By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Backwards Compatibility could already be in the works by the lead architect of the PS4

Even though it makes sense for backwards compatibility to exist for the next consoles, I'll try to not get too hyped on that regard in case there is no B/C. However, shelving a feature like this would be idiotic since you want for your old library to be playable on the newer system.

But if this were to be true, I would really love not only for my PS4 games to be fully backwards compatible, but for PS3 games to also be playable through streaming.

Around the Network

great news!

It would be an incredibly bad business decision if they didn't have it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

BC is a must have going forward. No BC would be a deal breaker. Although very few people still play old games but at least the games they bought are still assets to them which can be used.

I think rumors like this will probably hurt them in the long run. I've seen this and stories like it popping up all over, and the general excitement I keep seeing from people who don't understand how hard this would be makes me feel like not announcing PS1-4 Bc, would be a letdown and almost free marketing for MS, if they evolved their current system into true BC.
I just don't think Sony expected it to be that big of a deal, and all they've invested in is making PS4 purchases carry over. But, the last thing they want is to have their competition branding them anti consumer right out of the gate (we've see how that works before).

Around the Network

Source: https://www.vgr.com/sony-has-filed-a-patent-for-backwards-compatibility/

With Mark Cerny working on this, I’m guessing that it’s going to at least be compatible with PS4, but I will be (pleasantly) surprised if it works with PS3 or older games.

Mr_No said:
Even though it makes sense for backwards compatibility to exist for the next consoles, I'll try to not get too hyped on that regard in case there is no B/C. However, shelving a feature like this would be idiotic since you want for your old library to be playable on the newer system.

But if this were to be true, I would really love not only for my PS4 games to be fully backwards compatible, but for PS3 games to also be playable through streaming.

~pic~

THIS SO MUCH!!!

But that's not even the best collection of MGS on the PS3!

(probably not going to happen, though ...)

If PS5 will have BC then MS needs to find something else to boast about next gen hehe

In all seriousness, this is fantastic news.  Maybe we'll stop getting all those "HD remasters" that arent even that old and doesn't deserve.

KBG29 said:
Since B/C is going to be industry standard going forward, and across multiple form factors at that, I don't really think Sony has a choice if they want to remain a player in this space.

There have been a lot of signs that PS5 will have B/C. I think the only question now is how far will it go. Sony will have to move away from Cell/Nvidia based servers for PS3 games on PS Now. That will likely mean PS3 games will end up emulated on Epyc/Radeon based servers. This will be the same tech we have in PS5, so there is really no reason PS5 should not include PS3 B/C as well.

Then theire is the next gen Phone/Portable as well. That will need access to PS3 and PS4 titles as well. Sony could win big if they announce all of your Digital PS3 and PS4 titles will be playable on PS5 and PS5 Phone day one.

What PS5 phone?

Business wise, BC, I think it would be the smart thing to do.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5