By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Recommend me some Switch games!

The subject kind of covers it. I just got a Switch in preparation for Link's Awakening and need some game recommendations:

• I already have Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Bros
  • As I already have a PS4 and PC, exclusives take priority unless it's something I might wait to play on the move (thinking I might buy Skyrim... again, and Stardew Valley is high on my list)
  • Favorite genres are RPGs (preferably wRPGs but jRPGs are good too), FPS and RTS
  • I also have a toddler who I'm trying to introduce into gaming, so kid friendly recommendations are also a priority
So VGChartz, what should I play?

Around the Network

Pokemon Lets Go Eevee/Pikachu (Actually just wait for Pokemon Sword/Shield)

Xenoblade 2

Throw a pre-order on Fire Emblem Three houses while you're at it 

Super Smash Bros Ultimate. 

Paladins is a fun F2P game. 

Get Persona 5 when it comes out ;)

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Oh man, where do I start?

The usual big ones in Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and Splatoon 2 are the good bets; solid, polished, and fun while still being challenging (for most of them). Splatoon 2's DLC, the Octo-Expansion is very good and more challenging than the main game's single player story mode. For other exclusives, Bayonetta II is a great one; it's a pretty short game, but it is a huge thriller and far more forgiving and refined than the first game, and its replay value is down to trying to find all the fights and items and getting better ranks in the fights.

In terms of RPGs and strategy type games, that are also exclusives, Mario and Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is a big surprise to me and I actually enjoyed that quite a lot more than I expected; it is nicely presented and well detailed and I like the strategy aspect to it. Even though I don't like the Rabbids, they're nowhere near as annoying as I expected; the collaboration somehow works well! Octopath Traveler is a fantastic game to go for; beautiful music, great presentation and very much a JRPG through and through (if a tad grindy at times). It is long so you'll get your money's worth no doubt! Pokemon Lets Go are pretty good and are nice to introduce your kid to the world of Pokemon, and maybe get prepped and ready for the new games Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield later this year.

Outside of RPGs and stuff to introduce to your kid, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Kirby Star Allies would be good starters; they're easy to complete, but Captain Toad is trickier to 100%. Same for the upcoming Yoshi's Crafted World, in that it's likely to follow the usual blueprint, for better or for worse, of being easy to complete normally, but hard to get all the items.

There's so much more that I'm sure others can help you on though; other big ones I've not been able to play due to lack of funds for the longest time unfortunately! I've only listed ones that are out currently that I liked. There's a lot of cool stuff coming later this year, like Super Mario Maker II, Astral Chain (by PlatinumGames, the makers of Bayonetta), Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem: Three Houses and much more to keep our eyes on

Undertale.
Smash Bros.
Pokemon Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu
Mario Tennis Aces.
Super Mario Party.
Splatoon 2.
Fire Emblem Warriors.
Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart.
Octopath Traveler.

Around the Network

Hollow Knight

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. It's an RPG. And it almost feels, in a way, to be a Japanese take on a WRPG. Very good game in general. It's only knock is it's age. I can't vouch for the Switch version, but it was great on XB360/PS3, so one would imagine the Switch version would be better.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Well did you have a Wii U?

If not Bayonetta 1+2 are great
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Lego City Undercover for your Kid
Mario Odysey For your Kid
Mario Kart 8 for your Kid
Skyrim is a great Port, runs really well
Fifa 18/19 are decent ports

hmm  in my opinion you should play Splatoon 2, Octopath Traveler, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Stardew Valley, Hollow Knight, Golf Story, Dragonball FighterZ, Blazblue Crosstag, Naruto Storm trilogy, Katamary Damacy reroll, The World ends with you and VOEZ

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)

Wow, thanks for the recommendations everyone! A few I haven't heard/thought of that I'll check out.

Definitely looks like Xenoblade 2 will be high on my list . I played the first one on Wii although never got round to completing it. And I don't think I can have a Nintendo console for long without Mario Kart.

Looks like Kirby, Captain Toad and Yoshi's Crafted World for the little one. Probably get Odyssey and Pokemon at some point as well but I'll see how he picks them up, and if it's a bit too advanced for him they'll be plenty fun for me!