By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Navi Made in Colab with sony, MS still Using it?

Pricing of Xbox VS PS%

Xbox +$150 > PS5 0 0%

Xbox +$100 > PS5 5 14.71%

Xbox +$50> PS5 4 11.76%

PS5 = Xbox With slight performance bost 7 20.59%

PS5 = Xbox With no performance boos 2 5.88%

Xbox will not have the pe... 3 8.82%

Still to early, wait for MS PR 13 38.24%

Total:34
Bofferbrauer2 said:
eva01beserk said:
more leaks. ps4 gpu to be 56 compute units at 1.8GHz clock speed. pushing 12.9 tflops

AMD would need to make an even bigger jump with Navi as they did with Polaris.

For context, Polaris was about as powerful as Hawaii (R9 390/390X), but consumed 40% less, From 250W down to 150W.

AMDs Vega 64 Liquid is more or less able to push that amount of TFlops, yet comes with a TDP of whooping 345W, way above what an entire console may consume. For that, consumption needs to be cut by more than half to reach 150-170W maximum (the rest of the 200-230W TDP budget  of a console is for the CPU, RAM, and so on).

With doing so, AMD would flat-out beat NVidia on the performance per Watt, and have a performance of about an RX 2080 while consuming about 30% less.

In other words, that leak sounds not very credible as is, and needs more information on the subject of Navi. With Navi releasing in a couple months (announced by AMD for Q3), we will have more information on the credibility and power demands of the next gen. However, unless the casing for the console is quite a bit bigger to allow for larger fans and more heat dissipation, I doubt a GPU that powerful will be possible for now.

But thats still a year and a half away. next wave of nvidea will be out and it might just be a mid range card by then.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
konkari said:

I think next gen will be about software dev tools, physics, facial animations, loading speed etc. to improve immersion. The games are visually quite impressive already on todays hardware (Pro and X), and bringing in 2...3 x power and using it just for more resolution or framerate is not big enough differentiator. Has to be something else.

Sony is clearly going for a "console centric" strategy, while MS does seem move towards "windows & cloud" strategy for gaming. This really leaves the XBox console into a niche position, as MS will not have console exclusives. In this strategy, the price of the console is irrelevant, as the PC will  be the main market for MS, and it makes it easier to go for expensive but  most powerful console to push sony in backseat for 3rd parties. At least on marketing perception level.

Yea, I think worlds look amazing as they are now, as long as they just improve facial animations next gen then Im good. But yea, next gen will be hard for MS as power wont mean much.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:

But thats still a year and a half away.

It could be 50 years away... 1.8GHz is not going to happen on a console.

There is a Navy based picture of a PC board floating around on the net. 8 gddr6 sockets, and two 8 pin power connectors. Maybe the rumour stems from that card which could go to 1.8GHz, given it's a 300W design. 1.8GHz - not going to happen on consoles.

Guys I made this comment last year in November:

"One sneak peak into the next-gen console is that chinese console "subor z plus" which was released with a 4/8 core ryzen cpu clocked at 3ghz and 24CU Vega with 1,3ghz speed totaling 3,99TF.

But it's just really bad news, according to anandtech that SOC is just below 400mm2 die size and eurogamer says the console pulls 185watt this is on 14nm. Since 7nm(high performing one) is 2x transistor density and 0.5 less power by just doing simple math we won't be getting anything higher than a 8/16 core ryzen cpu clocked at 3ghz with a GPU that has 8TF." - end quote

This gives you an idea what we can expect, PS4 pro Die size is 320mm2 and Xbox one X is 360mm2. So those are the Die sizes for next-gen consoles and looking at the chinese console we get at most an 8-core zen2 cpu and likely less than 48CU.

So the rumor of 56CU's is likely fake and based on the leaked Gonzalo codename we now knows what is going on, AMD have achieve much higher clock speed for Navi than anybody expected, I think we looking at 2-2,1 ghz clock speed for desktop gpus without power consumption going out of whack. So PS5 will have 36CU's at 1.8 ghz giving 8,3TF and Xbox anaconda will have 44CU's at 2 ghz giving about 12TF (I'm just guessing on the CU number)

The only hope for a really high TF number was if Sony/microsoft used the non HPC (High performance computing) 7nm and went with a lot of CU's, around 72-80 but with lower clock speed, the non HPC version is much denser but this is just not happening based on all the info we have.

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 01 May 2019

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

drkohler said:
eva01beserk said:

But thats still a year and a half away.

It could be 50 years away... 1.8GHz is not going to happen on a console.

There is a Navy based picture of a PC board floating around on the net. 8 gddr6 sockets, and two 8 pin power connectors. Maybe the rumour stems from that card which could go to 1.8GHz, given it's a 300W design. 1.8GHz - not going to happen on consoles.

The rumor about 1,8ghz navi desktop gpu happened 4 days after the leaked gonzalo codename showing PS5 having 1,8ghz gpu. That's why I believe that particlar rumor is fake, the dude on 4channel probably just took it from gonzalo.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Around the Network

The leak about the 56cu is supost to be coming from devs that got the early dev kit. They also suport the 1.8ghz.

https://youtu.be/z160RB5_4kY

Gamermeld
More leaks/rumors. Navi to be 2080ti at $430.
I dont know guys. All the rumors/leaks are pointing to a beast of a 9th gen.

eva01beserk said:

Gamermeld

More performance than Vega 7? While having less bandwidth and still being Graphics Core Next? Not going to happen.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

eva01beserk said:

Gamermeld

Pemalite said:
eva01beserk said:

Gamermeld

More performance than Vega 7? While having less bandwidth and still being Graphics Core Next? Not going to happen.

Yeah, I could accept some Vega level GPU for Navi, as Polaris was also about as fast as it's previous premium product (R9 390/390X, with the RX 480 falling right in the middle of the 2), So Navi being around Vega in GPU power ain't unthinkable.

However, that would still only be between RTX 2060 and the RTX 2070, or around the RTX 2070 at the very best, but certainly not coming close to an 2080Ti. I expect about RTX 2070 power consumption for Navi, as I hope AMD doesn't overclock the shit out of Navi like they did with Vega.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
eva01beserk said:

Gamermeld

Pemalite said:

Yeah, I could accept some Vega level GPU for Navi, as Polaris was also about as fast as it's previous premium product (R9 390/390X, with the RX 480 falling right in the middle of the 2), So Navi being around Vega in GPU power ain't unthinkable.

However, that would still only be between RTX 2060 and the RTX 2070, or around the RTX 2070 at the very best, but certainly not coming close to an 2080Ti. I expect about RTX 2070 power consumption for Navi, as I hope AMD doesn't overclock the shit out of Navi like they did with Vega.

One of the largest Achilles heels of Graphics Core Next is it's need for bandwidth... Hence why AMD outfitted Vega 7 with 1TB/s of HBM.

Even when stacking the RX 480 against the 390/390X, the 390/390X often still takes the performance crown... The RX 480 was focused on mainstream performance at a low TDP... And did very well all things considered... And would hit it's performance level but use 100w+ less power under load.

The RX 580 essentially is an overclocked RX 480... It was clear Graphics Core Next cannot keep pace with nVidia in terms of performance/watt, so AMD drove performance as much as possible, power consumption be damned.

In short, AMD is so far behind nVidia it's almost embarrassing, I haven't seen this kind of massive discrepancy between AMD and nVidia before, even during the Radeon 7500/8500 days ATI was able to keep pace somewhat with nVidia...

In the end it does probably mean next-gen consoles are likely to be held back by the ball and chain that is Graphics Core Next for next gen consoles.

But anyone stating that we will get Geforce 2080Ti performance out of Navi just hasn't been paying attention over the last decade.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--