By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Election: Democratic Party Discussion

What a glorious day when the Ecuadorian embassy threw this leech/terrorist out.

Around the Network

Not great for Klobuchar, I wonder if it's going to be better this quarter considering her bump on the polls.

I'm not American but I was under the impression that the "safest" candidate against Trump was Biden. This video changed my mind.

Clinton is a woman. Biden is a man.

That alone tells you enough of the amount of goodwill the public will have toward their shortcomings and mistakes.

haxxiy said:

That alone tells you enough of the amount of goodwill the public will have toward their shortcomings and mistakes.

Actually, People care more about the issues than identity. Hillary didn't lose because she was a woman, she lost because she was a terrible candidate and allowed trump to outflank her on trade from the left. Biden is coasting off of Obama but as more people learn about him more will change their minds. The real question is if it'll happen fast enough for Bernie, the actual best chance at beating trump, to win the nomination.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Around the Network
uran10 said:
haxxiy said:

Actually, People care more about the issues than identity. Hillary didn't lose because she was a woman, she lost because she was a terrible candidate and allowed trump to outflank her on trade from the left. Biden is coasting off of Obama but as more people learn about him more will change their minds. The real question is if it'll happen fast enough for Bernie, the actual best chance at beating trump, to win the nomination.

Sexism exists, Biden benefits from its existence...

uran10 said:

Statistically speaking, the most recent polling I've seen on the subject indicates that 12% of Americans would refuse to vote for a woman simply because of her sex, while 4% would refuse to vote for a man because of his sex. The 8% difference between those two numbers is more sufficient to decide an election.

The radical women I associate with online overwhelmingly believe that sexism was the leading factor in Trump's electoral victory. Here's a sample article on the subject by one of them. It makes some pretty good points, such as...

"Hillary Rodham, as pointed out by Samantha Bee, was forced to become Hillary Clinton in order to make the patriarchs more comfortable. America tried to pound the authenticity — the real Hillary — out of her, only to punish her for being a “fake politician robot” when authenticity suddenly became cool."

...AND...

"Hillary may well not have been your feminist dream girl, but let’s not kid ourselves: she was not so widely reviled because of her politics (she’s hardly any different, politically, than the much-adored Obama) — but because she is female. She was hated in specifically sexist ways."

Joe Biden is able to figure that much out, apparently. It is kind of disgusting to me that he has chosen to name his privileged cultural status as a man among the reasons why you should vote for him though. 'America has a sexism problem, so vote for me because I'm male' seems like kind of a reactionary spin on the first acknowledgment.

Do remember as well what happened that one time when Hillary had lower pressure or dehydration or something. The amount of hate from the right-wing media and other concern trolls was unbeliveable.

Meanwhile if you're male you can literally weight like three hundred pounds or have heart attacks during campaign, and still it won't cause the same ammount of concern.

tsogud said:
uran10 said:

Sexism exists, Biden benefits from its existence...

Not saying sexism doesn't exist, just saying people put too much emphasis on it and turn to it and other identity issues as the basis for "that's why xyz happened". Hillary vs Trump was establishment vs (fake)Populist, it was the wife of the dude who shipped the rust belt's jobs overseas vs the guy calling out those trade deals and saying he'll rip them to shreds. Its pretty obvious why Trump won and it had nothing to do with gender. The rust belt would have gone the same way simply because their main issue was the trade deal and hillary was all TPP while trump railed against it.

Biden is in a similar position to hillary being his terrible record. In fact his record is somehow even worse than hers yet he's still up there and there's a simple reason for that. Its the same thing that was boosting hillary at the start. Name recognition and default support and most aren't paying attention. At the start of 2016 I didn't care about the election, I thought hillary would be the nominee and that she was "alright". Then I educated myself on her and on Bernie and then I got very involved politically cause she was a disaster. Its the exact same process, the only difference now is that there are more people involved from the start than not, but that default older base is still there and they're bolstering up Biden just like they did Hillary. Look at Hillary's elections, and I mean all of them. She starts off high in the polls, then slides down as more people know her. Biden is in the exact same spot, the only difference is he can't afford to drop and now that people are starting to pay attention, well.... Iran happened so that may not be the case, but when people pay attention Biden will fall. It comes down to how fast he falls like I said before.

TL:DR Biden's "short comings" etc are going to come up and bite him once people start paying attention just like it did for hillary especially cause unlike her, he doesn't have that leeway. Yes Sexism exists, but you're putting way too much stock into it and not focusing on the real reason trump won 2016. More people are paying attention now and more will pay attention once Iowa hits, that's when we'll see what Biden is really made of.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD