By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - LABO VR Kit - Video Overview released

curl-6 said:

Like i said, I'm not a fan of having a screen strapped to my face, doesn't matter how "decent" the model is considered by those who are into such things.

Well, people also aren't too happy about wearing a helmet on a motor bike, quad, kart, skateboard... or to strap on ski goggles or swim goggles or diving goggles to ski /swim / dive, but they put them on anyway to have either more security or a better experience. And it doesn't stop there, they even put on diving suits, protective gear, etc. to enjoy their hobbies.

It is the same for VR headsets: for a minor inconvenience you are getting experiences not possible without the HMD. If the experiences and immersion are worth it, people will accept the necessary minor hassle. Mileage will vary from person to person, but the VR-experiences will get a lot better over time and the hassle will get smaller over time.

Around the Network

I cant begin to imagine how bad this will be unless ninty work some wizadry. VR looks pretty crap and blurry on my ps4 Pro so.im not filled with confidence with this one.

Nogamez said:
I cant begin to imagine how bad this will be unless ninty work some wizadry. VR looks pretty crap and blurry on my ps4 Pro so.im not filled with confidence with this one.

hm.. while many of the games (especially with larger scope/focus on realism) look pretty blurry there are some games/instances in which the PSVR looks very reasonably sharp to me, like in "Bound" (especially the select menu), in "Squishies"(it also masks the mura very effectively imo) or the littlestar menu

Conina said:
curl-6 said:

Like i said, I'm not a fan of having a screen strapped to my face, doesn't matter how "decent" the model is considered by those who are into such things.

Well, people also aren't too happy about wearing a helmet on a motor bike, quad, kart, skateboard... or to strap on ski goggles or swim goggles or diving goggles to ski /swim / dive, but they put them on anyway to have either more security or a better experience. And it doesn't stop there, they even put on diving suits, protective gear, etc. to enjoy their hobbies.

It is the same for VR headsets: for a minor inconvenience you are getting experiences not possible without the HMD. If the experiences and immersion are worth it, people will accept the necessary minor hassle. Mileage will vary from person to person, but the VR-experiences will get a lot better over time and the hassle will get smaller over time.

Are you really comparing safety precautions to VR?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Conina said:

Are you really ignoring most of my post? I'm talking about devices or clothing which are necessary or helpful to enjoy a hobby.

For example swimming or diving goggles which aren't safety precautions. These goggles help you to see underwater and help you to enjoy swimming, diving and snorkeling.

A VR headset helps you to see the content of a virtual world, where you can look in every direction of that virtual world with stereoscopic depth perception. It helps to "put you in this world" instead of looking through a tiny window into this world.

It also helps to be impressed by the the scale of some virtual worlds or the scale of some creatures in this virtual world, f. e. the size of Trico in "The Last Guardian VR Experience" or huge rock walls, deep gorges and big ancient machines in "Obduction". Climbing the giant (and fast growing) plant in "Astro Bot" lets you fells like Jack in "Jack and the Beanstalk".

Last edited by Conina - on 09 March 2019

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Conina said:

I have trouble believing someone proficient in english (like a native englisher speaker should be) has any difficulties understanding the reasonable point that was made. Are you arguing in good faith ?

Lafiel said:
zorg1000 said:

I have trouble believing someone proficient in english (like a native englisher speaker should be) has any difficulties understanding the reasonable point that was made. Are you arguing in good faith ?

There was no point. Curl said hes not a fan of having a screen strapped to his face and Conina replied that people wear helmets and goggles all the time as if that has anything to do with Curl's personal feelings about VR headsets or things strapped to his head in general.

Why cant VR fans just accept that some people arent interested in VR? Literally every time I have seen someone say they dont like VR or that it doesnt appeal to them there is always someone questioning if they have ever used one and then goes on to list reasons why the person is wrong for not liking or being interested in VR.

Conina's argument about helmets/goggles takes the cake for most irrelevant rebuttle I have ever seen on this site.

Last edited by zorg1000 - on 09 March 2019

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Conina said:
zorg1000 said:

Are you really ignoring most of my post? I'm talking about devices or clothing which are necessary or helpful to enjoy a hobby.

For example swimming or diving goggles which aren't safety precautions. These goggles help you to see underwater and help you to enjoy swimming, diving and snorkeling.

A VR headset helps you to see the content of a virtual world, where you can look in every direction of that virtual world with stereoscopic depth perception. It helps to "put you in this world" instead of looking through a tiny window into this world.

It also helps to be impressed by the the scale of some virtual worlds or the scale of some creatures in this virtual world, f. e. the size of Trico in "The Last Guardian VR Experience" or huge rock walls, deep gorges and big ancient machines in "Obduction". Climbing the giant (and fast growing) plant in "Astro Bot" lets you fells like Jack in "Jack and the Beanstalk".

I'm not ignoring anything and yes water goggles have multiple uses and one of them is safety as they prevent things from getting in your eyes but that's besides the point.

Just because helmets/goggles are useful or necessary for certain activities doesnt really change the fact that some people find VR headsets to be unappealing or that they dont make the experience more immersive for them.

Like I just dont get your counter point,

Curl: "i dont like having a screen strapped to my face"

You: "ya well helmets are good protection and goggles help you see in water"

Is that supposed to make him think twice about his personal feelings towards VR?

zorg1000 said:

Like I just dont get your counter point,

You: "ya well helmets are good protection and goggles help you see in water"

Me: "Many people don't like having objects strapped to their face, BUT if it allows them to enjoy activities (better/safer), they will accept the minor hassle."

zorg1000 said:
Lafiel said:

There was no point. Curl said hes not a fan of having a screen strapped to his face and Conina replied that people wear helmets and goggles all the time as if that has anything to do with Curl's personal feelings about VR headsets or things strapped to his head in general.

Why cant VR fans just accept that some people arent interested in VR? Literally every time I have seen someone say they dont like VR or that it doesnt appeal to them there is always someone questioning if they have ever used one and then goes on to list reasons why the person is wrong for not liking or being interested in VR.

Conina's argument about helmets/goggles takes the cake for most irrelevant rebuttle I have ever seen on this site.

And in no way has Conina said, that this should change Curl's personal feelings about this.