I anticipate this game will suck ass."

Wiki:  Look

"To look is to use sight to perceive an object."

So how does looking at something make you feel something? 

Basic stimulus response.  My dog sees a petco bag.  He has experience with these bags and knows that in the past, petco bags have generally contained toys for him.  So when he sees the bag, he feels excited.  

Since I was kind enough to answer your question, kindly answer this one.  Are you aware that words have multiple usages?

pokoko said:
Zoombael said:

Mh, what could fans of a franchise expect from a new entry? To be faithful in art and style to the originals? 

Btw. The original games. There was more than one.

Unless you're telling me that all the games came out on the same exact day, there is always an original game.  

Original games as in what made the Battletoads franchise what it is (or was), drawing a destinction between then and now. Also "original games" as in, why reducing Battletoads to one game? You say the original wasn't very good, but what about Battletoads Battlemaniacs and Arcade? The "baseline" is definitely bigger than one "original game".

Hunting Season is done...

People comparing battletoads with cuphead should get a sight check, battletoads looks like a cheap 2d game while cuphead is probably the best looking 2d game ever made, also the old battletoads games got many ports and spinoffs, but the original arcade game remains one of the best arcade beat em ups ever, the sprite work and animations were among the best of the time, also playing with 4 people is really fun.

Zoombael said:
pokoko said:

Unless you're telling me that all the games came out on the same exact day, there is always an original game.  

Original games as in what made the Battletoads franchise what it is (or was), drawing a destinction between then and now. Also "original games" as in, why reducing Battletoads to one game? You say the original wasn't very good, but what about Battletoads Battlemaniacs and Arcade? The "baseline" is definitely bigger than one "original game".

Are you being pedantic on purpose?  We're talking about a series where the first game is by far the best known and upon which everything else is based.  Even one of the games you mentioned is basically a remake and the other was a bomb that almost no one played.  The original game is the baseline for the franchise, like it or not.  

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Azzanation said:

For starters, the heading of this thread stats (Looks God Awful) so clearly it has to be about how it looks.

So you can tell if a game is bad without even playing it? I will always disagree with this. Unless you actually play it for yourself you will never know. Also I mentioned the testers at E319 enjoyed the gameplay demo. So as much as people want to vote if a game is trash by there keyboard or to actually try it for themselves to know for sure, I leave my votes in pending until I try it for myself.

Also just wanted to add, people need to stop treating this game like some super budget AAA game. Its not, its an Indy game with MS's permission to be made.

I don't know if English is not your first language or if you just don't understand the colloquial usage of the word look.  "Looks" is frequently used as a shorthand for "Based on what I see, I anticipate it will be".

If I say "looks like rain"  I am saying "based on what I can observe I think there will be rain".  I am not saying that the sky literally looks like rain.  If my waiter brings me a steak and I say "oh that looks delicious", I am almost certainly not saying that the steak literally looks delicious, since it is impossible for something to somehow visually be delicious (unless you have synesthesia or something).  I almost certainly mean to say "based on what I can observe, I anticipate the steak will be delicious".  If I see a trailer of a movie and I say "looks boring", I am almost certainly not saying that the visuals of the movie are boring.  I am almost certainly saying "based on that trailer I anticipate the final product will be boring."  And when someone says "looks god awful" they are almost certainly saying "based on what I can tell, I anticipate this game will suck ass."

It is great to see someone who used to play the "english is not your first language" and similar dismissive talk to deny my points get the same threatment.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Needs some coherence, we have hard for a lifetime that Rare had freedom and that they decided tho make Kinect games, now it was MS that defined that even though claiming they had no say in anything Rare done?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
JWeinCom said:

It is great to see someone who used to play the "english is not your first language" and similar dismissive talk to deny my points get the same threatment.

Uhhhhh... not really sure if that was aimed at me or him.  I sometimes ask that, because a lot of times English is not someone's first language, and if the issue seems to be one of comprehension, that's relevant.  .  In this case, command of the English language (how look is used figuratively vs literally) is the actual issue at hand.  If it came off as dismissive, that wasn't my intention.

Rare had all the freedom they needed when making Perfect Dark Zero, Banjo Nutz and Bolts, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kameo, Viva Piñata, Conkers Live and Reloaded etc. I wrote a whole article about this ages ago. 

Rare was underperforming and instead of MS sitting back watching Rare destroy all there IPs, MS asked them to make Kinect games which Rare was very successful with. Kinect is possibly the reason MS never closed Rare down due to the amount of success Rare had. So we should be thanking the move and Kinect for that very reason. 

MS only recently gave Rare all there freedom back where Sea Of Thieves was made, which turned out to be a success. Rare's next project is also out of freedom while we must remember that Battletoads isn't made by Rare, its made by a Indy studio DLaLa. Much like Killer Instinct wasn't made by Rare either but instead Double Helix / Iron Galaxy.

JWeinCom said:
DonFerrari said:

Uhhhhh... not really sure if that was aimed at me or him.  I sometimes ask that, because a lot of times English is not someone's first language, and if the issue seems to be one of comprehension, that's relevant.  .  In this case, command of the English language (how look is used figuratively vs literally) is the actual issue at hand.  If it came off as dismissive, that wasn't my intention.

It wasn't aimed at you, sorry if it looked like that.

I'm not native to English, but even in portuguese the "seems like" "looks like", etc equivalents aren't reduced to just seeing or sight. They have exactly the same purpouse you used of figuratively "seems like" being "from what I've experienced this situation is similar to this another so I induce this...."

The person you replied to have used 3 or more times the argument I don't speak english as native language to avoid a point or mock me (funny enough every other user, native or not, understood the point perfectly).