By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Edge browser better than Chrome Browser?

Ok, I have been having this issue with my HTPC. 

When playing youtube videos (at any resolution) in chrome the playback is stuttering and a times outta sync with the audio cause its dropping frames. A lot.

Now the funny thing is that this only happens in chrome, playing the exact same video in edge browser/firefox works perfectly.

My HTPC has an intel UHD 600 integrated GPU, quad core celeron clocked at 2Ghz+, coupled with 8GB of RAM and a 250GB M.2 SSD.

Remember, this only happens with chrome.

and here is the same video in edge browser

notice the difference in dropped frames?

Any ideas?

Around the Network

I might try edge. Currently use opera it seems to be less ram hungry

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

First thing I did when I got my Surface Pro this year was put chrome as the default. No problems on my end

By the way, Edge is going to internally switch to Chromium, which is basically what Chrome uses. That is, they'll probably function almost identically everywhere once that happens. Obviously Edge is probably still going to keep its own UI and related functionality, but web pages ought to work pretty much identically. This might not be relevant right now but in case you're considered switching to Edge or anything, you might want to consider this too.

I'm having Chrome issues as well with youtube, which is downright comical seeing as how Chrome and youtube are owned by the same company and it has every reason and opportunity to be by far the most stable browser of all for this particular purpose.

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:
I might try edge. Currently use opera it seems to be less ram hungry

The issue isn't RAM...... 

I've mostly always kept my PC usage seperate from my  media consumption. So I always had an android TV box connected to my TV fo things like youtube and plex which was handled by my desktop PC. But I recently decided to declutter and have only three devices, PS4, Laptop and a HTPC. So I got rid of my desktop and got a "smaller" desktop t us as a HTPC.

So far everything is working fine with exception to this weird chrome issue that I never noticed because for the last 3 years I have only ever watched youtube using an android app. Switching browsers is a pain cause all my passwords and autofill info is all in chrome.

There is really no reason why a amologic SOC with 3GB of RAM  in a $99 android TV box should play 4k youtube videos without skipping a beat but the chrome browser in windows 10 running on an intel quad core CPU coupled with 8GB of RAM can't.

I have even installed android x86 on a seperate drive in my HTP and that runs circles around my previous android TV box because of how much more powerful this set u is. Bt ackin windows and with chrome it's the same issue again. But then any other browser I try it works fine.

Sigh.... thi is why I have always disliked windows/PC and pretty much only used it for productivity related stuff...... things just don't "work"..... its always something.

BasilZero said:
Try doing a full reset on Google Chrome.

Settings - > Advanced - > Scroll all the way down and click on "Restore settings to their original defaults".

If that does not work , uninstall Google Chrome. Run a registry cleaner like program (I recommend using CCleaner or bleachbit and clean out temporary files)

Reinstall Chrome and try it.

I would run a antivirus program as well just to be safe in case it may be a file that is disrupting google chrome. Use Malwarebytes.

If you still have the issues after all that - run Google chrome, play the video and check what processes are running the background to see if you notice anything weird.

If you see something like "Google Installer" - just end the process.

Thank, I will try all that. I doubt its a virus tough caue I have only had this HTPC for like 2 weeks and only things I have installed in it is chrome and plex.

And remember, when using any other browser youtube videos work fine.

I think Edge as a browser is maybe the worst thing I've used in years -- borderline unusable --, but I can't deny that it does offer by far the best Netflix and HBO Now playback of all the browsers I've tried.

BasilZero said:
Try doing a full reset on Google Chrome.

Settings - > Advanced - > Scroll all the way down and click on "Restore settings to their original defaults".

If that does not work , uninstall Google Chrome. Run a registry cleaner like program (I recommend using CCleaner or bleachbit and clean out temporary files)

Reinstall Chrome and try it.

I would run a antivirus program as well just to be safe in case it may be a file that is disrupting google chrome. Use Malwarebytes.

If you still have the issues after all that - run Google chrome, play the video and check what processes are running the background to see if you notice anything weird.

If you see something like "Google Installer" - just end the process.

Ok...I did one and two.... problem still persists.

Then I played the video and open task manager..... at this point I had a total of 7 tabs open, 4 of which were youtube tabs, two rest era and two VGC.

The strange thing is that I am seeing like 23 open sinatances in chrome.... all of them are basically not doing anything so I don' know where they came from and what they are even doing there. But the one instance that is playing the video is using only like 6% CPU and 30% GPU and around 500MB of RAM.

I really can't get it..... And I have ero extensions installed. And practically no software installed either.

BasilZero said:

Intrinsic said:

Ok...I did one and two.... problem still persists.

Then I played the video and open task manager..... at this point I had a total of 7 tabs open, 4 of which were youtube tabs, two rest era and two VGC.

The strange thing is that I am seeing like 23 open sinatances in chrome.... all of them are basically not doing anything so I don' know where they came from and what they are even doing there. But the one instance that is playing the video is using only like 6% CPU and 30% GPU and around 500MB of RAM.

I really can't get it..... And I have ero extensions installed. And practically no software installed either.

23 is unusual....well it may be because you have multiple tabs open.

I have one tab opened (Youtube) and have 8-9 instances of Google Chrome open.

I have 3 tabs open on Mozilla Firefox (Youtube, Facebook and VGC) - and have 8-9 instances.

I hate browsers sometimes lol

Is it just that one video or do you have other videos that are affected?

Every video I play on youtube...... 

Oh figured out the multiple instances thing.... and y its because I have multiple tabs open.