By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has Sony made PlayStation "too Western"?

I'm an American that enjoys western-style games. So, I'm going with no.

Around the Network

Absolutely. Sony has become too "mature" and too western for my taste...

The whole industry shifted away from Japanese style titles. 

Thank fucking god. 

Yes, thankfully.

DonFerrari said:
I would say no.

They still kept all the studios they had on Japan, they still get the games from japanese devs (several even exclusively).

It is just that their western studios thrived much more than the Japanese ones and that isn't fault of Sony. You could point it to either customer preference or japanese devs not being able to compete.

100% this.

Around the Network

Maybe, but I think that the brand is better off for it imo.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

It’s not Sony who became more western, it was the gaming industry in general, when I was a kid during the snes era like 80% of the games were made in Japan, the Japanese have kind of given up on gaming consoles , the Sega Saturn out sold the ps4 in Japan that says a lot, I personally would love to see more from Japan, Sega seems to be only interested in real easing yakuza games and sonic reboots, Konami only sells overprice ports of old Castlevania games and square has give up on triple a turn based games, it seems like nintendo is the only gaming company that remains true to it’s roots ,Capcom has been doing some really good stuff lately and Altus is the only option for good jrpgs.

Definitely. I don't have an issue with it, it's working out quite well for them. Its how they built their brand. And...because of this yes, they're losing Japanese influence. And I think this is why Sony isn't acknowledging Nintendo as a competitor. However, Nintendo is indeed a competitor westward so I don't know where they're going with that, but in Japan I can see why they'd say that.

Ljink96 said:
Sony isn't acknowledging Nintendo as a competitor. However, Nintendo is indeed a competitor westward 

The PS4/XBO are not in competition with the Switch. The sales of the Switch do not damage the sales of the PS4/XBO and the sales of the PS4/XBO do not damage the sales of the Switch. They appeal to different people, they have different libraries, they have different form factors. If the Switch was a competitor then when it rolled onto the scene in 2017 and sold 13m units PS4 wouldn't have posted it's best ever year. 

Barkley said:
Ljink96 said:
Sony isn't acknowledging Nintendo as a competitor. However, Nintendo is indeed a competitor westward 

The PS4/XBO are not in competition with the Switch. The sales of the Switch do not damage the sales of the PS4/XBO and the sales of the PS4/XBO do not damage the sales of the Switch. They appeal to different people, they have different libraries, they have different form factors. If the Switch was a competitor then when it rolled onto the scene in 2017 and sold 13m units PS4 wouldn't have posted it's best ever year. 

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with this. They appeal to different people...that doesn't mean they aren't competitors. They also appeal to a lot of the same people. To say that it isn't 100% in competition with other devices in the same industry is quite foolish. There is overlap. They're game hardware manufactures, by default they're in competition...

This is not about being damaging...this isn't a console war scenario about "who's more damaging" or anything of that sort. It comes down to the fact that they're both hardware manufacturers and sell hardware in all major regions, and do share some of the same library. The latest example being Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. If I have to make a decision of whether to get Bloodstained and a console, I have a choice to get it on PS4, Switch or Xbox. That choice creates competition. Else it's a monopoly.