By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Valve Index (VR headset) announced, 144 Hz, off ear audio

the-pi-guy said:

Someone has some good speculation on the meaning of the name here:

"But then to take it further, the actual name of the product. The 'Index'. If you search the patent you will find extensive references and discussion of "index of refraction", which means "measurement of the bending of a ray of light when passing from one medium into another.". Kind of neatly ties in the logo and the product name, doesn't it?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/b7miqb/i_know_why_its_called_the_index_and_what_the_logo/

^Valve has a patent on a lens set up to utilize smaller screens for a larger FOV.  

Some people were wondering how they could manage such a large FOV, with how small the headset is.

Only days after writing an article about how he couldn't use Rift S, due to the lack of physical IPD adjustment.  

As you can see in the above image (in the OP as well), that Valve is using physical IPD.  One of the few things that we know for sure about the headset.  

The speculation is that the resolution will be about par with the HTC Vive Pro.

The controller:

In action:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239472&page=1

So the aversion to 3 is real  the Valve index logo is 2 semi circles and a full circle, they couldn't bring  themselves to have 3 semi circles also notice at the bottom only 2 controllers not 3.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
the-pi-guy said:

Someone has some good speculation on the meaning of the name here:

"But then to take it further, the actual name of the product. The 'Index'. If you search the patent you will find extensive references and discussion of "index of refraction", which means "measurement of the bending of a ray of light when passing from one medium into another.". Kind of neatly ties in the logo and the product name, doesn't it?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/b7miqb/i_know_why_its_called_the_index_and_what_the_logo/

^Valve has a patent on a lens set up to utilize smaller screens for a larger FOV.  

Some people were wondering how they could manage such a large FOV, with how small the headset is.

Only days after writing an article about how he couldn't use Rift S, due to the lack of physical IPD adjustment.  

As you can see in the above image (in the OP as well), that Valve is using physical IPD.  One of the few things that we know for sure about the headset.  

The speculation is that the resolution will be about par with the HTC Vive Pro.

The controller:

In action:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239472&page=1

So the aversion to 3 is real  the Valve index logo is 2 semi circles and a full circle, they couldn't bring  themselves to have 3 semi circles also notice at the bottom only 2 controllers not 3.

They are working on 3 games though. But maybe it's more? 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
mjk45 said:

They are working on 3 games though. But maybe it's more? 

Imagine the surprise in the office: "We're going to work on 3... different games".

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Azzanation said:
Valves next AAA game will be a VR title. The vibes on that being correct is very high.
If this is a good price, might be my first VR Headset.
Spoiler!
Half Life 3

If any of you know how to make those Mind's Eye images work (where they become either outward 3d or recessed 3D depending on your technique) it works with that logo. Probably doesn't mean anything, but it's there.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Chazore said:
I'd like to see how it handles first, as well as price point and the 3 VR games Valve has going for it.

I think the games and the headset will be great.  Half Life VR is the only one that's rumored so far.  

I'm just worried about the price.  The rumored specs are closest to a $1200 headset. (On the bright side that headset is very much overpriced...).  I'm thinking in the area of $400-800 is most realistic.  Probably $600 though.  

Knuckle controllers included?, because I trust what I've seen of them so far and I'd say those controllers are well worth their asking price. The headset is the iffy part, as well as the games.

What I'm looking for in VR is some polish and a stable library, but seeing as how some VR games are locked to either certain headsets or consoles, my interest is lopsided to "not at this time". I want to hope that in a few more years, we don't see fully splintered VR libraries. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

the-pi-guy said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=cjXSXmHZP3Q

Someone made a video showing the finger tracking on the controller.  

Looking quite good, impressive in fact. I doubt many here will be impressed or interested though, seeing as how it's Valve making the headset (As well as it not being the meme that is Hl3). 

I am looking forward to using those controllers in the future though. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

They're not going to sell many units with those prices.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

749$.... VR aint cheap.

the-pi-guy said:
John2290 said:
I knew it, Prosumer again with no sign of them bringing down the price of their earlier tech.

Largely what they've said they're going to do.

They think making it cheap as fast as possible will lead to failure.  So they're dedicated to making it as good as possible.

JRPGfan said:
749$.... VR aint cheap.

That's assuming you already have a Vive with the base stations.  

Otherwise you'll need to spend $999 to get the headset and the base station.

But this is top of the line VR.  

Rift S is pretty good VR, and sells at $399.  

Tbh, I think expecting $300 ish VR to be top of the line is asking a bit too much. the $800 price point would have been more based within reality, than say $300+ for the headset, controller and base stations as well. 

I also don't think Valve are in the business for shelling out on expensive tech, and selling at a loss the whole time with it. I mean, if everyone here is fine with Nintendo, constantly crafting tech for cheap and making it so they hardly ever have to break their own bank account, then why can't Valve, or anyone else for that matter?.