By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Epic Games Upsetting customers

With all the money Epic has you'd think they could afford some competent strategists. -_-'

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
Im getting bored with the hate on tencent, just like im bored with the ea hate, the dlc, microtransaction hate, trumphate, theresahate etc et

Lol what has tencent ever done.  I hate EA but least they have old ips that they may neglect but I still respect.  Tencent is just Chinese mobile shit.

Watched the video. I feel that the vid's pretty much fearmongering. Price wars exist in just about any industry. Epic isn't even the market leader, Steam is. Epic is just trying to take market share from their competitors and this is one way to do it while they still have the liquidity (due to the success of FN) and this is a pretty valid tactic to do so. Don't get me wrong, I hate the Epic store (not planning on ever getting it either, just Steam for me) and there's really more to complain about if we're discussing them trying to exclusivize games (w/c is also a valid tactic but is anti-consumer) by bribing devs but them discounting games w/c would force competitors to either react and offer something better or lose market share is really not something I would want to complain about. As for the devs complaining about the reduction of price devaluing their game, I think there is a bit of validity to it (I guess? I feel it is a bit far fetched tbh) but I can't really see a potential customer NOT buying a dev's game at all just because it is cheaper in another store. If anything, the customer would consider either buying the game they want at the more expensive store or if they are willing to go thru the switch (I would most likely stay with the current service I am on. I like Steam and don't plan to transfer just because I gotta pay a few more extra bucks).

I feel the concern he has is about the rise of a possible monopoly thru tactics like these is also a bit of a logical reach. Market leaders are the ones that establish monopolies by crushing their competitors. So far Epic has to compete with the likes of MS, EA store and Steam and I feel it's a bit too soon to be concerned about any monopolies coming up when there is robust competition with such deep pockets.

Heck, it's not even a very smart tactic tbh. Trying to price war against larger competitors who have a more diverse array of income streams (whereas I feel Epic is depending too much on FN revenue) means that the second interest on their main income earner starts to dwindle, there is a good chance they will not be able to maintain this kind of aggressive posturing. In w/c case, losing their main draw (big phat discounts and exclusive content via bribed devs) and not building a solid relationship with their primary market (due to inferior service compared to its competitors) and the bad PR they are getting (exclusivizing beloved games like Borderlands isn't doing their PR any good), would likely hurt their growth in the long run. Hey, I'm not an expert or anything of course (well, I did graduate Business and that is what I do for a living but I'm not a video game industry expert I mean). Basically, the next fad game coming out is essentially their deadline to secure their market share

Last edited by DrDoomz - on 19 May 2019

forest-spirit said:

With all the money Epic has you'd think they could afford some competent strategists. -_-'

I'm actually still amazed at this point, that Epic have seemingly never bothered to pour a few million from their Fornite war-chest, to fund some company/client R&D. Like, R&D is the backbone, go-to method of making your company what it is, making it stand out and understanding your product, as well as your competition. 

I guess the only R&D type action they undertook, was spying onS team with Steam-spy, but refusing to do the same for their own storefront (for literally no good reason why they can't do it). 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Conina said:
the-pi-guy said:

Developers taking their game off the market during sales week is nothing to complain about. 

Yeah, a few developers do that, the rest of the developers seem to be okay with getting the full price for their games within that sale while their customers get a good deal.

But these developers aren't the customers, so again: wrong thread title.

The headline is more alluding to the fact that there is still no shopping cart. Which means if you want to splurge you have to go through the purchase process multiple times, which can be upsetting.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I actually start feeling tiny little bit sorry for Epic Games. So much pressure to develop perfect store

Eat, bark, love.

stirling is a stupid idiot. EGS is pretty cool the roadmap for it looks very good. i bought a pre purchase of beyond 2 souls for 5.4

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:
stirling is a stupid idiot. EGS is pretty cool the roadmap for it looks very good. i bought a pre purchase of beyond 2 souls for 5.4

The roadmap is cool... but that's mostly basic features a shop ought to have from it's inception. There's no excuse for lacking basic features in a store that's already several months old.

Akdana said:
I actually start feeling tiny little bit sorry for Epic Games. So much pressure to develop perfect store

They kinda brought it onto themselves. There is really no excuse for putting out a store that's so bare of features. It's not like they're the first to do this. All this does is giving free fuel to the haters.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Skeeuk said:

The roadmap is cool... but that's mostly basic features a shop ought to have from it's inception. There's no excuse for lacking basic features in a store that's already several months old.

Yes but those features will be there. Let's say in 4 months it has lots of new features for someone looking to jump into pc gaming they won't be saying it should have been there from the start etc. 

I think EGS will end up the goto place for AAA games on pc 

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...