By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Goodbye from Helloplite

Most of you probably don't know me, but I have been around for quite a while. This was an alt account first started on GameFAQs, (I was Grey Rain Cloud on GameFAQs, since 2001), and I had long been using VGChartz exclusively as the community on GameFAQs had deteriorated after 2010 or so. 

Sadly, I have found the quality of moderation here to have become sub-par as well, and I no longer feel welcome here.

Posters whose clear intention is to invite a flame war are and rewarded and those caught up in it are punished. It shouldn't be like this. I believe this is not a safe community for everyone.

I have been a reader and follower of VGChartz since before it became professional - back when it was merely a live counter. I want to thank those who held honest, intelligent and critical conversations with me, in the spirit of an open gaming community.

I am grateful for a lot, but no longer hopeful I have seen the worst. My trust that moderators actually have the best interests of the community in mind are torn, and as such this will be my final post and message.

I wish you all, and VGChartz specifically as a website, the best. I hold absolutely no grudge, but I'm too old to waste time and energy on things I can't have any influence on.

Thank you all!

Last edited by Helloplite - on 12 June 2019

Around the Network

I'll be honest, I wouldn't question the mods for ever banning someone for diving straight to personal attacks rather than use the report system to get a thread closed. Especially someone who posts once every 5.4 days on average on here, it's very tough to get a feel for a user's "humour" when posting so rarely.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9018203

Edit - I mean... if you go back 7 of your posts you find yourself in August 2018 questioning why another thread is there. That's less than a post per month and 2 of them are questioning why threads have been made.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8873588

Last edited by Ganoncrotch - on 12 June 2019

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
I'll be honest, I wouldn't question the mods for ever banning someone for diving straight to personal attacks rather than use the report system to get a thread closed. Especially someone who posts once every 5.4 days on average on here, it's very tough to get a feel for a user's "humour" when posting so rarely.

A fine comment if that was truly what occurred, but I had reported it. It was never addressed.

The quantity or regularity of my posts are not in question. I was a daily visitor of this website since before this account was even made - checking everything from sales statistics to various topics. I was involved with VGChartz as a daily visitor since before the now iconic article on Gamasutra exploring VGChartz's sales statistics / and the numerous conversations on GameSpot/GameFAQs defending/condemning the website (that was way back in 2008). 

I usually refrained from voicing my opinion, but you can find plenty of meaningful contributions I've had in the past.

At the end of the day, I'm avoiding any confrontation from here on. Hence why this is the end for me on this website. Thank you for your input and opinion. 

Last edited by Helloplite - on 12 June 2019

Helloplite said:
Ganoncrotch said:

A fine comment if that was truly what occurred, but I had reported it. It was never addressed.

The quantity or regularity of my posts are not in question. I was a daily visitor of this website since before this account was even made - checking everything from sales statistics to various topics. I usually refrained from voicing my opinion, but you can find plenty of meaningful contributions I've had in the past.

At the end of the day, I'm avoiding any confrontation from here on. Hence why this is the end for me on this website. Thank you for your input and opinion. 

The Thread was made on June 3rd, your post was made June 3rd, that means you left less than 24 hours after reporting before you "took actions into your own hands" moderations/action on here take time, very rarely (never) do you see a moderator get a report and act on it themselves without first consulting with the other mods, even in cases where a thread needs to be closed it will have the input of a bunch of different mods behind the scenes before action is taken.

There is a moderator thread on here and a email address for the head mods if you wanted to raise grievances with them over it, those would have been better first choices than this thread I feel and if you have read a lot of posts here while you lurked not posting you would likely have seen a scenario like this kicking off before with other users.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Thread title means I couldn't get this outta my head.... so here ya go! Good luck if you are heading away from VGchartz! Remember there are far worse places on the internet than here!

Around the Network

I don't know you well by forum standards, but I certainly recognize you. Never like to see a member leave, but if you do make it permanent, good luck and farewell.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

If anything I think vgcz bans to many people..... theres so few of us left already.

You can't really blame the current mods that much because this system of "you can troll and flame all you want if you know the hidden rules" has been around for many years. It's part of the VGC culture, at this point, even if it does result in an uneven playing field that runs away new members.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Ganoncrotch said:

Edit - I mean... if you go back 7 of your posts you find yourself in August 2018 questioning why another thread is there. That's less than a post per month and 2 of them are questioning why threads have been made.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8873588

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.