By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Brazil is getting closer and closer to becoming a dictatorship

The far-right politician Jair Bolsonaro was elected last year as president of Brazil, and began his term on January 1st, 2019. He promised to end corruption, fix the rampant violence in the country and put an end to "political correctness". A retired military officer, he was a congressman between 1991 and 2018. Bolsonaro is well-known for his racist, homophobic, xenophobic, misogynistic, highly-religious, dictatorial-sounding speech, and has managed to get a lot of his relatives into politics as well.

I remember when mZuzek posted something about how worried he was that Bolsonaro could win the election, and a lot of non-Brazilians (and a few Brazilians as well, btw) said "Brazil is already a mess, how worse can it get?" Oh boy, in these 7 months we realized how worse it can get, and there are still 3 and a half more years to go. I made this list so people who don't hear much about what's going on in Brazil can understand it and realize where Brazil is heading. Spoiler alert: It's dictatorship. Here are some dangerous things Bolsonaro has done since the 1st of January:

Part 1: Why!?

These are not laws, but stupid actions for a president.

Part 2: Wait, were you actually serious when you said that?

Yeah, turns out Bolsonaro is exactly what he said he was, but no one believed him.

Part 3: N is for nepotism!

Remember when Bolsonaro said corruption was over? Yeah, no.

• Bolsonaro's son, Eduardo, was nominated to work as the Brazilian ambassador in Washington DC. Eduardo has no degree or international experience to warrant him this. He justified his decision saying that Eduardo has "flipped burgers in Maine". Here's a video of Eduardo speaking English.
  • You can see a day-by-day report of the nepotism and corruption that has happened in his government since the start of his term here.

Part 4: Oh, boy, this smells of fascism!

• Bolsonaro threatened to close ANCINE, an agency that funds the making of Brazilian movies, if they funded films he didn't approve.
  • After getting the data collected by INPE (National Institute for Space Research) and other foreign agencies regarding the deforestation of the Amazon Rainforest, showing results he "felt were not the truth", Bolsonaro fired the director of the Institute.
  • When talking about the death of Fernando Santa Cruz, killed during the Brazilian Military Dictatorship (1964-1985), Bolsonaro said - without any evidence - that Santa Cruz was killed by far-left activists. When the committee charged with investigating the deaths occurred during that time showed a document that said that Santa Cruz was actually killed by the far-right military government, he replaced the members of the committee with politicians from his own party and members of the military.
  • Bolsonaro threatened Glenn Greenwald, a journalist who published text messages between a few politicians, including the current Minister of Justice, that could demoralize an anti-corruption operation that impeached the former president, of going to jail. When another journalist asked Bolsonaro's spokesman what crime Greenwald committed, he was not able to give an answer.
  • Miriam Leitão, a journalist, was tortured during the military dictatorship when she was 19 and pregnant. Bolsonaro said that she was a liar and justified her imprisonment because she was part of a guerrilla group. Leitão has never been a part of a guerrilla group.
  • The Minister of Education, in an attempt of normalizing nazism, said: "Aspirin was created by the nazis and I use it!" Aspirin was created in 1894. This same Minister has already confused Franz Kafka with the arab food kofta.

And those are just the most relevant facts. If you're still defending Bolsonaro, how the hell? If you didn't know what was going on in Brazil, now you know. Spread the word or just keep it to yourself. If you believe in those things, pray for us. If not, just wish us luck. We'll need it.

========UPDATE: IT'S GETTING SCARIER=========

Last edited by Lucca - on 07 September 2019

B O I

Around the Network

They are affecting the World with their policies including around deforestation

"The head of Brazil's National Space Research Institute says he will be sacked after a public row with President Jair Bolsonaro over the scale of deforestation in the Amazon."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-49212115 

Not even sure how to respond to all that. I've been aware of this POS since a little bit before he became president. This ghoul, his cabinet, and their policies make the issues in most of the west seem trivial by comparison.

^Then Rab adds another one to the pile.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Brazil's current government has all feature of a neofascist regimen.

We just need to read Yale professor Jason Stanley book "How Fascism Works" to understand why.

However, personalizing Brazil's problem on its president is huge mistake.

The real issue are the ones that elected him: (most of) Brazil's middle class.

Brazil's middle classe is were we will find the true fascists that intentionally (and proudly) voted for a regimen that would marginalize, persecute, torture and kill anyone who stands against it.

History will be merciless with them, just like it was with ones who supported Hitler or Mussolini in the past.

Edit: typos

DarkTemplar said:

History will be merciless with them, just like it was with ones who supported Hitler or Mussolini in the past.

The problem here is: time will be merciless even with me (and with you, and the OP and the rest of us) and I didn't vote in him

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network

The memes write themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ToEvz-7trY

❌ BANNED: Substance/Trolling (multiple posts) ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 03 August 2019

numberwang said:

Did you even read the OP or did you just stop by to try and invalidate a post that says something bad about the far-right?

B O I

Ahhhh, what a fucked up world we live in. And us Canadians bitch about how corrupt Trudeau is and the like (granted, he absolutely has issues and shouldn't be in office anymore); this whole saga makes that look like a joke in comparison.

Wishing Brazil the best, but if even half of what you listed is true... well fuck.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:
Ahhhh, what a fucked up world we live in. And us Canadians bitch about how corrupt Trudeau is and the like (granted, he absolutely has issues and shouldn't be in office anymore); this whole saga makes that look like a joke in comparison.

Wishing Brazil the best, but if even half of what you listed is true... well fuck.

unfortunately it's all true

Click HERE and be happy 

LuccaCardoso1 said:
numberwang said:

Did you even read the OP or did you just stop by to try and invalidate a post that says something bad about the far-right?

for the most part after skimming your op I'm not seeing fascism which is probably why he's implying you are being hyperbolic

"Fascism (/ˈfæʃɪzəm/) is a form of radical right-wing, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and strong regimentation of society and of the economy which came to prominence in early 20th-century Europe."

you lead up to your last paragraph which apparently has examples of fascism with stuff like this

"Child safety seats no longer mandatory, and more violations permitted before you get your driver's license suspended"

what? i'm not saying that this is all you posted but its odd to list things like this since this as an example is pretty much the opposite of fascism

and your last paragraph can be summarised as "Bolsonaro threatened to" or bolsonaro claimed

speech is not fascism, do you have actual concrete actions taken by this man that could be considered fascist?

is the guy a jerk? sounds that way but that doesn't mean that he's a fascist, words actually have meaning to them