By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Confirmed Backward Compatibility

Article out today on the hardware of the PS5. 

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

The specific line on BC:

Because it’s based in part on the PS4’s architecture, it will also be backward-compatible with games for that console. 

Also confirmed it will not be out in 2019, so all but assured for 2020.  The hardware itself appears to be much more beefy than I anticipated it would be.  Now has me wondering if we are going to run into another PS3 pricing situation with Sony next gen.

The hardware bits:

The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments. 

The AMD chip also includes a custom unit for 3D audio that Cerny thinks will redefine what sound can do in a videogame.

On VR:

“I won't go into the details of our VR strategy today,” he says, “beyond saying that VR is very important to us and that the current PSVR headset is compatible with the new console.”

And an SSD that, for Spider-Man at least, improved loading by 18x.

Last edited by Neodegenerate - on 16 April 2019

Around the Network

Great news! Hopefully it can enhance ps4 games too.

Will this be the end of remasters that are only 1 gen apart?? lol

If indeed this is true then honestly this is great news as my backlog is taking awhile to complete but would love to move forward as well.

PS5 is a dream game machine

Ray tracing for sound and light- confirmed

SSD for no loading times- confirmed

Ryzen 2 8 core- confirmed

BC- confirmed

Custom navi- confimed

It feels like they ticked all the right  boxes. Im waiting for preorders to open. 

Pretty much what we've expected (except for the 2019 team chumps) but nice to have confirmation from Cerny. Also, the custom SSD solution seems amazing.

Around the Network

Uhm..... that whole article reads like a marketing fluff piece written by Sony themselves. They're getting really desperate to sell it as something revolutionary when it's a mere simple hardware upgrade. Nothing wrong with a straight upgrade, but I can't take all the marketing bullcrap.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Hell ya. That allows me to move PS4 aside and use PS5 for my ps4 needs for back log and other stuff I need to catch up on. Can just do my ps4/ps5 gaming on one machine. That's awesome. Sign me up

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

oh boy oh boy... i think its time for some cerny gif's

Last edited by taus90 - on 16 April 2019

I wonder if it will come with an extra hdd for storage or will they use a hybrid drive solution. 1tb ssd is way too expensive for a console.

At the same time it seams like a very strange annoucement. I see it as " Don't worry, we hear you, we won't be at E3, cause we are hard at work. Just wait a little bit for some real news, anyway PS5 is a real Monster". 

Anyway that interview gave a lot of info, so it seams the specs are set in stone at that point, and with more and more dev kits going out they wanted to cut all the speculations. The march 2020 lunch seams now more and more probable. Cerny even hints that a lot of games gonna be cross gen.

Give me TLOU2 with ray tracing and i will be in heaven.