Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch now has over 2400 games

Ah, good old:

"Quantity has a quality all its own"
VS
"Ninety percent of everything is crap"

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Good to know Switch has almost surpassed 3DS in terms of physical games for sale. 

PS2 only had 3800 retail games. In a span of 6-8 years. Switch on the other hand has 2400 games that are mainly Digital Indies. Digital distribution wasn't a thing on PS2. Nothing will ever rival PS2's library. 

That's like saying switch succes sales numbers in region x doesn't count because it is a hybrid.  Now it gets a lot of games and we shouldn't count them =p?  Digital distribution wasn't a thing on PS2 because Sony didn't care about it while consoles like xbox had it.  Sure switch may have many small games like sega ages but PS2 had also +100 collections of sega ages/namco etc collections

Agreed.

There were plenty of budget PS2 retail releases that were as lousy as the worst of the Switch's digital indie releases, and I distinctly remember seeing god-awful-looking games for $0.25 in the bargain bin. Digital wasn't an enormously viable option in the sixth gen. That didn't mean we didn't get games that should've been digital-only releases. That just means that a lot of them got shitty retail releases instead.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Over 2400 games and Wind Waker ain't one :'( it's just not right

Barkley said:
And just like any system, I don't want to play 95% of those 2400 games. Total games released isn't an important metric to me.

Same; out of over 2000 titles my library currently stands at 12, haha.

Still, it's a cool ad and shows the system really does have something for just about any gamer.

thetonestarr said:
konnichiwa said:

That's like saying switch succes sales numbers in region x doesn't count because it is a hybrid.  Now it gets a lot of games and we shouldn't count them =p?  Digital distribution wasn't a thing on PS2 because Sony didn't care about it while consoles like xbox had it.  Sure switch may have many small games like sega ages but PS2 had also +100 collections of sega ages/namco etc collections

Agreed.

There were plenty of budget PS2 retail releases that were as lousy as the worst of the Switch's digital indie releases, and I distinctly remember seeing god-awful-looking games for $0.25 in the bargain bin. Digital wasn't an enormously viable option in the sixth gen. That didn't mean we didn't get games that should've been digital-only releases. That just means that a lot of them got shitty retail releases instead.

I bet there are way more shovelware games on the eShop, than there were in the PS2 bargain bins, simply because of the ease of putting a game on a digital storefront. But I agree that a sizable chunk of PS2 games were shovelware. At least 20%, but I really have no clue. I'd have to go back and count. But that would be a massive undertaking. 

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
thetonestarr said:

Agreed.

I bet there are way more shovelware games on the eShop, than there were in the PS2 bargain bins, simply because of the ease of putting a game on a digital storefront. But I agree that a sizable chunk of PS2 games were shovelware. At least 20%, but I really have no clue. I'd have to go back and count. But that would be a massive undertaking. 

Yeah, nah, you're definitely right. eShop absolutely has more - but I would also argue that they're also priced more appropriately from the get-go on Switch, and that effectively improves value for them.

SW-5120-1900-6153

On basically every system 95% of the games are crap.  That is why quantity does matter.  If the system has 1000 games total, then there are 50 good games.  If the system has 100 games total, then there are only 5 good games.  It's definitely better to have as many games as possible.

Switch already has 2400+ games and it's just getting started.  It's going to have the most impressive game library yet when all is said and done.

Barkley said:
And just like any system, I don't want to play 95% of those 2400 games. Total games released isn't an important metric to me.

But if it keep getting games, then 2400 will become 4000, or even 5000. 95% of 5000 games is still a lot more than 95% of ps4 or Xbox 1 total games, right?

Over 2400 games?! ....*looks at my Switch game collection of only 5 games*....... ¯|_(ツ)_/¯

The_Liquid_Laser said:

On basically every system 95% of the games are crap.  That is why quantity does matter.  If the system has 1000 games total, then there are 50 good games.  If the system has 100 games total, then there are only 5 good games.  It's definitely better to have as many games as possible.

Switch already has 2400+ games and it's just getting started.  It's going to have the most impressive game library yet when all is said and done.

I'm one of the pickiest people when it comes to games, and I have 30 physical Switch games + over 40 eShop games. Switch has a higher concentration of quality games than that. If I were to pick up all decent games on Switch I think I'd double my Switch collection.