By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Navi Made in Colab with sony, MS still Using it?

Pricing of Xbox VS PS%

Xbox +$150 > PS5 0 0%

Xbox +$100 > PS5 5 14.71%

Xbox +$50> PS5 4 11.76%

PS5 = Xbox With slight performance bost 7 20.59%

PS5 = Xbox With no performance boos 2 5.88%

Xbox will not have the pe... 3 8.82%

Still to early, wait for MS PR 13 38.24%

Total:34
simek said:

I think MS will use it,but it will for sure be customize. We don't know what agreement is between SONY and AMD. I think is not about royality, more about some design choices that are gonna be custom and exclussive for PS5. Sony won't tell you right now, its too early, but for sure they didn't co-developed and co-found the NAVI for free.

They already basically told us what's custom about the chip. The big thing will be dedicated audio on the chip and maybe if they want to push it some units dedicated to RT. I don't expect anything more of it.

Also, why would custom choices be exclusive for Sony? If MS also goes with the same chip they can have anything that's within the realm of possibility. People are reading way too much into "customization" and "co-development". It can mean anything from huge changes to just dictating clock speeds.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

@vivster
While customization might nit mean much. Codevelopment could mean a lower cost for the product as they put something into the cost if reserch and development.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
@vivster
While customization might nit mean much. Codevelopment could mean a lower cost for the product as they put something into the cost if reserch and development.

Co-development in this context means nothing. AMD is a chip designer and Sony is a client. The co-development was Sony saying what they want and maybe testing samples. Calling it co-development is like calling a commissioned website design co-development. Sony commissioned a chip and then gave input and feedback. Of course you can call it co-development but it makes it sound fancier than it is.

And of course they put money into research and cost, for their own chip. It's called paying the designer for their work.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Navi was on roadmaps before the PS4 was out, Sony has nothing to do with it or it's developments. They just choose the chip early for their Next Gen console, that's it.

Microsoft will most likely choose the same one, there's not much other choice, either. NVidia would get too expensive and would mean 2 chips, not an APU.

People on xbox side are very confident in "power", so i realy think we are going to see a xbox that's barely more powerfull ( 12 TF vs 13.5 TF, prety much identical spec. but xbox got faster clock speed) or xbox whit small, but substatial, power advantage, but $100 more expensive ( 12TF vs 15 TF, xbox got got some extras, like more memory and faster clock).

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
PS5 will be the strongest console.

I think that's a strong possibility. Sony and AMD seem to have been working closely together on Navi. Even if they don't have any kind of timed exclusivity deal in the console space, I think they are going to get more features out of it.  If they do have some kind of deal, MS would have to use the Vega. 

@Vivster
Sonys involment, Thats something we canot know yet. You may as well be right. But as cerny made it sound they have been in more than that. Maybe nothing that would make it a game changer. But could be one or two extra fetures that the competitor might not be allowed to have.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Maybe i should clarify. I in no way belive ps5 will be better than the next xbox. Nor will it have any fetures above it. I belive MS will make sure off that and in doing so the next xbox will be more expensive. How much more powerfull and how much more expensive is the questions.

eva01beserk said:
@Vivster
Sonys involment, Thats something we canot know yet. You may as well be right. But as cerny made it sound they have been in more than that. Maybe nothing that would make it a game changer. But could be one or two extra fetures that the competitor might not be allowed to have.

They might have requested some hardware features not originally planned for the Navi chip, which could also explain why there's a 2 year gap since Vega came out until Navi's release. But I very much doubt it.

It's more that AMD didn't have the manpower to develop both CPU and GPU at full speed (which is a well documented fact), and concentrated on the new Zen CPU cores and chiplet designs instead of GCN GPU upgrades.

eva01beserk said:
Maybe i should clarify. I in no way belive ps5 will be better than the next xbox. Nor will it have any fetures above it. I belive MS will make sure off that and in doing so the next xbox will be more expensive. How much more powerfull and how much more expensive is the questions.

How would MS do that? They can't really have a contract with AMD saying that whatever they purchase is better and have more features than what Sony have, because for AMD to assure that they would have to break their NDA with Sony.

Last gen we had the same "MS absolutely won't let PS4 be stronger than their console".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."