By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Update: Jade Raymond joins Google as Vice President | Rumor: Google's gaming console details leaked, possible controller design revealed via patent

DonFerrari said:
RaptorChrist said:
Sony didn't originally have analog sticks on the PS1 controller. Didn't Sony add them because the N64 came out and they needed to be competitive in that space? I dunno. That would mean that the only reason they aren't offset is because they retained the same controller layout they always had from the beginning.

BraLod, I am calling you out for your nonsense. You pretty much said that the only reason other companies don't have analog sticks that are symmetrical is because Sony did it first and they would be copying. I think you and I both know that's just nonsense. In your argument you even implied that symmetrical sticks are superior as though it wasn't up for debate, despite the majority feeling the opposite.

In fact, I don't think it's a total stretch of the imagination to picture a world where Sony actually switches to an offset controller layout down the road. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on such a travesty.

8 months from release of N64 to release of dual analog on PS1. It would hardly be due to the success of N64.

Sure the original controller likely looked like SNES due to Sony PS being due to Nintendo fucking they over on a partnership and they likely rushing and keeping same design.

Considering they had to not only develop the controller but also games supporting it, for me it seems more like they were going on that direction anyway. Also if they were copying Nintendo they wouldn't have used 2 analogs.

The reason I made my post is because I'm reading things that are blatantly false. Intentionally false, said in a manner where it's clear the person is trolling. In particular, it was the statement BraLod made saying that no other company is allowed to have a symmetrical layout because Sony patented it.

Here's an equivalent statement: Sony wasn't allowed to use cartridges on the PS1 because Nintendo patented the idea, so they were forced to go with the inferior disc-based technology. Clearly, the point I'm making is untrue, and it makes assumptions that are false. Sony is not the only company that has a symmetrical analog layout, so the whole patent thing is untrue. Also, you can't have an intelligent discussion in which you force assumptions like that.

Also, who cares if one company copied another. Why do you feel the need to try and come up with a reason for Sony to have created the PS1 analog sticks without being influenced by the N64. Clearly you would prefer that it wasn't copied off Nintendo, otherwise you wouldn't have thrown so many different reasons about it. Why do you feel that way?

In an interesting turn of events, I am really curious now to learn about your view of the big three. Do you only play games on Sony platforms? Do you avoid playing games on Nintendo platforms, and why? Is there something about Nintendo that caused you to not like them (i.e., the way they run their business)? Lastly, would you identify yourself as a fanboy? 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
ThatDreamcastTho said:
Sounds good but I need official confirmation and details... What day is this press conference Google is having?

March 19th at 10AM PT / 1PM ET. They are using the tagline "All will be revealed", so definitely seems like they will not only announce the console there, but the games as well possibly. I could see them aiming for a Holiday 2019 or Q1 2020 release in order to get a headstart on the gen against PS5 and Xbox Scarlett which are both rumored for Holiday 2020. 

Thanks. This might be really amazing. Hopefully the controller is rechargeable and doesn't make you put alkaline batteries in it. I think sony will be next to announce and I could see all three coming out this November.

OTBWY said:
thismeintiel said:

And this is what I was talking about when I said reaching for excuses to defend the offset sticks. If it really is that much of a stretch for you to reach them on a DS4, you must have exceptionally small hands. My hands aren't very large and when grip the DS4, my thumbs rest comfortably between the Dpad/face buttons and the thumbsticks. I barely have to move them to reach h what I need to hit. It's comfortable to play for hours with it.

Exactly.

You know what you're doing right. I mean, you're being very hypocritical when you think people are making excuses to justify their choice of controller layout. I can say the same thing. All you guys do is excuse the bad dualshock layout, which was bad from inception. And now that you're used to it, you defend it. Also, let me tell that with any type of hand, the dualshock gets to most uncomfortable when play long hours on end. You can not deny that, and people who read this know it is true but are not willing to admit it. Also, how nice is it that with the DS's stick placement your thumbs can touch if you have big hands.

Not being hypocritical at all. I have said both work fine, but I prefer symmetrical controllers, since my hands are also symmetrical. You are the one acting as if the Dual Shock is an abomination, even though it is by far the best selling controller. 

That's strange, my hands never got uncomfortable playing for hours on end. They only recent controller that did that to me was the 360 controller. For some reason, instead of the back of the controller being completely concave for your fingers, they have a ridge back there. That start to hurt my forefinger after an hour or two. I think they fixed it on the XBO controller.

Like I said, you must have freakishly small hands. When my son was 8, he had little trouble playing on the DS3. And when we got the PS4, he was 10, and had no problems with the DS4.

RaptorChrist said: 
Sony didn't originally have analog sticks on the PS1 controller. Didn't Sony add them because the N64 came out and they needed to be competitive in that space? I dunno. That would mean that the only reason they aren't offset is because they retained the same controller layout they always had from the beginning.

BraLod, I am calling you out for your nonsense. You pretty much said that the only reason other companies don't have analog sticks that are symmetrical is because Sony did it first and they would be copying. I think you and I both know that's just nonsense. In your argument you even implied that symmetrical sticks are superior as though it wasn't up for debate, despite the majority feeling the opposite.

In fact, I don't think it's a total stretch of the imagination to picture a world where Sony actually switches to an offset controller layout down the road. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on such a travesty.

The majority thinks the opposite? You do realize that the DS is by far the best selling set of controllers, right?

If Google has been successful in lobbying third parties to make stuff for their consoles and has a robust exclusive line-up, this could be interesting.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

DonFerrari said:
RaptorChrist said:

8 months from release of N64 to release of dual analog on PS1. It would hardly be due to the success of N64.

Sure the original controller likely looked like SNES due to Sony PS being due to Nintendo fucking they over on a partnership and they likely rushing and keeping same design.

Considering they had to not only develop the controller but also games supporting it, for me it seems more like they were going on that direction anyway. Also if they were copying Nintendo they wouldn't have used 2 analogs.

It's also important to note that the OG Dual Analog was just continuation of their work with analog sticks, most notably the Analog Flight Controller. They were most likely looking to shrink it down to fit into your hands, because its bulky size is why it didn't sell well in Japan, which is the reason why the DA controller has a Flightstick setting.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:

The majority thinks the opposite? You do realize that the DS is by far the best selling set of controllers, right?

Right. I have also purchased more DS controllers than any other controller I own. I have probably owned 20 or so PS controllers over the course of my life. But even I can admit that the Xbone controllers are generally rated better. And because you made me doubt myself, I did a quick Google search for "which console has the best controller" and the top result also claims Xbox as the winner. Do I like the Xbox controller the most? I'm not sure, probably not (the 360 controller was the last I owned). But I recognize that people in general seem to like it.

What's weird is that I'm not taking sides here. But I'm also capable of seeing things the way they are. I don't know you, but you come across as someone who would defend any point in favor of Sony no matter what it is. I asked someone else a similar question, and now I'm curious to learn about you. I'm not trying to sound condescending or anything, but I'm curious if you would classify yourself as a fanboy? Do you dislike Nintendo or Microsoft? Why is that? Do you only play games on Sony home consoles?

Just want to say I'm a super nice person and have never been in a fight in my life. Most people seem to like me. Maybe we can be friends. :)

Manlytears said:
OTBWY said:

You know what you're doing right. I mean, you're being very hypocritical when you think people are making excuses to justify their choice of controller layout. I can say the same thing. All you guys do is excuse the bad dualshock layout, which was bad from inception. And now that you're used to it, you defend it. Also, let me tell that with any type of hand, the dualshock gets to most uncomfortable when play long hours on end. You can not deny that, and people who read this know it is true but are not willing to admit it. Also, how nice is it that with the DS's stick placement your thumbs can touch if you have big hands.

Whit all due respect, the level of arrogance on this statement is just.... damn!!! You insist that offset is the best and symmetrical is wrong! Why not accept that both are good!? Why not accept that there are people that feel better whit symmetrical?

I even bring up the "claw technique" that, imho, is great for use on games like nioh, dark souls and monster Hunter, something that is impossible to do on Offset controller! Why can't you accept opinions that are different from yours? People here are accepting that Offset works well, and it's all about preferences, but you insist in saying symmetrical is bad and doens't work! Tha's very arrogant way to put things.

Excuse me? Why are you silent against the guy that basically said that defending anything other than symmetrical makes you a fanboy? 

thismeintiel said:
OTBWY said:

Not being hypocritical at all. I have said both work fine, but I prefer symmetrical controllers, since my hands are also symmetrical. You are the one acting as if the Dual Shock is an abomination, even though it is by far the best selling controller. 

That's strange, my hands never got uncomfortable playing for hours on end. They only recent controller that did that to me was the 360 controller. For some reason, instead of the back of the controller being completely concave for your fingers, they have a ridge back there. That start to hurt my forefinger after an hour or two. I think they fixed it on the XBO controller.

Like I said, you must have freakishly small hands. When my son was 8, he had little trouble playing on the DS3. And when we got the PS4, he was 10, and had no problems with the DS4.

RaptorChrist said: 

It is a bad argument to bring sales into this. Cause the Wiimote sold a lot too. Do you think that makes it one of the best controllers? By your logic?

Anyway, the DS only got better with the DS4. Before that, it was uncomfortable to fully handle as it never really rested in your full grip. You always had the awkward handles preventing that. Only with the DS4 did they fix that finally (better than the banana controller thankfully) and even with that one they keep to the annoying stick placement. My left thumb should be resting more closed than open. It wears when you do this over a long time. My hands are not small at all lol. And I know you won't admit that.

Manlytears said:

Never had to use claw grip once, and I have some thousand trophies over several hundred games played on PS since PS1.

you should try, I consider the technique very convenient and, with practice, the movement becomes very natural to do things like changing weapons and selecting items. it's one of the things I like in symmetrical controls, just make a regular grip and slide your index finger into the dpad when needed.

Well I don't remember being troubled by not being able to fast enough go from analog to d-pad, but I'll consider it if I decide to play Souls.

RaptorChrist said:
DonFerrari said:

The reason I made my post is because I'm reading things that are blatantly false. Intentionally false, said in a manner where it's clear the person is trolling. In particular, it was the statement BraLod made saying that no other company is allowed to have a symmetrical layout because Sony patented it.

Here's an equivalent statement: Sony wasn't allowed to use cartridges on the PS1 because Nintendo patented the idea, so they were forced to go with the inferior disc-based technology. Clearly, the point I'm making is untrue, and it makes assumptions that are false. Sony is not the only company that has a symmetrical analog layout, so the whole patent thing is untrue. Also, you can't have an intelligent discussion in which you force assumptions like that.

Also, who cares if one company copied another. Why do you feel the need to try and come up with a reason for Sony to have created the PS1 analog sticks without being influenced by the N64. Clearly you would prefer that it wasn't copied off Nintendo, otherwise you wouldn't have thrown so many different reasons about it. Why do you feel that way?

In an interesting turn of events, I am really curious now to learn about your view of the big three. Do you only play games on Sony platforms? Do you avoid playing games on Nintendo platforms, and why? Is there something about Nintendo that caused you to not like them (i.e., the way they run their business)? Lastly, would you identify yourself as a fanboy? 

If you think someone is trolling make a report.

Do you have evidence that Sony didn't patent the design of the controllers? Because you are saying he is lying, you probably can prove it right?

You may have a patent and not sue small companies that break your patent, can also license it to partners. On the cartridge we are plenty sure it wasn't due to patent in cartridge because not only there were cartridges before Nintendo entered console but also Sony used CD (won't enter the quality discussion) because that was what they were working with Nintendo before the deal died.

If you think it isn't important why did you brought it up? I gave reasons why it likely isn't a copy based on the success of N64 as you claimed.

I have all consoles from Sega, X360, will complete my Nintendo consoles with Switch this year. I certainly favor Sony and call accept myself as a fanboy (although I wouldn't call or ask someone is a fanboy over here). I don't avoid Nintendo, I play several of their games, just not my favorites. Not sure what this have to do with the point.

If you want a reason for the reply besides you bringing the point, would be that in this forum is quite common to have claims that Sony only copies Nintendo all the time.

thismeintiel said:
DonFerrari said:

It's also important to note that the OG Dual Analog was just continuation of their work with analog sticks, most notably the Analog Flight Controller. They were most likely looking to shrink it down to fit into your hands, because its bulky size is why it didn't sell well in Japan, which is the reason why the DA controller has a Flightstick setting.

Yes people don't understand that it have possibility that something was already on the work before a competitor revealed their idea. Or even that they may have been influenced but would probably have gotten there without that influence because that was the natural path on their development.

RaptorChrist said:
thismeintiel said:

Right. I have also purchased more DS controllers than any other controller I own. I have probably owned 20 or so PS controllers over the course of my life. But even I can admit that the Xbone controllers are generally rated better. And because you made me doubt myself, I did a quick Google search for "which console has the best controller" and the top result also claims Xbox as the winner. Do I like the Xbox controller the most? I'm not sure, probably not (the 360 controller was the last I owned). But I recognize that people in general seem to like it.

What's weird is that I'm not taking sides here. But I'm also capable of seeing things the way they are. I don't know you, but you come across as someone who would defend any point in favor of Sony no matter what it is. I asked someone else a similar question, and now I'm curious to learn about you. I'm not trying to sound condescending or anything, but I'm curious if you would classify yourself as a fanboy? Do you dislike Nintendo or Microsoft? Why is that? Do you only play games on Sony home consoles?

Just want to say I'm a super nice person and have never been in a fight in my life. Most people seem to like me. Maybe we can be friends. :)

Yes there are several people that claim or evaluate X360 as the better controller. They may even be the majority does that prove it is the better?

You really want to cause problem right? Why don't you present yourself on the self-indulging questions you are making.

OTBWY said:
thismeintiel said:

It is a bad argument to bring sales into this. Cause the Wiimote sold a lot too. Do you think that makes it one of the best controllers? By your logic?

Anyway, the DS only got better with the DS4. Before that, it was uncomfortable to fully handle as it never really rested in your full grip. You always had the awkward handles preventing that. Only with the DS4 did they fix that finally (better than the banana controller thankfully) and even with that one they keep to the annoying stick placement. My left thumb should be resting more closed than open. It wears when you do this over a long time. My hands are not small at all lol. And I know you won't admit that.

abou 19 years playing on DS and never felt akward.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

shikamaru317 said:
OTBWY said:

This right here is exactly the problem I have with symmetric analog sticks. Naturally your thumb rests close to the side of your hand, close to the side of the index finger. Having the left stick on the bottom center left position of the controller, like on dual shock and this google patent controller, requires you to stretch your thumb out of that natural closed position. You already have to stretch your right thumb into that unnatural position since every controller except Wii U puts the right analog stick into the bottom center right position, but since most gamers have muscle memory built up for having the face buttons above and to the right of the right analog stick, we deal with it. But the dual shock and this google patent controller make you put your left thumb into that unnatural position as well, which is particularly bad for the left thumb since almost every game these days has 3D movement and as such you will use the left analog for over 90% of your gaming time, unless  you are just a massive 2D fighter and 2D platformer fan. Extended usage of the dual shock actually makes the connective tissues of my left thumb hurt, and I have been using it for 2 years now so it doesn't seem like a problem that will just go away with more usage. 

Gaming for 19 years (probably averaging like over 20h a week, and when playing something I really like even 16h in a day) on DS and have yet to fell any damage from this excruciating burden of symmetrical analog. With almost 400M playstation sold it seems like this massive problem would make a very good class action right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."