By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MGS4 and Final Fantasy xiii japan. ps3 saviour or not?

To win japan u dont need 4-5 big titles only.. You need a ton of idiotic japan only games, games that all others dont even understand, the ps2 and the wii now have a lot.

FFXIII will have an impact as well as GT5 and MGS4, but it wont be enough. Not that i care who wins japan, I just wish to see KH3 with epic graphics.

I like technology when its moving forward..

PSN: methys

Around the Network

I just think your guys have some strange thoughts, if square-enix is only thinking on profit, why isn't Star Ocean 4 not coming for Wii? Actually why don't they stop with making Wii/360/PS3 games and only make DS games.

DS games=most profit

And also don't let us forget about White Knight Story, The Last Remnant and Eternal Sonata. Small games, but they will all give a boost.

And I expect that MGS4 is going to sell 1 million in Japan alone. (the expectations of konami btw) Why? This game is going to be ONE of the games in this generation. And I'm pretty sure this is going to be the most popular MGS game in Japan. Also don't forget that the limited editon PS3 MGS4 was already sold out within a few days, that does mean something right?

Kingsora_be said:

I just think your guys have some strange thoughts, if square-enix is only thinking on profit, why isn't Star Ocean 4 not coming for Wii? Actually why don't they stop with making Wii/360/PS3 games and only make DS games.

We don't know yet where Star Ocean will go, but I assume a HD console. These games take 3 years to make. When development began everyone was convinced that PS3 would easily win this gen. That's why so many big games are coming. Development started 3 years ago. 

Because a) A company must spread its risk and b) different platforms have a business opportunity. But further on in every generation, when it becomes clear who has the biggest userbase, more and more games will come to a single platform. Handhelds and consoles are different markets really. 

DS games=most profit

And also don't let us forget about White Knight Story, The Last Remnant and Eternal Sonata. Small games, but they will all give a boost.

These games are easily smaller than Yakuza, Dynasty Warriors, Devil May Cry, Minna no Golf and Gundam. They didn't really give a boost, did they?

And I expect that MGS4 is going to sell 1 million in Japan alone. (the expectations of konami btw) Why? This game is going to be ONE of the games in this generation. And I'm pretty sure this is going to be the most popular MGS game in Japan. Also don't forget that the limited editon PS3 MGS4 was already sold out within a few days, that does mean something right?

Maybe MGS4 will sell a million in Japan, but the maximum console boost can't be higher than around 300.000 on a game that sells a million. Don't forget that the really hardcore Sony fans already have their PS3's. We don't know how much MGS-PS3 there are, so that's pure speculation, but we can say that 100.000 is not really limited. The Yakuza PS3 only had 12.000 units. 

Soriku said:
cwbys21 said:
Why does the Kingdom Hearts 3 argument always pop up? The Kingdom Hearts team is currently working on FFv13, meaning it isn't even in pre-production yet. The people who make decisions at SE probably haven't even thought for two seconds about which system it will be on.

And Soriku, I have a hard time believing that SE would give full rights to Kingdom Hearts to Disney because if they did then Disney could one day decide to take the franchise and have another company work on it. SE would then have created a kick ass franchise and then get nothing from it. The decision makers at SE will probably sit down with people at Disney (or most likely a conference call) and decide in an afternoon what console it should be on. Remember also that the Wii isn't going to keep selling out forever and they may decide that to do what they really want to do with the franchise it could go PS360. The PS360 is bigger than the Wii in sales so it is a possibility.

*cough cough*

© Disney Enterprises, Inc.

Developed by SQUARE ENIX.

© Disney. Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas © Touchstone Pictures. Developed by SQUARE ENIX. Characters from FINAL FANTASY video game series: © 1990, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2005 Square Enix Co., Ltd. All Rights Reserved. SQUARE ENIX and the SQUARE ENIX logo are trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.

^ From www.kingdomhearts.com

And if that isn't enough (it should), Disney made their own KH game for mobile phones. Disney owned the KH IP right from the first game.

I know that, it says the same thing on the box.  All I'm saying is, one argument and Disney could take Kingdom Hearts and give it to the people who made their crappy movie->games knockoffs and make money off of it and ruin a game that SE made hugely popular.  I just think there is something in the contract that wouldn't give Disney full power over the franchise because that would be rather stupid on SE part.

BengaBenga said:
Kingsora_be said:
You people just want KH3 on the Wii, because you don't want to have a reason to buy a PS3. Do you guys really think that you would have the best KH3 experience on the Wii????????

And if all developers have to follow your perspective why don't they make Wii and DS games only. Actually if you consider about is, it's better for Microsoft and Sony to close their doors and start making Wii games...

Btw Forbidder Siren is going to be released in July for PS3, and how big is that franchise in Japan??

And ow yeah don't underestimate power of MGS4. That game has an enormous hype ^^

The best experience is totally irrelevant, because SE/Disney have only one goal and that is profit. Besides KH on the PS2 had a really boring gameplay (Sorry Soriku, I love the game, but too much button mashing), that could be really improved with Wii controls. Sorry but videogames consist of more than graphics alone.

How nice of you to mention the DS, because it is a 3rd party software powerhouse. That is exactly the scenario we will see for Wii within a year. Yes, more and more games will come to Wii, because it is more profitable. Sure there will be some blockbusters that will come to PS360, because combined they have 50% marketshare, but Wii's development cost and Japanese userbase will make sure that at least the Japanese games minus FF will all come to Wii.

Siren is not anywhere near Fatal Frame. Plus it's a remake and last thing I heard was that PS3 fans hated remakes...

MGS4 has enormous hype, still in Japan it won't in all likelyhood sell a million, so how big a hardware boost did you have in mind. The gap between PS3 and Wii will be around 7 million end of year, a MGS4 boost of 300.000 max doesn't make a huge difference. Even FF can't sell 2 million consoles on it's own.

Where'd you get that idea?  Many PlayStation fans have been clamoring for a FFVII remake since the ps3 was announced. 

Around the Network

1/ MGS4/FFXIII will not save the PS3 in Japan (just minor boost)

2/ MGS4/FFXIII will both sell greatly whatever the PS3 has a 2-3-4M userbase in Japan.

Time to Work !

cwbys21 said:

I know that, it says the same thing on the box.  All I'm saying is, one argument and Disney could take Kingdom Hearts and give it to the people who made their crappy movie->games knockoffs and make money off of it and ruin a game that SE made hugely popular.  I just think there is something in the contract that wouldn't give Disney full power over the franchise because that would be rather stupid on SE part.

That has already happened though. The mobile phone version had no Square-Enix involvement. The reason Disney won't switch the series over to a new developer is due to corporate relations. Disney loves the extra cash Kingdom Hearts brings in. Switching to a new developer would put that source of money in jeopardy. Once they made the switch there is next to no chance that Square-Enix will let them come crawling back without a huge sacrifice on Disney's part. In order to keep the money fights coming they will stay with the developer they know can deliver rather than risk it with someone who might not be able to.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

IS MH2 psp saviour in Japan?
Same question about FFXIII. =)

You really should stop worrying, sales will gain as more Japanese oriented games will come. :)

To create HD game more time is needed.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Ajax said:
lol

guess i missed that

FFXIII might still launch in december in Japan though
Sony might put the pressure on Square, and Square might understand it actually

only reason for Square not wanting to ship in the same fiscal year, is cause they want to have two nice fiscal year figures

Sony must work something out with them

but on the other hand
FFXIII might just not be ready in december

Remember what happened last time Sony rushed a developer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lair_%28video_game%29 

CrazzyMan said:
IS MH2 psp saviour in Japan?
Same question about FFXIII. =)

You really should stop worrying, sales will gain as more Japanese oriented games will come. :)

To create HD game more time is needed.

No, it wasn't actually. The PSPs savior was the PSP slim. The release of the slim doubled the sustained sales of the system.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229