By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 worldwide shipments top 94.2 million!

PS4 worldwide shipments top 94.2 million !

""Worldwide total shipments for PlayStation 4 have reached 94.2 million, Sony announced in its financial results for the three months ended December 31, 2018.

A total of 8.1 million PlayStation 4s were shipped during the third quarter, which is down 0.9 million from the same period the previous fiscal year.

Sony’s previous forecast of 17.5 million PlayStation 4s shipped in fiscal year 2018, which runs from April 1, 2018 to March 31, 2019, remains unchanged.

Here are a couple of additional statistics:

• PlayStation Plus subscribers topped 36.3 million as of December 31, 2018, which is up 2.1 million from the previous fiscal year.
  • PlayStation 4 software sold 87.2 million units in the third quarter, which is up 0.7 million from the previous fiscal year. 37 percent of those sales were full game software digital downloads, compared to 28 percent the previous year.""

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network

The PS4 finished top of the world sales for the 5th consecutive year (2014-2015-2016-2017-2018). Long live the king !

Hm .. I find it a little bit odd that less than half of PS4 owners have PS Plus? Is there something I'm reading wrong?

Anyways, great numbers! Can't wait to see what it can do in 2019 and 2020.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Hm .. I find it a little bit odd that less than half of PS4 owners have PS Plus? Is there something I'm reading wrong?

Consider the people that buy more than 1 PS4, or the people that share PS accounts and PS plus. Or bricked consoles that never got replaced. And of course the single player gamers, technically I shouldn't even have PS plus, but I get too much value from the free games.

F2P games like fortnite don't require it. I wonder will it be required on the ps5. 

Around the Network

17-18M is my estimate for 2019. 

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Well PS+ stopped the acceleration of 50-60% of all PS sold... but it is stable enough near 40M sold (or over 2B a year in rev)

Good shipment (just 0.9M bellow YOY), they may even get to 18M shipped without revising forecast.

Right now Sony and Nintendo forecast have only 500k difference and they will probably be quite close at the end of FY.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I’m one of those with a PS4 and No Ps Plus.

And I have like 20-25 games.

Great results. What more interesting is that Playstation in 2018 calendar year generates almost the same amount of revenue as Microsoft's gaming division and Nintendo COMBINED. PSN alone made more than whole Nintendo. That's just insane.

SMOKE said:
Great results. What more interesting is that Playstation in 2018 calendar year generates almost the same amount of revenue as Microsoft's gaming division and Nintendo COMBINED. PSN alone made more than whole Nintendo. That's just insane.

Yep!

Total network services revenue in 2018 was 1373 billion yen, which is around $12.5 billion.

Once again, revenue generated from Sony's Network services (PSN) in 2018 is higher than Nintendo's total revenue for 2018!

https://it.ign.com/ps4/150494/news/sony-incassi-da-record-nel-2018-e-nintendo-continua-a-cresce

Harriet Tubman.