By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - USGamer - The Steady Decline of Bioware

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-steady-decline-of-bioware

Bit of a long article, but here are some parts:

Once regarded as one of the very best RPG studios in the business, BioWare's games have drawn more and more criticism over the years. Star Wars: The Old Republic had problems with its endgame; Mass Effect 3 had problems with its ending; Dragon Age: Inquisition had problems with being shallow, and Mass Effect: Andromeda... well... Mass Effect: Andromeda just had problems. Even Mass Effect 2, still regarded by many as Peak BioWare, drew its share of grumbles from old-school RPG fans for emphasizing action over depth.

EA, being the easy target that it is, tends to catch most of the blame for BioWare's troubles. But that's only part of the story. The truth is that BioWare was already on its current path when EA entered the picture.

Behind the scenes, BioWare has suffered a talent drain as some of its longest-serving developers have departed for greener pastures. Founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk went into semi-retirement; writers Mike Laidlaw and David Gaider departed after Dragon Age: Inquisition, and Mass Effect 3 director Casey Hudson left and then returned. Changes like these would have a negative impact on any studio.

More than ever, BioWare needs to reset, refocus, and get back to basics with a smart, focused RPG of the type that it used to make. In a perfect world, that would be Knights of the Old Republic 3, or whatever Dragon Age 4 ends up being (assuming it gets made). Sadly, Anthem's slow start combined with EA's intransigence makes that seem unlikely, and that leaves the future of one of gaming's great studios very much in doubt.

Around the Network

Oh dear...who on Earth would consider ME2 peak of Bioware?

HoloDust said:

Clueless Youngsters.

All games get complaints. Especially from "old school RPG fans," a segment which I've grown to loathe, despite being a fan of old school RPGs myself. One of the whiniest groups of fans I've ever seen--or, at the least, one with an arrogant and pretentious vocal minority.

Many of those games listed in the OP are really good. Even Star Wars: The Old Republic was excellent in many aspects--probably the best "solo experience" I've ever had in an MMO, which a fantastic roleplaying system that allowed for mercenary options besides the normal good-and-evil roles. They didn't nail the WOW style endgame but, quite honestly, that's my least favorite aspect of MMOs to begin with.

This feels very bandwagonish.

Bioware lost sight of what is important, now they are dying because of it.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
HoloDust said:

Clueless Youngsters.

Baldurs Gate 2 ? :p

It's a shame. I really enjoyed the first Dragon Age, felt almost like a single player Everquest. Mass Effect never did it for me as much, though I did appreciate the scope of the game and some elements of the story. Anthem actually looked like it held a lot of potential, but the reviews and backlash basically killed the hype.

Oh well, still got Cyberpunk to rely on for a potentially good epic sci fi RPG.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Immersiveunreality said:
Random_Matt said:

Clueless Youngsters.

Baldurs Gate 2 ? :p

That is still their greatest game, remember skiving off school when playing the original 

JamesGarret said:

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-steady-decline-of-bioware

Bit of a long article, but here are some parts:

Once regarded as one of the very best RPG studios in the business, BioWare's games have drawn more and more criticism over the years. Star Wars: The Old Republic had problems with its endgame; Mass Effect 3 had problems with its ending; Dragon Age: Inquisition had problems with being shallow, and Mass Effect: Andromeda... well... Mass Effect: Andromeda just had problems. Even Mass Effect 2, still regarded by many as Peak BioWare, drew its share of grumbles from old-school RPG fans for emphasizing action over depth.

EA, being the easy target that it is, tends to catch most of the blame for BioWare's troubles. But that's only part of the story. The truth is that BioWare was already on its current path when EA entered the picture.

Behind the scenes, BioWare has suffered a talent drain as some of its longest-serving developers have departed for greener pastures. Founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk went into semi-retirement; writers Mike Laidlaw and David Gaider departed after Dragon Age: Inquisition, and Mass Effect 3 director Casey Hudson left and then returned. Changes like these would have a negative impact on any studio.

More than ever, BioWare needs to reset, refocus, and get back to basics with a smart, focused RPG of the type that it used to make. In a perfect world, that would be Knights of the Old Republic 3, or whatever Dragon Age 4 ends up being (assuming it gets made). Sadly, Anthem's slow start combined with EA's intransigence makes that seem unlikely, and that leaves the future of one of gaming's great studios very much in doubt.

@bolded 1: Really? What, are you, Author? Like, 25?

@bolded 2: In a perfect world, Black Isle would have survived, they were vastly better than Bioware even at their highest. Fallout, Planetscape: Torment, Icewind Dale... But they were to good to last...

Bofferbrauer2 said:

@bolded 2: In a perfect world, Black Isle would have survived, they were vastly better than Bioware even at their highest. Fallout, Planetscape: Torment, Icewind Dale... But they were to good to last...

Yeah, Black Isle was vastly superior to Bioware, but luckily their legacy lived on through Troika and Obsidian.

Bioware is classic case of dev wanting to go mainstream from what is pretty much niche genre, and loosing their focus along the way.