By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Battletoads Gamescom Gameplay (Looks God Awful!)

Player2 said:

The overcomplicated controls don't fit a beat'em up, either.

"Left trigger + X + Left analog to fire your tongue. TAP to pull yourself towards the enemy, HOLD to pull an enemy towards you."

WTF, man.

every time there was a tutorial message cleared a new one appeared for all 8 mins of this footage, also... you know the games pace is bad that 30 seconds into the video to show off the game the person is pressing start to try and skip the slow walking cutscene.

Looks honestly offensively bad, if this came from a tiny indie studio after a few months of work I would say something but this was a game which MS showed on stage at E3, and it looks like this.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Russia does not like.

Hunting Season is done...

CaptainExplosion said:
Ganoncrotch said:

every time there was a tutorial message cleared a new one appeared for all 8 mins of this footage, also... you know the games pace is bad that 30 seconds into the video to show off the game the person is pressing start to try and skip the slow walking cutscene.

Looks honestly offensively bad, if this came from a tiny indie studio after a few months of work I would say something but this was a game which MS showed on stage at E3, and it looks like this.

First Microsoft killed Conker, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, and now BattleToads.

What's next, turning RC Pro-Am into the new Grand Theft Auto?

Didn't you see there was a trailer for that at yesterdays show?

Apparently it's 4k/60fps! Really looks good.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

konnichiwa said:

I think the new generations love the artstyle? Turtles also has a 'similar' artstyle.

I've been growing to that style, but in all honesty, I'd prefer TMNT current style, over what BT is currently offering. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

JRPGfan said:
konnichiwa said:

I think the new generations love the artstyle? Turtles also has a 'similar' artstyle.

Nostalgia is one hellva drug....  I really dislike that art style.

How I remember TMNT (and love em):

What I'd expect from a current gen game:

Loved the original show, but I would not want Bay touching any game at all. I saw what they did to Transformers...

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

The original game wasn't very good. I don't know why people would have great expectations built from that baseline.

pokoko said:
The original game wasn't very good. I don't know why people would have great expectations built from that baseline.

if it even looked as good as the Gameboy port which came out 27 years ago... that would be nice.

1 whole KB of system memory and it is able to have vehicles and platforming, and gameplay which doesn't look a chore.

pokoko said:

Battletoads was merciless... and "hard", but as kids we'd just laugh it off and give it another go.
The goofy'ness of it, and all the random ways you could go down, made it fun even if it was challengeing.
(made it good for "group" gameing, pass the controller to next kid, and take turns)

Was it anywhere near the greatness that something like Super Mario bro's 3 was?
Probably not, but it wasnt a "bad" game.

Would I go replay it today? honestly no.
But as a kid, I loved batttled toads (not as a single player experiance) but as a group challenge sort of thing.
(we were determined to get through battletoads, and I think we actually managed it? cant even remember.)

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 21 August 2019

They need to add or improve something more entertainment or else it may be feel like a free 2001 mini flash game from the internet.

less than 10% of the people who left a rating on the video was positive, maybe they were expecting that reaction a bit looking at it themselves, but I wonder if they are a little shocked by the poor reception it got.