By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Official Tales of Vesperia NEWS Thread

Game Watch has their version of the interview up.

Some points:
-The Tales series has their own type of cel-shading style that's differentiates them from games like Idolm@ster or Trusty Bell
-Scenes animated by I.G. Productions will be in 720P
-Text made to be readable with with SD resolutions and small monitors in mind
-The base for the combat system is the TOA battle system
-4 player Co-Op. Online play was considered, but rejected
-Battles are 60 FPS

GameSpot Hands-On

The limited demo kicked off shortly after the proper start of the game and found us meeting up with main character Yuri and his motley crew of a party: Karol, Estelle, Rita, and gaming's most awesome canine character since Amaterasu, Repede, a pipe-smoking dog. The quintet arrive at an area known as Ehmead Hill, and after some hijinks ensue (Yuri's a bit of a rebel and sort of a wanted man), they set out to do some exploring. The real-time cutscene already featured full voice, with passable voice acting. Namco reps also noted that the skit interactions between the characters will feature full voice, which is a first for the series.

Gameplay was pretty much what you'd expect from a Tales game. There was exploration and, when we came across enemies, combat. Battles still play out in real time with the option to stop the action to make item choices. You'll be able to assign attacks and spells to the controller buttons to let you string together your own unique attack combos, which is always a good touch. New to Vesperia is a much more timing-based combo system that will require you to mash buttons quickly and in the right combinations. It's an interesting new wrinkle to the system that will take some time to absorb. We're curious to see how it works out in the final game. Finally, we were able to confirm with Namco reps that cooking will appear in Tales of Vesperia, so we look forward to getting our sandwich on.

SEXY PIC ^^

Around the Network

Awesome. More rpg goodness for the 360.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

My most anticipated game of the year

My girlfriend's most anticipated RPG of the year. Definately a day-1 purchase. 4 player Co-Op (offline) is going to be a BLAST!

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Good find. Another promising RPG to add to my every growing collection of 360 RPGs. If it weren't for the DS and the 360 I'd be suffering from JRPG withdrawal.

Around the Network

Is this confirmed for NA and (more importantly) Europe?!

If so, i'm sooooo getting it.

.:Dark Prince:. said:
Is this confirmed for NA and (more importantly) Europe?!

If so, i'm sooooo getting it.

It has been confirmed for NA release.  Not sure about Europe.  The game is not a definite purchase for me but I am definitely interested.  It is just a matter of whether or not I am busy playing other games when it comes out.  Especially since it is apprently coming out this fall which is when Fallout 3 and Fable 2 are going to be released

Stop the presses. Who said skits with voices will be a first for the series? Namco or Gamespot? Someone got things mixed up, Tales of Legendia had voice in skits. However, the second half of the game (american version) had no voice at all. Also, the remakes of older Tales games had skits with voices (like Phantasia PSP version). I wonder if Namco mixed things up or Gamestop is just talking about things they don`t know about.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Looks like making Eternal Sonata was useful, cause this game looks stunning. Never played much of any Tales game, just bought Symphonia but this is definitely on my list.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
Looks like making Eternal Sonata was useful, cause this game looks stunning. Never played much of any Tales game, just bought Symphonia but this is definitely on my list.
I guess it looks nice in its own way, but after watching that new Naruto trailer, my eyes have been spoiled.

Still looking forward to this game though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags?