By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5>XB4>NS units sold next gen

You're wrong, but ok. Unless the PS5 and X4 have valid portable options, the Switch still has its place in the mainstream. Also I believe after a 5 year cycle, we will see a Switch 2 in spring 2022. This would close the gap to at least what we already have with Switch and PS4 only 1.5 years after the PS5 lands. During that time, most games will likely still be cross gen anyways, so your predictions are way off base.

I believe you somewhat already know that though. 😉

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Switch will have had a massive head start on the other two consoles.. And because it has a firm grip on Japan and is very strong in America and UK as well, by that merit alone it's highly doubtful that XB will even get close surpassing it. The only time a MS console has surpassed a Nintendo one thus far is the original Xbox (well and Wii U if you count that) and this was largely because of how much Nintendo dropped the ball with those consoles, and even then it barely edged it out Cube by a couple million. And I like the Xbox line of consoles, but there is nothing to indicate to me that MS is capable of selling more hardware than Nintendo. 

Sony is more of a question mark. Their next console certainly eventually can pass the Switch, but it'll take a long long time to do so, and who's to say the Switch won't have long legs? I tend to think it will, as it seems to be trending more similarly to a Nintendo handheld than home console, like the DS/Gameboy, which makes sense as it is essentially a souped up handheld. Though it's tough to ever count out Sony when it comes to home consoles.

I think it'll be something like PS5>Switch>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>XB4

But it'll likely be extremely close between the two Japanese companies, with Nintendo gobbling up most of Japan and a healthy amount of US/UK, while Sony will thrive more in the rest of Europe and have a close to even split with NS and XB in the US. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Nogamez said:
But NS is this generation. We will have to compare ninties next console with PS5 and NXbox.

Well I don't know what to think. That means Wii U was ps3/360 gen? Then Wii was Xbox/Ps2 gen? GameCube and N64 were not out at the same time...

Its crossgen so its sales need to be seperated as such

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Switch pro will likely have some 4k output available to it.  Some indie games and streaming services.   Matching up the current resolution of the mainstream TV has never been what impacted Nintendo sales. Plus switch will have multiple models and many switch systems are being sold and have been sold as a handheld mainly purchase.

Wii didn't match up well with mainstream televisions. Sold like gangbusters.

Wiiu matched up well with mainstream televisions. Solid like garbage. 

:)

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
fatslob-:O said:
The way I see things, the Switch is a last gen system so not really all that comparable to the next home consoles IMO ...

Doubt there'll be a higher end version of a Switch and I doubt it would alleviate the potential drying up of third party support anyways. Hitting resolution and frame rate targets are going to be the least of concerns when the vast majority of 3rd parties are going to be forced to accept the X1 as the bare minimum soon baseline for technically lower end games once the new systems reach the streets ...

^ this.

How can Switch be same gen as PS5 & XB2 ?

ARM Cortex-A57 @1ghz (x4 big cores + x4 little A53 cores) vs  8core/16 thread Zen2 @~3ghz AMD CPU.

CPU wise, Id bet thats like 20 times the power advantage to the PS5/XB2.

GPU wise:
Switch docked is 397 Gflops, while the PS5/XB2 will be 12-14 Tflops or so.
GPU wise, theres probably like a ~40 times power advantage to the PS5/XB2

GDDR6 will probably have like x20 times the memory bandwidth of the Switch.
SSD HDD will make the Switch HD look slow too.

Memory Size, will probably be x5 of the Switch's (16GB for gameing, +4GB for OS ect)

TBH Switch doesnt belong to same gen of hardware as PS5/XB2... its 2 gens behinde in terms of technological advancements.

It wont have TrueAudio, and be able to do raytraceing(audio) or graphics... it wont do VR, and it wont play current games at 4k@60.
Alot of Switch games are running below 720p 30fps.

The differnce between the Switch and PS5/PS6, is like compairing a PS2 to a PS4 almost, its a massive differnce in tech.

No doubt the current Switch unit is last gen tech at this point. But it doesn't really matter what system fits into what gen. What matters is who's making money and how much. I'm expecting Switch to outsell PS4 and/or PS5 mainly because it is not just a console. There will be many different variants. Could easily end up being a console only options, hybrid option, and pocketable version. And they will keep updating the specs inside while maintaining the Switch branding and sharing mostly the same games library. Backward compatible but eventually some games will not run on some of the older switch models. 

Unless Sony screws up royal, I have a hard time seeing the NextBox720 2 outselling the PS5. This gen has been the most "foundational", much more so than last gen, laying the groundwork for continuance into the next gen, through digital libraries, subscriptions and even one's online identity/circle of friends. Or perhaps, more cynically, companies ( especially Sony and MS ) are more likely to entrap customers in their respective ecosystems. I have somewhere around 350-400 games accrued JUST from PS+. I won't even get into my digital and physical purchases. My cup already runneth over. I don't need to add to that with more. And it would take a quite the catastrophe to abandon all that fully and flip over to another brand. Nintendo is back to a point where their system is selling amazingly again, so between them and PS.,....IDK. But at least for next gen, I feel MS will again be a fairly distant, but still respectable 3rd.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

JRPGfan said:

How can Switch be same gen as PS5 & XB2 ?

It's more probably due to timing rather than technology. A next generation Switch successor will almost certainly come in late 2022 which will have been nearly 3 years since the peak of Switch's market performance ... 

Even then I don't expect it to come with hardware accelerated ray tracing so I don't think the Switch's successor will be as lucky as last time in garnering AAA game support. It would be even more bad news if mid tier japanese games started being solely developed for ray tracing in mind not too soon after the Switch's successor launch ... 

I know that Nintendo will replace the Switch in 2 and a half years. Hardware advancements in gaming usually come at the behest of developers. Nintendo will need more power. So I said 65 million.

Now even at 60 million Switch will still beat the XB4. Microsoft has a problem with exhausting its fanbase too fast. The reason this happens is because they the 360 hid 3 and 4 console sales behind a single person replacing their system. PS5 passes switch easily.

I find it hilarious that folks think that the Switch can do PS4 numbers. Has it even occurred to anyone that Nintendo has bigger plans? What is the largest source of income that Nintendo is missing out on?

Mate we all know your angle on the Switch already this was your initial outlook on it.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=224655

I can give you one reason why Switch won't drop off like you think it has the whole damn dedicated portable market to itself the 74m+ 3DS owners and 16m+ Vita owners have to go somewhere for their dedicated portable fill, even with overlap and owners of multiple units factored in that potentially 80m users (NS may ship half of that total by the end of this quarter) both PS5 and X4 would have to sell more than that each and considering Xbox's performance outside of the US good luck in that happening.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 19 April 2019