By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3DMark Questions and Help

OK so part 2 of my Gaming Laptop question continues lol.

As some of you know I ended up going for the MSI GE75 8SF, which as an RTX2070.  Mainly wen this one as it was the only model I could find in stock that had a 17inch screen that was reasonably prices. GTS models were either sold out or only $200 cheaper.

Now I made my decision on this model based on 3DMark scores it got on sites and leaks of the RTX 2070.

Time Spy Results

Mine 6,430 vs Other 8,022

22%-33% lower performance

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/6411633/spy/6196093

Fire Strike Results

Mine 16,216 vs 18,136

10%-15% lower performance

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/18527534/fs/18201553

Granted this one is probably OC, however i then compared it to more stock setups:

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/6411633/spy/6304293/spy/6084491/spy/6410491/spy/6300717/spy/6299557#

All settings in the test were identical too:

FreeSync enabled FALSE

G-Sync enabled FALSE

V-Sync enabled FALSE

THE QUESTIONS:

- Is there some special way i need to set up the test? My score seems to be lower that mos models that are the same

- Is it normal for the GPU to get to the high 80s and high 90s for these tests?
- Will a F2P game like Apex be a good way to test the CPU/GPU to see what temp it runs at whilst gaming?
ON A SIDE NOTE:
- GTAIV i installed it and the bloody game picks the onboard card lol. FMD, thought they be smart enough to let you choose your video card in the game settings lol

Around the Network

From what I see in the first link is that the other one has a vastly larger memory bus (1750Mhz compared to his 2050Mhz), so this test is probably very memory intensive. His CPU turbos also 200Mhs higher here, which might also be a factor to the gap.

On the second one, he overclocked the GPU to 2070Mhz (nice one btw), which is 165Mhz more than you have on yours there. Combined with slightly higher memory clock this is probably worth the bulk of the difference.

But one thing I remarked on both tests is that his drivers are more up-to-date (can have quite some influence) and that he has a newer Windows 10 version, which also might play a role.

So my suggestion is to update Windows and Drivers and then have another go before trying anything else. But if you want to change something already I'd suggest overclocking the VRAM, as it seems the 2070 is limited by bandwith, at least in those tests.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 01 March 2019

Bofferbrauer2 said:

From what I see in the first link is that the other one has a vastly larger memory bus (1750Mhz compared to his 2050Mhz), so this test is probably very memory intensive. His CPU turbos also 200Mhs higher here, which might also be a factor to the gap.

On the second one, he overclocked the GPU to 2070Mhz (nice one btw), which is 165Mhz more than you have on yours there. Combined with slightly higher memory clock this is probably worth the bulk of the difference.

But one thing I remarked on both tests is that his drivers are more up-to-date (can have quite some influence) and that he has a newer Windows 10 version, which also might play a role.

So my suggestion is to update Windows and Drivers and then have another go before trying anything else. But if you want to change something already I'd suggest overclocking the VRAM, as it seems the 2070 is limited by bandwith, at least in those tests.

Thanks for that will try some suggestions put forward.

Have a look at the third link where I compare several machines. They were closer to mine in setup even identical or lower clock one i think..

Cobretti2 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Have a look at the third link where I compare several machines. They were closer to mine in setup even identical or lower clock one i think..

Yeah , it's funny that some are all far in front with the same clock speeds as the others. It could be that heat is an issue with yours (throttling too much to keep up), so I'd suggest Speedfan or any other tool to track and record the speeds and temps of the different parts in your laptop. However, if that's the issue, than either the build is shit or you got a bad unit, as there shouldn't just be such a large gap between yours and the rest of the bunch

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Cobretti2 said:

Yeah , it's funny that some are all far in front with the same clock speeds as the others. It could be that heat is an issue with yours (throttling too much to keep up), so I'd suggest Speedfan or any other tool to track and record the speeds and temps of the different parts in your laptop. However, if that's the issue, than either the build is shit or you got a bad unit, as there shouldn't just be such a large gap between yours and the rest of the bunch

Well during the test the GPU gets between 80-95degrees. Even when i turn on cool boost which means both fans spin at 5500RPM each.

I installed apex and was running around the training map, GPU gets to about 75 or so max.