By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
jason1637 said:
Biggerboat1 said:

Wow, you've certainly come up with a seriously insightful & nuanced argument there...

I guess you have no problem with universal healthcare & universal basic income then! I mean the US's GDP is >20 trillion and that sure is a big number!

I guess homelessness doesn't need to be a thing, there are nearly 150 million homes in the US and that's also a big number!

The answer to my original question, is no, you don't have any evidence.

1. The healthcare system we have currently is terrible. It's too expensive and millions don't have healthcare. Universal healthcare would cover everyone and would actually decrease the cost of healthcare so yeah I like it.

2. The vast majority of Americans can't afford a $500 bill so UBI would go along way. In the 70s there was a experiment done under the Nixon admin with 8.5k Americans from NJ, PA, and NC trying out UBI and the results were very positive. They found that it can be properly funded, people won't work less, it helped many poor communities, demand for labour increased, stronger marriages, moral and social conditions improved. Andrew Yang has pretty good policy proposal for this.

Yes 20 trillion is a large number and so is 790k police officers. If this was the first few times violence broke out at protest I would not be quick to blame the police but this continues to happen and it's the police's job to prevent this from happening.

Biggerboat1 said:

Are you aware how arrogant & just plain mean this post comes off as?

Euthanasia is a dumb concept and the guy is wasting his last few days on it while he can be doing something productive.

You're missing the point. Policing, universal healthcare, UBI, these are all large, complex issues that even experts and professors argue over. So you just bashing out a sentence on each and acting like it's problem solved is a little silly... 

If the number of police was 990K, or 790K or 590K, you would have made the exact same point... It's a big number, so what's the police's problem!?

790K is only large or small when looked at in context. You think police forces aren't stretched and resources aren't scarce? I don't live in the states but from what I see & read the forces aren't exactly flush and crime rates are pretty high in many places... So it doesn't seem like it's the land of milk and honey you make it out to be.

So what would you do, take a couple of hundred officers off their normal duty, to stop a troublemaker reporter getting roughed up and instead what? You don't think there will be consequences for pulling those officers off their posts? What if you prevent 1 assault but fail to stop a couple of rapes and a murder? What if the department doesn't have the resources to fund overtime?

Your views are just so simplified and, I'll say it again, naive!

Which brings me to your last point "Euthanasia is a dumb concept and the guy is wasting his last few days on it while he can be doing something productive."

I mean, this sentence just sums up your whole approach - close-minded and arrogant. Who are you to tell anyone how they should live their last days? Who bestowed you with all the answers? Did you read the article? Both him and his wife seemed like intelligent, sensitive people who are wrestling with an awful situation in the most dignified way they can, only for some keyboard warrior to tell them they're doing wrong... I mean, if you are capable of any empathy at all, you're hiding it very well.

Would you have the balls to say that to their faces? I'm guessing no.

Around the Network
Biggerboat1 said:
jason1637 said:

1. The healthcare system we have currently is terrible. It's too expensive and millions don't have healthcare. Universal healthcare would cover everyone and would actually decrease the cost of healthcare so yeah I like it.

2. The vast majority of Americans can't afford a $500 bill so UBI would go along way. In the 70s there was a experiment done under the Nixon admin with 8.5k Americans from NJ, PA, and NC trying out UBI and the results were very positive. They found that it can be properly funded, people won't work less, it helped many poor communities, demand for labour increased, stronger marriages, moral and social conditions improved. Andrew Yang has pretty good policy proposal for this.

Yes 20 trillion is a large number and so is 790k police officers. If this was the first few times violence broke out at protest I would not be quick to blame the police but this continues to happen and it's the police's job to prevent this from happening.

Euthanasia is a dumb concept and the guy is wasting his last few days on it while he can be doing something productive.

You're missing the point. Policing, universal healthcare, UBI, these are all large, complex issues that even experts and professors argue over. So you just bashing out a sentence on each and acting like it's problem solved is a little silly... 

If the number of police was 990K, or 790K or 590K, you would have made the exact same point... It's a big number, so what's the police's problem!?

790K is only large or small when looked at in context. You think police forces aren't stretched and resources aren't scarce? I don't live in the states but from what I see & read the forces aren't exactly flush and crime rates are pretty high in many places... So it doesn't seem like it's the land of milk and honey you make it out to be.

So what would you do, take a couple of hundred officers off their normal duty, to stop a troublemaker reporter getting roughed up and instead what? You don't think there will be consequences for pulling those officers off their posts? What if you prevent 1 assault but fail to stop a couple of rapes and a murder? What if the department doesn't have the resources to fund overtime?

Your views are just so simplified and, I'll say it again, naive!

Which brings me to your last point "Euthanasia is a dumb concept and the guy is wasting his last few days on it while he can be doing something productive."

I mean, this sentence just sums up your whole approach - close-minded and arrogant. Who are you to tell anyone how they should live their last days? Who bestowed you with all the answers? Did you read the article? Both him and his wife seemed like intelligent, sensitive people who are wrestling with an awful situation in the most dignified way they can, only for some keyboard warrior to tell them they're doing wrong... I mean, if you are capable of any empathy at all, you're hiding it very well.

Would you have the balls to say that to their faces? I'm guessing no.

1. I never claimed it was problem solved. You mentioned me supporting them and I just said why I do.

990k and 590k are big numbers. But the point I'm trying to make is that the police have the resources and manpower. The reason some cities and towns have high crime rates is because they have incompetent cops that cant do their job right.

It's a simple pov but that's because it's not that complicated. The job of the police is ot maintain order and protect the people. When the police fault o do this they fail at their jobs. When the same incidents continue to happen its more obvious that the police lack protocall to handle them.

I'm not telling the guy how he should live his life. I just find what he's doing pointless and a waste of time and i'd suggest he do more positive things. If he wants to waste his last days campaigning for euthanasia then more power to the guy but I wouldn't recommend or support it.

I'm very empathetic. I'd say i'm one of the most empathetic people I know. I just don't have empathy for someone wasting their time on a cause I don't support. I would not say it to the guys face unless I was asked for my opinion.

Probably a meme but Young Thug announced he's running for President with Gunna as his VP.
https://www.thefader.com/2019/07/04/young-thug-donald-trump-july-4 lol

EricHiggin said:
Machiavellian said:

You cannot put this all on the Police, they are only so many and if the crowds on both sides are big they will not have enough personnel. The thing about these groups is once they go violent, then they place themselves in the position to be shut down, denied rights to public protest or assemble. Now the key is if the other side had the opportunity would they plant people to commit violence in the name of the other side.  Oh the games we can play once regulations starts flying around.

The police have a job to do. They serve and protect. That's their job and people look up to them and rely on them to do their job and do it properly. If they can't handle it, that's their problem, not the people's.

Or maybe people shouldn't be putting everything on the President? Considering they're just one person, who has a job to do for the people, who's supposed to just deal with it, whatever comes their way.

lol, had to find someway to throw Trump into the mix.  At least you are focused.

Who ever said anything about them not being able to handle their job.  I stated they are undermanned.  When you come up with a solution for that problem then we can talk.  This blind believe that the Police can be everywhere at once seems silly.

jason1637 said:
Machiavellian said:

So how do you become better prepared when you do not have the personnel.  Its very easy to make this statement but I do not hear any solutions coming from you.  How do you police an area you do not have enough people to be in all areas at once.

So its the police fault because they do not have enough people is this the only way you see it.  Needless to say, I am guessing you have absolutely no experience in this area.  How many protest have you been a part of in during your time on this earth.  I have been in a few and I can tell you this.  If you believe that there will always be a cop around to support your right to protest while another side is counter to you exercising your right you will always have someone to blame but it will mean nothing if you are getting stomped into the dirt.

They have the personnel to send a sufficient amount of officers to these protest.

If this was the first time something like this has happened I won't be blaming the police. The issue is that this keeps happening and the police are not prepared. I'm not a protest person but I have been to a few. All cops have to do is stop people from getting seriously hurt. Get involved when they see that violence is about to erupt and try to stop it.

How do you know this.  You are making assumptions and you really are not looking at the complexity of the entire event.  How many cops do you need for a protest you do not know the size of the crowd until it gets there.  You have no clue who is coming from out of state and you still need police to do their normal jobs around the city.  Where are you getting your data they have sufficient personnel or is this just a guess.  Also when an incident breaks out in one part of a protest, how many cops will be needed for that.  How many cops are needed for the direct conflicts where both opposing sides are right next to each other.  It seems you have this simplistic view of the situation without really thinking about the complexity especially since it's not a stationary event. With incidents happening throughout the city, you believe that ever inch will have a police there to cover such a large area, that sounds very naive.

Lol, that's all the cops have to do is stop people from getting seriously hurt.  Man you must be very young because your statement is something out of some idealistic view with totally no experience in history.  This is why people find themselves at these protest getting stomped believing as you do.  Oh, well, at the end of the day, I suggest you never find yourself out on the street proclaiming your right to protest hoping their will be enough police in the area to make sure you do not get hurt.

Around the Network

Did anyone watch that retard give 4th of July speech? I missed it.

PM Sent - cycycychris

Last edited by cycycychris - on 07 July 2019

sethnintendo said:

Naw, I was way to busy grilling, eating and drinking to pay any attention to something like that.  Anyway, you can only listen to so many of Trump's speeches before you start to wonder if a few of your brain cells were destroyed in the process.

Last edited by Machiavellian - on 05 July 2019

sethnintendo said:

I can't listen to that guy speak.  Listening to his voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

Machiavellian said:
jason1637 said:

They have the personnel to send a sufficient amount of officers to these protest.

If this was the first time something like this has happened I won't be blaming the police. The issue is that this keeps happening and the police are not preawwpared. I'm not a protest person but I have been to a few. All cops have to do is stop people from getting seriously hurt. Get involved when they see that violence is about to erupt and try to stop it.

How do you know this.  You are making assumptions and you really are not looking at the complexity of the entire event.  How many cops do you need for a protest you do not know the size of the crowd until it gets there.  You have no clue who is coming from out of state and you still need police to do their normal jobs around the city.  Where are you getting your data they have sufficient personnel or is this just a guess.  Also when an incident breaks out in one part of a protest, how many cops will be needed for that.  How many cops are needed for the direct conflicts where both opposing sides are right next to each other.  It seems you have this simplistic view of the situation without really thinking about the complexity especially since it's not a stationary event. With incidents happening throughout the city, you believe that ever inch will have a police there to cover such a large area, that sounds very naive.

Lol, that's all the cops have to do is stop people from getting seriously hurt.  Man you must be very young because your statement is something out of some idealistic view with totally no experience in history.  This is why people find themselves at these protest getting stomped believing as you do.  Oh, well, at the end of the day, I suggest you never find yourself out on the street proclaiming your right to protest hoping their will be enough police in the area to make sure you do not get hurt.

Lol i'm having an idealistic view by expecting the police to do their job properly?  Whatever dude you keep defending them. I feel sorry for you that you don't hold cops to a higher degree. 

sethnintendo said:

I saw the first half but stopped when he was talking about George Washington cause I had a cookout to go to. The speech had some historical inaccuracies but it was alright.