By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Which studios do you think Sony gonna acquire?

I hope they acquire a studio that can bring back the Motorstorm franchise in a way that does justice to that 2005 CGI trailer (it still makes me salivate). Other than that I'd love for Sony to release AAA JRPGs (which they'd probably need a new studio for), especially turn based/ATB ones.

Around the Network

the same people that made allan wake according to rumors 

BraLoD said:
Nintendo

The NinStation ;p

noobtonic said:

the same people that made allan wake according to rumors 

Remedy got back the rights, to that IP, Alan Wake.
So if they make a 2nd game, you might see it on playstation.

If sony bought Remedy, it might be a console exclusive... lmao, that would be weird.

Only one I can think of is NISA since they're pretty much bankrupt, but I don't think other companies will let them go without a fight. 

And for those who say Sega, Capcom, Rockstar, Nintendo, and others I hope you're just joking. Sony ain't got the cash for those bigger companies.

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
Liquid_faction said:

How doesn't it make sense? Did I jump into a portal to another world where Sony doesn't have the anal censorship attitude they've been having lately? Is there something in their clause that says that only 3rd party games can be censored, and not 1st party games? Was it all a dream?!?!

Level 5 make JRPGs, a few of them being exclusive to PlayStation, yet none of their game have anything that needs censoring... why shouldn't Sony touch them, given the opportunity? 

My point is, with Sony's hand so close to the trigger, I don't want them touching Japanese Studios yet, especially one's that are third party. We don't know how far they'll take it, and down the line if one of my favorite studios gets bought, and their policy gets stricter, games will suffer because of it.

Barkley said:
Liquid_faction said:

My pick is Bluepoint like the majority, I would have wanted them to buy out a Japanese company like Media.Vision, like someone said or Falcom, but with their stick up the ass censorship "for the kids" attitude, I'd rather not let them touch any JRPG studio.

I'm unaware of any game by Falcom or Media Vision that has been censored. In fact the vast majority of games hit by the recent crackdown are Visual Novels. From what I can see the only JRPG's affected are the following:

Omega Labyrinth Z
Brave Neptunia/Super Neptunia RPG
(Omega) Labyrinth Life
Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris

The vast majority of JRPG's are not affected, no need to blow it out of proportion. Persona, Final Fantasy, YS, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Ni No Kuni, Tales of... like most JRPG's the big series are unaffected.

Of course, I'm aware that 98% of JRPGs have nothing to censor, but I'm not worried about the present, I'm talking about how far they'll keep tightening their policy to protect children in the future. If we look at the list now, it's tiny, but we don't know how much that'll grow over time. Take into account that Sony Officials don't know about ESRB ratings and that shooting a man in cold blood is way better than "Durr Hurr Naked anime girl." I just don't feel comfortable giving a studio that could potentially still release their games, unrestricted, to Nintendo or Steam platforms. (Also I know about 18+ the VN stuff *wink* *wink* getting censored, don't really care about that, but NO PILLOW TALK IN AN SAO GAME IS A NATIONAL TRAGEDY!)

An additional note on Insomniac. They would be a great get. Sony does seem to help form and shape good studios into great, sometimes even top-tier studios.

The big 3 mascot platformer studios for ps2 were ND, Sucker Punch, and Insomniac. The order of quality of each studio, in my opinion, directly correlates with when Sony bought them. Naughty Dog #1, Sucker Punch #2 (and they appear to be transitioning into an even higher tier developer based on what’s been seen of Ghost of Tsushima thus far), and Insomniac, which has obvi never been bought by Sony, #3.

I have never truly loved an Insomniac game outside of the first Resistance. The two sequels I felt were poor; R&C games have always ranged from decent to good, but not great; Sunset Overdrive was extremely mediocre and I felt was overall not worth playing; and Spider-Man again was good but not great. The primary reason I liked it as much as I did was bc it was Spider-Man. But the quality, for various reasons, still just wasn’t up there with what ND, SSM, GG, SP, or other top-tier developers put out. Should Insomniac allow themselves to be bought by Sony, however, I think Sony will help build them into the top-tier developer status that has ever eluded them.

BraLoD said:
JRPGfan said:

The NinStation ;p

Sonyntendo was the joke back in the day.

That guy was So Nyntendo =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

pitzy272 said:

An additional note on Insomniac. They would be a great get. Sony does seem to help form and shape good studios into great, sometimes even top-tier studios.

The big 3 mascot platformer studios for ps2 were ND, Sucker Punch, and Insomniac. The order of quality of each studio, in my opinion, directly correlates with when Sony bought them. Naughty Dog #1, Sucker Punch #2 (and they appear to be transitioning into an even higher tier developer based on what’s been seen of Ghost of Tsushima thus far), and Insomniac, which has obvi never been bought by Sony, #3.

I have never truly loved an Insomniac game outside of the first Resistance. The two sequels I felt were poor; R&C games have always ranged from decent to good, but not great; Sunset Overdrive was extremely mediocre and I felt was overall not worth playing; and Spider-Man again was good but not great. The primary reason I liked it as much as I did was bc it was Spider-Man. But the quality, for various reasons, still just wasn’t up there with what ND, SSM, GG, SP, or other top-tier developers put out. Should Insomniac allow themselves to be bought by Sony, however, I think Sony will help build them into the top-tier developer status that has ever eluded them.

I will agree that R&C are a mildly good game, not impressive. But Spider-Man is great and was equivalent to top-tier devs.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

twintail said:
taus90 said:

Also I strongly feel sony will not buy any major studios, but instead several exclusive gaming deals, and i think major one could be GTA6.

There isn't a snowflakes chance in hell Sony (or anyone) is getting gta6 as an exclusive.

I dont mean out an out exclusive, I mean exclusive as in Watch dogs and Destiny kind Marketing or In game content, and with all the rumors that sony was in talks to acquire Take Two.. I dont think it was for the acquisition but more for some sort of an exclusive deal.