By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best looking video game of the 20th century

Soulcalibur on DreamCast was really impressive, best Graphics of the 20th century for me.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network

Links LS 2000 (released in September 1999) also was quite pretty and had detailed fauna and character models:

Dragon's Lair.

Best looking is pretty subjective. Personally, I still think DKC2 looks amazing today. It's aged better than any of the other examples presented here, aside from the other sprite based examples maybe. In terms of 3D graphics, probably Soul Calibur on Dreamcast for character models and Unreal Tournament for environments.

Probably a Neo Geo game, or a 2D PS1 title. Early 3D has nothing on perfected 2D spritework.

Around the Network

Outcast , open world with raycasting and polygon engine, dof reflective rippling , translucent water, particle effects and everyone's favourite bloom and lens flare.

there was a claymation game who's name I can't recall the  gameplay wasn't great but it looked good, also the already mentioned soul calibur and Shenmue.

Edit. forgot MDK .

Last edited by mjk45 - on 07 April 2019

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Shenmue?

Riven, released 1997

mjk45 said:

Outcast , open world with raycasting and polygon engine, dof reflective rippling , translucent water, particle effects and everyone's favourite bloom and lens flare.

there was a claymation game who's name I can't recall the  gameplay wasn't great but it looked good, also the already mentioned soul calibur and Shenmue.

Edit. forgot MDK .

Do you mean The Neverhood?

Heart of darkness was very good looking as well

If you can include Dreamcast then I'll probably say Dead Or Alive 2. Otherwise, my vote goes to Paper Mario. Aside from the resolution, the game still looks great. Incredibly stylized.