By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: 23 games sold over a million on Switch in the FY ending March 2019

KLXVER said:
Mario Kart 8 DX at 7.47M? VGC has that at 13.05M...

Yeah. I was about to talk about how good it is that Pokémon Let's Go sales tanked this year, then I saw the Mario Kart 8 number and went like... yeah, okay, no lol. Weird stuff going on with that article.

If the 23 million-sellers thing is actually true, though, it'd be nice to know which games they are.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
KLXVER said:
Mario Kart 8 DX at 7.47M? VGC has that at 13.05M...

Yeah. I was about to talk about how good it is that Pokémon Let's Go sales tanked this year, then I saw the Mario Kart 8 number and went like... yeah, okay, no lol. Weird stuff going on with that article.

If the 23 million-sellers thing is actually true, though, it'd be nice to know which games they are.

Probably 20 Nintendo games and Skyrim, Fifa 18 and Diablo 3.

@curl-6 Your information is wrong.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/convocation_notice1906e.pdf

From page 7:

The results for this fiscal year showed strong software sales for Nintendo Switch, which contributed
to the expansion of hardware sales. In particular, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate recorded sales of 13.81
million units, while Pokémon Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon Let’s Go, Eevee! sold 10.63 million units
and Super Mario Party sold 6.4 million units, making them all major worldwide hits. In addition, Mario
Kart 8 Deluxe sold 7.47 million units. Combined with steadily-growing sales of titles released during
previous fiscal years and titles released by other software publishers, the total number of million-seller
titles during this fiscal year was 23. As a result, hardware sales for this fiscal year totaled 16.95 million
units (12.7% increase on a year-on-year basis), while 118.55 million software units were sold (86.7%
increase on a year-on-year basis).

So that's not 23 titles that have sold shipped 1m+ over the course of Switch's lifetime so far, but 23 titles that have sold shipped 1m+ copies during the fiscal year April 1st 2018 to March 31st 2019. This means that games that were released before April 1st 2018 started at sales shipments of 0 again, because it's all about sales shipments during a certain 12-month-period.

For those wondering if the 7.47m figure for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is correct, yes, it is. That's how many copies the game sold shipped during the previous fiscal year.

EDIT: Adjusted all sales-related words to shipments for more clarity.

Also, this information was put on Nintendo's corporate website on June 3rd, so it's not exactly new. The information got reiterated at this week's shareholder meeting.

Last edited by RolStoppable - on 27 June 2019

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:

@curl-6 Your information is wrong.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/convocation_notice1906e.pdf

From page 7:

The results for this fiscal year showed strong software sales for Nintendo Switch, which contributed
to the expansion of hardware sales. In particular, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate recorded sales of 13.81
million units, while Pokémon Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon Let’s Go, Eevee! sold 10.63 million units
and Super Mario Party sold 6.4 million units, making them all major worldwide hits. In addition, Mario
Kart 8 Deluxe sold 7.47 million units. Combined with steadily-growing sales of titles released during
previous fiscal years and titles released by other software publishers, the total number of million-seller
titles during this fiscal year was 23. As a result, hardware sales for this fiscal year totaled 16.95 million
units (12.7% increase on a year-on-year basis), while 118.55 million software units were sold (86.7%
increase on a year-on-year basis).

So that's not 23 titles that have sold 1m+ over the course of Switch's lifetime so far, but 23 titles that have sold 1m+ copies during the fiscal year April 1st 2018 to March 31st 2019. This means that games that were released before April 1st 2018 started at sales of 0 again, because it's all about sales during a certain 12-month-period.

For those wondering if the 7.47m figure for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is correct, yes, it is. That's how many copies the game sold during the previous fiscal year.

That makes these numbers much more impressive all around.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Page 5 of the supplementary information lists the Nintendo titles that shipped 1m+ copies during the fiscal year. Please note that the figures I post only cover the 12-month-period and are therefore not LTD figures for games that released before April 1st 2018.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190425_3e.pdf

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 13.81m
Pokémon: Let's Go, Evee/Pikachu! - 10.63m
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 7.47m
Super Mario Party - 6.40m
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 4.30m
Super Mario Odyssey - 4.04m
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 3.31m
Splatoon 2 - 2.69m
Mario Tennis Aces - 2.64m
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 2.25m
Kirby Star Allies - 1.30m
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 1.18m
Octopath Traveler - 1.17m*
Yoshi's Crafted World - 1.11m
Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit - 1.09m

*Octopath Traveler was published by Nintendo outside of Japan. The figure does not include sales of the game in Japan.

That's 15 of the 23 games covered, one of which (Octopath Traveler) is actually a third party game. So 14 of the 23 million sellers are Nintendo games, the remaining nine are third party titles.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
I wonder if they are counting free to play games as "Sold".

Almost certainly not. VGC numbers also list 23 million sellers on Switch. I know they're not the most accurate, but I doubt there's enough of them overtracked enough to fit the number of f2p games that would be over a million.

Oh thank God. The eShop's list of best selling games always has some free to play stuff listed at the top. So, I was worried that Nintendo's marketing team was using to the same backwards logic to arrive at 23 million sellers. 

The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
curl-6 said:

Almost certainly not. VGC numbers also list 23 million sellers on Switch. I know they're not the most accurate, but I doubt there's enough of them overtracked enough to fit the number of f2p games that would be over a million.

Oh thank God. The eShop's list of best selling games always has some free to play stuff listed at the top. So, I was worried that Nintendo's marketing team was using to the same backwards logic to arrive at 23 million sellers. 

The list you are looking at must be the one that arrives on the Switch's news feed every month and that one is labeled as 'most downloaded games of the past month', that's why free to play games are on it. The eShop itself has two lists:

1. Best-selling games during the past 14 days (I think it's two weeks). This includes all games with a price tag.
2. Best-selling games during the past 14 days, digital-only. This excludes all games that have a physical version available.

Both lists do not feature free to play games. At least that's how everything is in Europe.

Also, this topic isn't about Nintendo's marketing team, but concrete financial data. Said methodology does not include free to play games nor titles that are only available in a digital format. So the nine third party titles among those 23 million sellers are games that have a boxed version.

I think they're might be a good chance that some of these titles are indies (like Overcooked !, Hollow Knight, etc ...)

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

RolStoppable said: 

So that's not 23 titles that have sold shipped 1m+ over the course of Switch's lifetime so far, but 23 titles that have sold shipped 1m+ copies during the fiscal year April 1st 2018 to March 31st 2019.

oh

9 1+ million games published by third parties from mar 2018 -- mar2019, and only those who have physical release, right?
Impressive.
The list I bet:
minecraft, crash, diablo 3, skyrim, starlink, hyrule warriors(isnt published by nintendo, right?), dragon ball fighter Z, fifa19, just dance19