By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games Journalism isn't What it Used to Be

When was it ever good? I have stacks of Playstation Magazines which I mostly got for the Demo discs but still a load of their headlines on the covers are just the same clickbait shite, except instead of it being a title so bad to get a click it's a title so bad to try to get someone to pick up a £10 magazine and buy it. CVG was the same, they would plaster any half a story on their cover to try to sell that magazine.

Word exclusive is on there more times than the 2018 MS E3 conference. "exclusive reviews" I mean.... of course the review that they write is going to be exclusive to that magazine lol

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

lol found a better old one

The statements on the left hand side....
a car game "WILL THIS BE THE XMAS NUMBER 1"
a different car game "IS THIS THE BEST RACER EVER?!!"

I mean... both of those statements can't be true, to put them side by side like that is a fairly bad editors choice, along with being allll click bait because both games were probably dogshit.

Also holy hell... how did I miss the Atari Lynx in the corner being referred to as Amazing.... wow, Games Journalism, if that came out today it would be flamed on twitter until the company folded.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Never really paid attention to it so don't know what it was versus what it is now...

Ganoncrotch said:

lol found a better old one

The statements on the left hand side....
a car game "WILL THIS BE THE XMAS NUMBER 1"
a different car game "IS THIS THE BEST RACER EVER?!!"

I mean... both of those statements can't be true, to put them side by side like that is a fairly bad editors choice, along with being allll click bait because both games were probably dogshit.

Also holy hell... how did I miss the Atari Lynx in the corner being referred to as Amazing.... wow, Games Journalism, if that came out today it would be flamed on twitter until the company folded.

Britain truly is the birthplace of tabloid journalism. 

PSM U.S. was ran by the same company that ran EGM.

PSM U.K. was a completely different magazine and it was run by the same company that runs PC Gamer. 

Then there's Edge Magazine, which is a current rag.

I think the vast majority of games journalism has always been shitty, if you look at it as hard journalism. Tons of puff pieces, super softball interviews, and just general editorializing passed off as hard news. I was a big reader of gaming mags in my youth in the 80s and 90s, and I recognized it even as a kid.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yes, exactly! That coverage of a mod for GTA SA, just because Spiderman is PS4 exclusive is just juvenile! Who the heck does that? 

Yeah, a lot of their editors seem to pretty much just play the same handful of never ending team based shooters. People that write for a major website should be playing as many different genres as possible. "Been playing Team Fortress and Counterstrike for the last ten years. Currently spending an hour a night on Fortnite before going to bed at 9pm." is not an acceptable resume for writing about games. 

Honestly it sounds like PCG is suffering from the same decline that plagued IGN. They got to be so successful that they are synonymous with games, and now they don't really have to try. 

Also, just because it was a slow news day, they decide to act on the area 51 meme and roll with it: https://www.pcgamer.com/heres-how-storming-area-51-will-go-as-predicted-by-video-games/

I'm all for funny memes, but that's not really the place for PCG, especially since they block/ban their comment sections, whenever they post an article that involves pol talks. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Just like with RDR2 articles, PCgamer is talking about how another console series would be "great for PC".

Slow news day for them again.

https://www.pcgamer.com/fire-emblem-would-be-a-great-pc-series/?utm_content=buffer2a038&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I still check Eurogamer daily yet there hardly ever seems to be any reviews anymore.
Last review, July 25th Fire enblem.
Before that, July 23rd of a graphics card.
Before that, July 19th another gpu review.
Are there no games coming out anymore?

Chazore said:
Just like with RDR2 articles, PCgamer is talking about how another console series would be "great for PC".

Slow news day for them again.

https://www.pcgamer.com/fire-emblem-would-be-a-great-pc-series/?utm_content=buffer2a038&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Yep. They are just trash. When's the last time you saw Nintendolife or PushSquare put up a post like "If only Halo was on Switch/PS4!"? Then they spam their site with all the Fortnite crap you can imagine. "The Best Headset for Fortnite!" "Fortnite Season 10 details." "Fortnite championships!" Really? Between that and their constant defense of the EGS, it's obvious that they take money from Epic at this point. 

The only good thing about PCG is that their reviews are actually pretty good. If you can find them beneath the heaps of garbage clickbait articles that is. 

Edit: BTW been enjoying DSOG. Their comments section is wild, but otherwise they are pretty good. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 30 July 2019

Journalism in a whole isn't as it was before.
The need to be the first to give the new on social media time, lack of checking and agenda pushing destroyed it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."