By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Announces Name Changes Are Finally Available!

COKTOE said:
KLAMarine said:
Finally! BillCosby,JaredFogle,AndHarveyWeinstein'sBiggestFan is not a good name to have nowadays.

There actually is a JaredFromSubway on PSN. I met him in Rocketleague. 1 HarveyWeinstein created in 2014, and quite a few BillCosby's

I have 'em beat with a combo of all three.

vivster said:
KLAMarine said:
Finally! BillCosby,JaredFogle,AndHarveyWeinstein'sBiggestFan is not a good name to have nowadays.

Yep, obviously it's missing Donald Trump in there. You better change it.

I'm afraid to change it now, actually. Don't want to potentially sabotage any of my games.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Shiken said:

Meanwhile on Switch, you can change your ID on the fly as many times as you want without being charged a penny.

Can you really? I've never bothered to look into it...

Yep, right in your user setting.  Instant and painless.  Really puts the other two to shame.

I mean, Switch has its own online problems.  But even charging name changes in the first place seems kinds dumb after seeing how it is done on the Switch.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
KLAMarine said:

Yep, right in your user setting.  Instant and painless.  Really puts the other two to shame.

I mean, Switch has its own online problems.  But even charging name changes in the first place seems kinds dumb after seeing how it is done on the Switch.

Cool, will change name if I ever get the urge to. Thanks.

Shiken said:
KLAMarine said:

Both Sony and MS things were laughable. Back in PS3/360 era, MS charged you, PS3 couldn't so you just setup another account and changed your email.

I never understood how Sony setup their database, if people around here know databases, it's like they didn't have an ID number for the user but instead the primary key was the username in their database... which is stupid.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Shiken said:

Both Sony and MS things were laughable. Back in PS3/360 era, MS charged you, PS3 couldn't so you just setup another account and changed your email.

I never understood how Sony setup their database, if people around here know databases, it's like they didn't have an ID number for the user but instead the primary key was the username in their database... which is stupid.

I guarantee that is what happened.  People make fun of friend codes, but it is probably those very codes that allow you to easily change your name on the fly on Switch.

MS is likely set up the same way, but hide everything behind the user name just so theu can charge people for changes.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Rocket League had an issue with the name change. You can't play with your friends anymore if you changed your name. Apparently you have to delete and re-add them so that it works again. Also the RL tracker obviously has an issue with name changes, so no tracker for name changers until that's fixed.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The Fury said:
Shiken said:

It is stupid. Basically the username was the primary key when PSN launched, and added unique IDs when the PS4 launched, gradually changing functions to use the unique numeral ID instead the username with updates.

That's spaghetti coding for you. Also imagine the waste of resources using long character strings for everything instead of an integer.