At this stage it looks like a rumour of a rumour. So seems like wishful thinking imo. I am not sure how much money Sony has but surely it would take a massive chunk of its capital out if it was to buy TT.
Its potentially fake. Check the forums Forevercloud btw.
Sure this rumor seems unbelievable but I want to discuss the reasons why it may be true.
I have been reading the pages from the same topic on NeoGaf and some great points have been brought up.
1. FACT: The competition is about to get stiff with Google entering the ring. Google will be unveiling it's hardware/ethos for gaming on March 19th. This could really be a big game changer. Rumors say it will be a streaming device. This is all but assured, It falls perfectly in line as to why MS is in such a big rush to get xCloud up and running to compete. I think both Sony and MS are worried about potentially huge industry shake ups by new competitors and changing landscapes. For instance a real game changer for gaming with Google could be due to the small fact THEY ACTUALLY HAVE THEIR OWN WW INTERNET SERVICE!!!! Just speculation, but imagine wireless gaming anywhere and not needing to go through any ISP?
2. Rumor of MS trying to buy EA. Which, if we really get into these rumors they start from something. While lies have stirred the stock market before it usually has to come from one or two believable points. I think MS is/was looking into acquiring EA. It is also now rumored that Google is also looking for big developer purchases, which makes sense for a financial titan like them to try and move serious weight when breaking into a new industry.
3.Sony does have the money. The main questions I keep seeing posed is continued operations cost after an acquisition but I think they are mostly failing to see Sony would be inching back from the debt instantly once they bump from 30% share of GTAV/NBA microtransactions up to 100%. Like think about it. Sony has had the lion share of all these big titles. 2:1 ratio with xbox one, sometimes larger. Sony was getting their cut from GTA Shark Cards, Fortnite VBucks, etc etc. Whatever Take Two was selling, a good portion was already going to Sony. Yet it can't be disputed that Microsoft as a company has far more than them. That is a question of would you rather be run by MS or Sony as a game studio? Sure MS pockets are deep but their management in gaming is very unproven, shakey even.
4. Take Two and Sony have always had a good working relationship. I mean really, TT largest success was always on Playstation hardware. The two of them together could really make something beautiful. Several times it was a Sony exclusive IP put against one of Rockstar's finest.
5. AGENT, the comeback. The mystery fabled game that Sony apparently PAID TT/Rockstar for that never came to fruition. They were under some contract or another to make GTAIV exclusive.....that contract was allowed to be broken under the idea of future compensation in the game AGENT......which never happened. This could be one of the key reasons as to why such a large buy could be feasible. Maybe TT is still on the hook financially as well as legally for failing to reprise this game. The two companies good standing keeps it from getting ugly but it could definitely be a deciding factor. The game was supposed to be something valued at equal to a GTA title and exclusive, especially now.......that would be something worth billions. Of course if Sony owns Rockstar and GTA it becomes water under the bridge.
6. For Rockstar alone.....it would be worth every penny.