By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The state of this forum

Some factors that made me lose interest in this site:

-Some users still expressing particular viewpoints when it comes to preferred consoles and not showing any improvements to better themselves 5 years later gets tiring (idc if I get banned for saying this).
-Had some bad blood with a few users some years ago in Skype which sorta demotivated me to come here super often, even if those people are long gone in my life now.
-Declining interest in some game events I used to host here, now it seems no one cares anymore lol.
-I find game discussion on sites like Twitter and Reddit more appropriate for my life style nowadays, since I feel I don't have time to scroll through a bunch of threads with topics I don't care about, or the same question/poll type threads with the same topics I've seen before.

Only reason I stick around here is to occasionally update Game DB stuff, which is not super often, or speak my mind in topics I do find interesting, which only happens on average, 1-2 times a week.

These are just personal factors, these definitely don't apply to everyone, and it's probably not gonna provide good advice for this problem, just my personal input and viewpoint.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Our site hasn't been mentioned as much for sales because we've had a harder time tracking them (and are the only site to attempt to do it in such a fashion — this is often overlooked).

Most of the main functional complaints I hear don't even scratch the surface of understanding to the work staff has put into the site (particularly Machina, Talon, Trucks, Trunks, hell, all of the Site Admins, the GDB Staff, and our Writers). They are constantly trying to figure out new ways to implement updated functions and/or re-write code.

I get the issues people have, but I also see what goes into the work here more than many. Site traffic reduction cannot be pinned down to any one thing. This is on top of the fact that we still have a pretty actve scene. Other places, such as Gamersyde and Gamefaqs have seen a far steeper decline in activity over the years. 

Once the new consoles are set to launch, traffic will increase in a substantial way.

I haven't seen anyone (In this thread, at least) disparage the work done by the people you mentioned.  I'm pretty sure everyone appreciates everything they do.  I know I do.  

But, the whole point of this thread is to discuss possible causes and solutions to the reduction in traffic here.  As such, mentions of technical issues, dislikes, and basically anything else of the sort strike me as constructive criticism, if it can even be considered criticism at all.  

Further, declines in other forums do not change the fact that we're seeing declines in traffic here.  People love this place, and they want to preserve it, regardless of what happens to gamefaqs or any other site.  

With that said, I know it's tough for the people that put so much work into this site to read a thread about problems.  I encourage you all to try to look at it in the spirit in which it (presumably) was intended - helpful.  

TalonMan said:
FloatingWaffles said:

I've been here since 2015 and I still view the site regularly but I can also say that my posting has also dropped a bit, at least compared to what it used to be. There's just not much interesting on this site currently, especially after the sales charts went away, but in that case I fully understand why that happened and how it's better for the site ultimately.

As others have mentioned though:

1) Attempting to use this site on mobile is literally pointless as it's a nightmare that has still not been fixed. The site shows up as unsafe on desktop/mobile and the amount of ads make it unusable, at one point I was honestly worried that it might have put a malware/adware on my phone because one of the ads got selected by mistake because of how messy the site is so I don't ever bother trying to view it there anymore.

2) For as much improvements there have been made to the site the past few months, there are still some things that make no sense for what should be a modern website. A while back I was trying to look up what were considered "classic" threads on this site for a good laugh and wanted to find the "Are you a virgin" thread since I remembered that one and you would think a simple google search or website search would find it but nope, it's like it doesn't even exist anymore no matter what I typed. Why is even trying to find something as simple as a single thread here still so complicated/impossible?

3) I think overall the mod team does a good job and doesn't really restrict conversation, outside of super extreme situations, but there have been times in the past where I remembered seeing people get banned/warned/moderated for such simple posts that I ended up thinking "Wow, they got banned just for that?" to myself. It happened so often that at one point I remember making a post thinking I would probably be banned for it despite not even saying anything really bad in said post, just because someone or a mod might take it that way. I'm not sure how often this happens now, or if it's even an issue anymore, but I do think that probably contributed to some leaving as well over the years.

4) I do think the sales charts, which should have been the differentiating feature that brought people into the site, ultimately might have hurt it more in the long run. A lot of the time they were incorrect, to the point where it got the reputation of being super inaccurate and not to be used seriously, etc. Even for people who used this site it became that same thing of not even using them because who knows if they are correct or not, which is why I say while it sucks since they were fun to look at, I think it's ultimately better for the site that it goes with actual shipping data instead. 

Ever since 2015 this is really the only site I use for talking about video games outside of reddit, so hopefully things can get better, and the amount of site improvements over the past few months are definitely a good start. With next-gen around the corner hopefully that can be a fresher start. :P 

1) Fair enough - I think we're all pretty much in-tune to the fact that shoe-horning a website from 2006 into a "mobile friendly" environment (with a team of one or two developers), is a pretty daunting task. That said, beyond just saying "it's a nightmare", why not offer some specifics so I can help? We have an entire board dedicated to fixing and enhancing the website, and I'm ALWAYS open to helping people with fixing stuff (hell, I spent an entire day cleaning the profile pages to ENSURE they would work nicely on mobile, with guys like @Ryuu96 nitpicking every border and pixel he could find!!) - so long as your sole idea isn't "These ads need to go away" (as this has been discussed, ad nauseam). So, if you have some specific problems - why not spend a few minutes and let me know what they are???

2) If your sole example of this, is the thread searching - then there's not much I can do to help. The forum searching was fixed awhile ago, and (so far as I know) works just fine. If, however, you are searching for an incredibly old thread, there's a good chance it's just gone or unsearchable. I don't know the specifics (it's something that apparently happened before I came back), but really, really old threads seem to have disappeared from the site at some point. There's also a limitation that was added to the search (it only goes back 90 days) - I assume it was added for performance reasons, but I have no idea. 

1) Oh yeah, for sure. Sorry, didn't mean to just sound as if I wasn't trying to offer anything helpful, it's just that I don't know the specifics of this stuff so my descriptions might sound dumb lol. :P Would you happen to actually know why this site shows up as not secure for people? I've always seen it but never known why and I could see that turning people off from posting if they think it's unsafe doing so. I also feel like the layout where it's basically just everything from top to bottom could be better improved if things were possibly compressed to show more on the screen at once. As i'm attempting to scroll back up on the main site on mobile it's also taking really long because it's dragging down the entire page as well instead of just scrolling back up.

2) It's not exactly my sole example of it, it's just one of the more recent ones i've had where it was for some reason super complicated and basically impossible to find an old thread, where as usually on any other site you can quickly find through a website/google search. The only way I actually ended up being able to find some older threads (even some from 2008) was by going through ioi's post history because I remembered him posting in that thread lmao, so surely they must still exist then? It's just finding them specifically that is weird for some reason. :P So basically any thread that is 90+ days old is unsearchable then unless we can find the specific link through other means? If so that's a shame. :(

BasilZero said:
Cobretti2 said:
Here is another question, for those who go to other gaming sites.

How do they fair compared to VGChartz?

Way more activity from posters

Way more information and discussion posted (News articles, announcements, game OTs, platform OTs, etc)

No signatures, no intrusive ads, a great mobile version of the site, 2FA support, user block ability, easy to use UI, watch thread ability, dark theme.

Two main sections with two sub sections to each other - not too cluttered and nothing too flashy - gets the job done.

Well, unlike that place you're describing, this forum is not a huge hive mind 

Edit: I think another problem is that sadly the site's numbers have the bad fame of being unreliable so less people are willing to check for numbers here.

Last edited by Keybladewielder - on 05 May 2019

Cant expect this place to be active when theres rarely ever worthwhile conversations to be had 🤷
Whenever I come back all I see is non gaming stuff or fanboy BS, shit when I find a thread that seems interesting it usually just ends up being filled with petty drama and arguing anyway
The website has an identity crisis, the place is dated but the conversation lends itself to the younger generation who have the time to waste with online video game drama.

Around the Network

And the question is does the postban effect the banned badges?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I think two more points should be noted: Competition and fatigue.Ill name people just for the sake of giving examples, I dont mean to fight or to provoke anyone.

Competition is pretty obvious.Discord have sucked alot of traffic from (probably) alot of forums, since it is more convenient for alot of people.

But I think that, at least for VGC, fatigue is the biggest problem of all.Not necessarily from the forum itself, but rather from its users.Its hard to explain, but I think that everyone who has been here at least two years or so understand the feeling its ideas being dismissed or disliked, of ideas that you are so passioned about and people brushing it off or being agressive.

And I mean, thats no one fault.I think we all here are passionate about a game or another, and about one or two topics.And the same will be true about the opossite, about people being completely oppossed about a stance or another.That on itself isnt a problem.Most of the users can take the hit and move on, or understands that its all a discussion and thats how things work.But then it happens one time.Then two.Then five.Then 10 times.By the time you noticed, you are either so used to the forum or so tired of your opinions being either treated as "garbage" or stupid, that you either lash out, or get tired of participating.

Just to give an example of this:I am certainly part of this trend, having recently discussed with Chazore on a similar level, when he made the topic about Epic buying Psyonix.I am one that dosent care that much about PC gaming(though I do play on PC) and favor more consoles, and Chazore is one that loves PC and(and thats my impression) cares little if nothing about consoles.So obviosly we didnt see eye to eye.But since I already had an history with him, here and on discord, I already started the discussion with my left foot.And while it was wrong, I will admit I enjoyed it.And I think thats one of the biggest problems of this forum.People, myself included, eventually takes things personally.I have been blocked off from Versus profile, I have been called a Nintendo fanboy worse than goodnightschroom(I think thats his name) by Pokoko(why, only god knows).

And that accumulates.And people stop discussing with you, with your threads.And you do the same.And thus the cycle continues.Thats why new users are so important, but they are not joining by the reasons people have already stated here.

I dont know, I dont think VGC is that bad in terms of engagement, but yeah we arent as active as Resetera.But I think thats also the reason why you feel as you do about this forum Zuzek, being so small that you know most users.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Thats cuz giving critism without proof and mindless bashing is the best way to give feedback, didnt you know Talon?

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Nautilus said:
Well, I personally dont have time to participate as much as I did anymore, so there is that.

But honestly, alot of old users moved from here to discord.Its not like they stopped discussing stuff, but they prefer to talk about things over at discord, probably because people over there share the same view, so there is less friction.As a result, people like Wright, Raven, Shadow, and many others just stopped posting here, even if they still lurk.

Other reasons for new users not comming in is the horrible ads that run rampant here.Im good because I use adblock, but without it is freaking horrible.

well i seen discord mentioned a few times. so i googled it.

Looks like a fancier IRC tbh with voice chat added lol.

Says the guy who cant recognise true alts lul