By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: 23 games sold over a million on Switch in the FY ending March 2019

GhaudePhaede010 said:
Wouldn't Mario + Rabbids be a third party million seller?

Not between April 1st 2018 and March 31st 2019 though. The game was released in August 2017 so it made most of its sales before April 2018 and therefore wouldn't be included in the 23 mentioned in the article.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 27 June 2019

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Only 23 games that have sold over a million copies? That sucks, that means VGC has overtracked quite a few. If you break up Pokemon LGPE, we have it at 26. So not by much, Still, if you assume our official shipped numbers are accurate, and that our sales estimates aren't off by all that much, then the only games that could be the three that we overtracked are Skyrim, FIFA 18, and Crash Trilogy. If Pokemon counts as one title in Nintendo's 23, then one of those three I mentioned is still a million seller. If Labo doesn't count as a game in Nintendo's mind, which I doubt, then we only overtracked one of those three. Probably not though, so best case we still overtracked 2 out of Skyrim, FIFA 18, and Crash. My money is on Crash being the one VGChartz's numbers are right about as a million seller.

On the other hand, Wii had 160+ million sellers, so one or two here and there for Switch changes pretty little in the long run.

curl-6 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
I wonder if they are counting free to play games as "Sold".

Almost certainly not. VGC numbers also list 23 million sellers on Switch. I know they're not the most accurate, but I doubt there's enough of them overtracked enough to fit the number of f2p games that would be over a million.

They should be basically accurate now, they consist mostly of official numbers from companies, including digital sales. VGChartz currently has 20 games as official Switch million sellers, and another 2, Minecraft and Mario+Rabbids, that are still old sales estimate data but are definitely million sellers. So 22 definite million sellers, none free to play, and three potential million sellers, Skyrim, FIFA 18, and Crash, that our numbers have as over a million but according to Nintendo apparently only one of them is.

SpokenTruth said:
Darwinianevolution said:

23? I thought they had at least 26... According to million sales reveals and VGC database. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239473&page=1#

See below.

HylianSwordsman said:
Only 23 games that have sold over a million copies? That sucks, that means VGC has overtracked quite a few. If you break up Pokemon LGPE, we have it at 26. So not by much, Still, if you assume our official shipped numbers are accurate, and that our sales estimates aren't off by all that much, then the only games that could be the three that we overtracked are Skyrim, FIFA 18, and Crash Trilogy. If Pokemon counts as one title in Nintendo's 23, then one of those three I mentioned is still a million seller. If Labo doesn't count as a game in Nintendo's mind, which I doubt, then we only overtracked one of those three. Probably not though, so best case we still overtracked 2 out of Skyrim, FIFA 18, and Crash. My money is on Crash being the one VGChartz's numbers are right about as a million seller.

On the other hand, Wii had 160+ million sellers, so one or two here and there for Switch changes pretty little in the long run.

Check out RolStoppable's excellent posts.  They explain in great detail what this actually means but I'll sum it up.

They had 23 million+ sellers of physical games just during the previous fiscal year....not all time.

Ah I understand now. I skimmed too quickly through the article, the bullet on million sellers didn't specifically mention that fiscal year, I assumed LTD. If I'd noticed those Mario Kart numbers, I think that would have clued me in. If those Mario Kart numbers are for its second year on the market though, damn, Mario Kart is the fucking king of evergreen titles. Holy shit. Only free to play, Minecraft, and GTA competes with that kind of evergreen power nowadays. It nearly doubled it sales in the second year!

RolStoppable said:

@curl-6 Your information is wrong.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/convocation_notice1906e.pdf

From page 7:

The results for this fiscal year showed strong software sales for Nintendo Switch, which contributed
to the expansion of hardware sales. In particular, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate recorded sales of 13.81
million units, while Pokémon Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon Let’s Go, Eevee! sold 10.63 million units
and Super Mario Party sold 6.4 million units, making them all major worldwide hits. In addition, Mario
Kart 8 Deluxe sold 7.47 million units. Combined with steadily-growing sales of titles released during
previous fiscal years and titles released by other software publishers, the total number of million-seller
titles during this fiscal year was 23. As a result, hardware sales for this fiscal year totaled 16.95 million
units (12.7% increase on a year-on-year basis), while 118.55 million software units were sold (86.7%
increase on a year-on-year basis).

So that's not 23 titles that have sold shipped 1m+ over the course of Switch's lifetime so far, but 23 titles that have sold shipped 1m+ copies during the fiscal year April 1st 2018 to March 31st 2019. This means that games that were released before April 1st 2018 started at sales shipments of 0 again, because it's all about sales shipments during a certain 12-month-period.

For those wondering if the 7.47m figure for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is correct, yes, it is. That's how many copies the game sold shipped during the previous fiscal year.

EDIT: Adjusted all sales-related words to shipments for more clarity.

Also, this information was put on Nintendo's corporate website on June 3rd, so it's not exactly new. The information got reiterated at this week's shareholder meeting.

RolStoppable said:

Page 5 of the supplementary information lists the Nintendo titles that shipped 1m+ copies during the fiscal year. Please note that the figures I post only cover the 12-month-period and are therefore not LTD figures for games that released before April 1st 2018.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190425_3e.pdf

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 13.81m
Pokémon: Let's Go, Evee/Pikachu! - 10.63m
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 7.47m
Super Mario Party - 6.40m
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 4.30m
Super Mario Odyssey - 4.04m
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 3.31m
Splatoon 2 - 2.69m
Mario Tennis Aces - 2.64m
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 2.25m
Kirby Star Allies - 1.30m
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 1.18m
Octopath Traveler - 1.17m*
Yoshi's Crafted World - 1.11m
Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit - 1.09m

*Octopath Traveler was published by Nintendo outside of Japan. The figure does not include sales of the game in Japan.

That's 15 of the 23 games covered, one of which (Octopath Traveler) is actually a third party game. So 14 of the 23 million sellers are Nintendo games, the remaining nine are third party titles.

Thanks man, OP and thread title revised.

Sorry it took so long, I had an evening gig last night and crashed as soon as I got home, so I was last online about 5:30pm and didn't check back in until now, 9am next morning.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Not between April 1st 2018 and March 31st 2019 though. The game was released in August 2017 so it made most of its sales before April 2018 and therefore wouldn't be included in the 23 mentioned in the article.

Unless you have a source that breaks down shipments for Mario + Rabbids per fiscal year, it can't be ruled out that it broke the 1m mark during the fiscal year ending March 2019. The game has seen a permanent price drop from $/€60 to $/€40 and Ubisoft frequently runs discounts of their Switch games where Mario + Rabbids is 50% off every time, so it's only $/€20. It's more probable than not that Mario + Rabbids is one of the third party million sellers.

I guess you're right. All I can find is more than 2m announced in Sept 2018 and 2.59m as of December 29th 2018 which doesn't rule out the possibility of 1m in the 2018-2019 fiscal year.

Signature goes here!

RolStoppable said:

curl-6 said:

Thanks man, OP and thread title revised.

Sorry it took so long, I had an evening gig last night and crashed as soon as I got home, so I was last online about 5:30pm and didn't check back in until now, 9am next morning.

I know that you live in Australia and what timezone that is. It didn't surprise me that you weren't around to update the OP quickly.

You could still add the list of the 15 confirmed million sellers to the OP though.

Done.

jonathanalis said:

9 1+ million games published by third parties from mar 2018 -- mar2019, and only those who have physical release, right?
Impressive.
The list I bet:
minecraft, crash, diablo 3, skyrim, starlink, hyrule warriors(isnt published by nintendo, right?), dragon ball fighter Z, fifa19, just dance19

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is confirmed by Capcom to be one of them.

And Hyrule Warriors is published by Nintendo.

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is confirmed by Capcom to be one of them.

Wait, it did ?! Where the hell did it get these legs. I remember that it released quite low key in August 2017 ...

https://gonintendo.com/stories/328298-monster-hunter-generations-ultimate-moves-1-2-million-on-switch

1.2 million on Switch as of the 8th of February this year.

Best add this news to the Switch million seller thread if anyone has the link still.

CaptainExplosion said:
curl-6 said:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/338683-nintendo-79th-annual-general-meeting-of-shareholders-q-a-info-s

EDIT: Cheers to Rol for the clarification; this is 23 games selling over a million during the financial year from 1st April 2018 to 31st March 2019, not lifetime.

Given the numbers we have for their first party software, (see below) that means 9 third party games sold over a million copies during that period.

[Confirmed First Party Million+ sellers for this period:

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 13.81m
Pokémon: Let's Go, Evee/Pikachu! - 10.63m
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 7.47m
Super Mario Party - 6.40m
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 4.30m
Super Mario Odyssey - 4.04m
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 3.31m
Splatoon 2 - 2.69m
Mario Tennis Aces - 2.64m
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 2.25m
Kirby Star Allies - 1.30m
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 1.18m
Yoshi's Crafted World - 1.11m
Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit - 1.09m

Total: 14]

Why are the Splatoon 2 and Breath of The Wild numbers so low here?

If you read what is underlined in the pots you quoted, you will note that the sales numbers are for sales between the dates 4/1/18 and 3/31/19

Splatoon and BotW got most of their sales before those dates.