By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - GoT season 8 final episode 6 tonight. (spoiler discussion) Fin. The end... for ever. D&D can burn in the seven hells.

I'm...

Hyped. 24 55.81%

Mildly interested. 11 25.58%

Not bothered. 5 11.63%

/indifferent/not watched/other in comments. 3 6.98%

Total:43
KiigelHeart said:
Yes it's true not a single ruler used dragons to kill thousands of civilians. Totally relevant to this piece of fiction.

I'm looking forward to finale without setting much expectations. We've yet to see how mad Dany actually is. Whether she's completely gone, feeling her actions were justifiee or just an emotionally driven mistake/decicion. She did just used her dragon to completely wreck King's Landingin, a city that's never been burned down before and destroyed Golden Company with one breath. Not a single king or ruler of Westeros is dumb enough to rise up to her now. So exciting!

Assassinating do not require rising up to her. You didn't follow the series if you don't know that a ruler can be killed in 100 different ways without a single battle. And I bet the writers won't even make her regret anything before killing her.

I started recently to watch the series from the start again, to show it to my girlfriend. It's impressive to see the difference in writing's quality, but also some stuff relevant for this situation. When Daenerys arrives in front of Yunkai, Jorah tells her "You don't need this city, you can go to Westeros and take the Iron Throne, no reason to fight", and she answers something like "There are 20.000 slaves in this city, so there are 20.000 reasons to fight". And you guys think that she's a monster willing to kill hundreds of thousands of innocents for nothing...

Other very interesting part. "Seven kingdoms united in fear of Tywin Lannister". Because that's how you rule by fear. Rule well, control things, and kill your ennemies without mercy. Do anyone think that Tywin would do something like what Daenerys did? No, because it's completely stupid and has no relation at all with "ruling by fear". Dany is no Queen, in this last episode she transformed into nothing: no reign, no ideals, no legacy. She will die in the next episode and will be vaguely remembered as a one-time catastrophe, nothing more. That's the saddest part for her, she will just be a short tale told by old nannies to kids like Bran at the beginning of the series.

Around the Network
Faelco said:
KiigelHeart said:
Yes it's true not a single ruler used dragons to kill thousands of civilians. Totally relevant to this piece of fiction.

I'm looking forward to finale without setting much expectations. We've yet to see how mad Dany actually is. Whether she's completely gone, feeling her actions were justifiee or just an emotionally driven mistake/decicion. She did just used her dragon to completely wreck King's Landingin, a city that's never been burned down before and destroyed Golden Company with one breath. Not a single king or ruler of Westeros is dumb enough to rise up to her now. So exciting!

Assassinating do not require rising up to her. You didn't follow the series if you don't know that a ruler can be killed in 100 different ways without a single battle. And I bet the writers won't even make her regret anything before killing her.

I started recently to watch the series from the start again, to show it to my girlfriend. It's impressive to see the difference in writing's quality, but also some stuff relevant for this situation. When Daenerys arrives in front of Yunkai, Jorah tells her "You don't need this city, you can go to Westeros and take the Iron Throne, no reason to fight", and she answers something like "There are 20.000 slaves in this city, so there are 20.000 reasons to fight". And you guys think that she's a monster willing to kill hundreds of thousands of innocents for nothing...

Other very interesting part. "Seven kingdoms united in fear of Tywin Lannister". Because that's how you rule by fear. Rule well, control things, and kill your ennemies without mercy. Do anyone think that Tywin would do something like what Daenerys did? No, because it's completely stupid and has no relation at all with "ruling by fear". Dany is no Queen, in this last episode she transformed into nothing: no reign, no ideals, no legacy. She will die in the next episode and will be vaguely remembered as a one-time catastrophe, nothing more. That's the saddest part for her, she will just be a short tale told by old nannies to kids like Bran at the beginning of the series.

Yes rulers always risk getting assassinated. Varys already tried to poison her at the beginning of the episode.

Dany is also not Tywin. What a great show it would be if every character made the same choice. Just like in real life where none of us does irrational things eh?

Dany is a complex character and there's examples or her violent behaviour. It's been discussed here. In the end, this is GRRM's ending, it's in her character to do this. If you feel writers didn't deliver it well that's ok. I liked it, it's not spoon-fed but there's enough to see her doing it. 

You fail to see what she did is basically the stuff of the Gods. Tywin ruling by fear is nothing on it. So I sure hope Jon & friends will stop her. 

If the writers make her not regret it that's fine with me. As long as they don't make her go completely Jack Nicholson from Shining or some over the top Joker kind a villain.

Meh. I’d say criticizing the dragon’s ability to blow up buildings while Harrenhal merely burned is nitpicky. I could just as well defend that by saying the houses in King’s Landing were just made of a weak sandstone while a castle like Harrenhal was made with strong granite. The locations of these respective buildings and their colors support that. Or, Drogon is the more powerful dragon. Anyway, that’s a pointless debate.

KiigelHeart said:
Faelco said:

Yes rulers always risk getting assassinated. Varys already tried to poison her at the beginning of the episode.

Dany is also not Tywin. What a great show it would be if every character made the same choice. Just like in real life where none of us does irrational things eh?

Dany is a complex character and there's examples or her violent behaviour. It's been discussed here. In the end, this is GRRM's ending, it's in her character to do this. If you feel writers didn't deliver it well that's ok. I liked it, it's not spoon-fed but there's enough to see her doing it. 

You fail to see what she did is basically the stuff of the Gods. Tywin ruling by fear is nothing on it. So I sure hope Jon & friends will stop her. 

If the writers make her not regret it that's fine with me. As long as they don't make her go completely Jack Nicholson from Shining or some over the top Joker kind a villain.

Like I said, Tywin did thousands times more than what she did. She's insignificant, the opposite of a God. She will be killed quickly, and forgotten quickly. She will be nothing more than a "remember the time when a dragon attacked King's Landing?". That's it. 99% of Westeros won't even know her name.

And "complex character" doesn't describe what happened in the episode, at all. There was no depth or complexity in the massacre, just "here, she's mad and became a villain".

But hey, if you even defend the stones C4 explosions, then I guess it's useless to keep talking about this. A bit more and you will say stuff like "Jaime had a great ending for his redemption arc" or "Arya totally has reasons to be the only one resisting dragon fire". It's actually nice that it doesn't take a lot to make you happy with it!

Last edited by Faelco - on 17 May 2019

DonFerrari said:
Hiku said:

Yeah, I think her definition of slave is just being forced into labour. Only working for food and lodging doesn't sound good.

The Unsullied go to bars and brothels though, so they do have money that comes from somewhere at least. Not sure how exactly they receive that money.

I haven't heard that theory before. But I hope there's something interesting involving Bran's abilities, the Nightwalkers and the Prince that was Promised prophecy. Though at this pace, the books will come out right after Final Fantasy 7 Remake in 2045.

Yep if they are on middle age setting most people would be ok with working for food and lodging.

Think about like in LotR, magic fading little by little from the world as humans take over and the other sentient creatures leave/die.

Most people don't believe the night walkers, old religion, etc. So with the end of the night king, targaryen, valyrians and Bran basically most of the magic will be gone and become stuff from legends in couple generations.

chakkra said:

How in God's name did you get to that conclusion!??

Humans tend to hate what they fear. That has been scientifically proven over and over. If you are scared of spiders, snakes, rats, cuckcroaches etc, etc, you automatically want to see them dead. That's just..  human nature.

And yes, most tyrants that have ruled through fear in human history have been murdered in the end.

There is a difference between fearing someone because he is to powerful and if you disobey the law you may be dead and fearing someone because he kills innocent people randomly. On the first one you may think that as long as you behave you are ok, on the second there is no option. So it is quite easy to see why the first may work but the second won't.

Yeah, but no matter what kind of fear a person instils into you; you are still very much likely to hate that person for making you feel that way. Or is that just me?

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Meh. I’d say criticizing the dragon’s ability to blow up buildings while Harrenhal merely burned is nitpicky. I could just as well defend that by saying the houses in King’s Landing were just made of a weak sandstone while a castle like Harrenhal was made with strong granite. The locations of these respective buildings and their colors support that. Or, Drogon is the more powerful dragon. Anyway, that’s a pointless debate.

lol No matter how weak a stone might be; it will NEVER blow up at the contact with fire.

And yes, this type of "pointless things" are the kind of things that people are usually willing to overlook when the overall story is cohesive just because it looks cool. But when every 3 minutes happens something on the screen that doesn't add up, all the once small and pointless things start to pile up; and that's when you go: "Wait! but nothing here makes sense!".

S.Peelman said:

I guess might have a point about the quality of construction but it's stated that Balerion the Black Dread was the biggest of the Targaryen dragons and from the skull we see in the earlier seasons he is almost two times the size of Drogon. Not to mention, Aegon was raiding Harrenhal along with his sisters and two other dragons.

Signature goes here!

Most important for me is always the story and since they ran out of bookmaterial the show has been lacking,almost feel like i should just stop watching and leave it to the books to give me a decent ending with a good buildup,it would be worth the wait for me.

It is such a pity that the show is great in all the other departments while the writers have given up and ruin it for me.

chakkra said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep if they are on middle age setting most people would be ok with working for food and lodging.

Think about like in LotR, magic fading little by little from the world as humans take over and the other sentient creatures leave/die.

Most people don't believe the night walkers, old religion, etc. So with the end of the night king, targaryen, valyrians and Bran basically most of the magic will be gone and become stuff from legends in couple generations.

There is a difference between fearing someone because he is to powerful and if you disobey the law you may be dead and fearing someone because he kills innocent people randomly. On the first one you may think that as long as you behave you are ok, on the second there is no option. So it is quite easy to see why the first may work but the second won't.

Yeah, but no matter what kind of fear a person instils into you; you are still very much likely to hate that person for making you feel that way. Or is that just me?

I don't hate what or who I fear. But perhaps I try to be to rational.

But yes you are right, being feared as a King or Queen can lead to mutiny.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Hiku said:

shikamaru317 said:
My predictions for the finale:

Jon is going to be furious with Dany and turn on her, Dany will order his execution, but Drogon, instead of incinerating Jon, will save him,

At first when Viserion got killed, I wondered if they wanted to keep only one dragon to set up for it chosing Jon over Dany, but then I realized they probably just wanted to cut down on the CGI budget, like with Ghost: https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/5/8/18536869/game-of-thrones-director-david-nutter-ghost-cgi

shikamaru317 said:

and Jon will kill Grey Worm in combat. 

The way this season is going, it would be Podrick who would kill Greyworm.

shikamaru317 said:
-The last possibility I see is that Jon will have the Iron Throne destroyed, and will allow each of the 7 Kingdoms to rule autonomously again. Jon will head back to the far north, beyond the wall, leaving Sansa as the Ruler of Winterfell.

That was my original theory, because I don't think putting another Targaryan, even if they're half Stark, would be the "lesson learnt" in all of this.
But then I got to Season 8, Episode 3, and 4, and realized exactly what kind of writing I'm up against here. I don't expect them to prioritize reason over subverting expectations.

Faelco said:

A bit more and you will say stuff like "Jaime had a great ending for his redemption arc"

Don't worry, it was foreshadowed all along.

Also, keep in mind that they are in a stone tower. Stones collapsed on him and Cercei.

Makes perfect sense. you just don't understand how foreshadowing works.

It also foreshadow that Bran would become the crow, and here is Lannister teaching him how to fly.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."