By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation Was The Top Selling Home Console In The World For The 8th Year In A Row!

Intrinsic said:
KingofTrolls said:

It is much easier to make PS4 99 than PS2.

Like 5 times easier.

That is just ridiculous.

PS2

• Disc drive
  • Processor
  • Ram
  • Controller
Thats all that is in a PS2. Memory cards were even sold seperately. Oh and $99 in 2006 is very different from $99 in 2019.
PS4
  •  Disc drive
  • HDD
  • APU
  • Ram
  • A more complex board with support for thins like wifi, ethernet, bluetooth.....etc
  • Fan and heatsink
  • Controller
Any two of those things in that list already puts the PS4 over $60. And you cant have a PS4 without every single one of them. So how the hell are the going to get all that to fit in a $99 box in 2019/2020. The best they can d is probably $149. And even that is a stretch

Also PS2 wasnt even $99 in 2006, April 2006 is when it dropped from $149 to $129. It wasnt until April 2009 that it officially dropped to $99, 8.5 years after launch.

The lowest I ever see PS4 officially getting down to is $199.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
youngbr said:
Random question, but why this site is so biased with Nintendo. It is kind of weird. I see so much elitism in some comments. Maybe because some of you live in rich countries, That is why you will never understand how much respect SONY shows for third world country. Unlike Nintendo that doesn't care because they want money, not players. SONY actually does their best so people can still enjoy games and buy consoles in places like South America. Nintendo is amazing too, of course. But the biasing in this site is disgusting. Playstation consoles are amazing.

Nah, it goes all ways. You cant go into a single Nintendo sales thread and not see constant downplaying.

As for Nintendo and third world countries, alot of that has to do with them being a relatively small company.

Sony is a 100,000+ employee conglomerate vs a 5000 employee gaming company. They simply dont have the global reach of a massive company like Sony.

Glad to find someone here that actually knows how to reply without wanting to start a fight. Your reply explained me a few things, so thank you!

KingofTrolls said:
youngbr said:

PS4 even has a Greatest Hits series only for us with a different name and different games. Like I said, most of you don't understand.

Greetings from Poland :) An European country without official N branch.

I fully understand you, maybe our situation is better but yes, nobody can argue that Sony is the King in ROW. 

Considering all good things Sony brought to gaming businnes overall, I rate this the best.

Glad to see someone who understands!

Intrinsic said:

Any two of those things in that list already puts the PS4 over $60. And you cant have a PS4 without every single one of them. So how the hell are the going to get all that to fit in a $99 box in 2019/2020. The best they can d is probably $149. And even that is a stretch

Because PS4 Super Slim in 7nm, because PS4 was not introducing new dvd player like PS2 does, because PS4 was not over-the-top high end PC from the day1 like PS2 who has first "GPU" in consoles with better pixel fill rate than PS3 RSX and also " bandwith monster ", very powerful CPU - the last MIPS used in consoles, because PS4 architecture and manufacturing is like 10 times simplier, because no 5 different AV outputs like PS2, no IrDA port for  TV pilot. 

If not the huge adoption of DVD, the PS2 will be as much as loss as PS3 early, Sony lost aprox. 188$ per unit early.

This is one side of the things. The other are taxes. Most PS4 are sold in EU,USA, and luckily we have ITA already

Information Technology – the Information Technology Agreement (ITA) –  has recently been signed and is expected to enter into force on July 1, 2016. The ITA eliminates import duties on a wide range of electronic products imported into the EU and other markets (e.g. US, China and Switzerland).

• Video games and consoles

youngbr said:
zorg1000 said:

Nah, it goes all ways. You cant go into a single Nintendo sales thread and not see constant downplaying.

As for Nintendo and third world countries, alot of that has to do with them being a relatively small company.

Sony is a 100,000+ employee conglomerate vs a 5000 employee gaming company. They simply dont have the global reach of a massive company like Sony.

Glad to find someone here that actually knows how to reply without wanting to start a fight.

Interesting, it seemed like you wanted conflict from the jump. Accusing the site of Nintendo bias and accusing Nintendo of just wanting money and not players. Very volatile, but I digress. 

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:
youngbr said:

Glad to find someone here that actually knows how to reply without wanting to start a fight.

Interesting, it seemed like you wanted conflict from the jump. Accusing the site of Nintendo bias and accusing Nintendo of just wanting money and not players. Very volatile, but I digress. 

I still think the same way btw. If you want players, you make effort. If you can't understand how other countries works because you prob. live in a country that buying a game isn't a problem to you. I am sorry, the other person replied way more polite than you and actually understands because he also lives in a country that Nintendo is not active while SONY is.

youngbr said:

Glad to see someone who understands!

Thanks!

youngbr said:
zorg1000 said:

Glad to find someone here that actually knows how to reply without wanting to start a fight. Your reply explained me a few things, so thank you!

No problem, but just a word of advice since you're a new member, saying things like a company only cares about money and not fans is always going to cause a negative reaction from that companies fanbase.

To add to the discussion though, in a recent investor briefing Nintendo has spoken out about trying to increase their brands strength in "other" regions. Here is the quote:

"It is essential that we stay on top of the market situation. I cannot say for certainty how large the market will grow, but we do plan to work on expanding the scale of it. We especially want to expand the business in Asia, the Middle East and Central and South America."

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
youngbr said:

Not the case with Nintendo here in South America after Wii U. Since they never decrease the price of their games. Please, a Nintendo Wii U game here was R$ 250. With SONY, there are often sales and even though games are still expensive, they are affordable. Also, the PS store here always have good sales even in our currency money.

So please, like I said. Some of you don't live here to understand the situation. If you did, you would get it. Not every country can pay a full game price like it was nothing. 

Aren't video games heavily taxed by the government in countries like say Brazil? Has nothing to do with Nintendo seeking huge profits. You also have to remember Sony as a conglomerate is much bigger than Nintendo and can afford losses/smaller profit margins. Sometimes it helps to understand business as well. 

They are heavily taxed. Very interesting development in the last month or two. A new president who models himself on trump with pro business policies has come in and said he wants to change the bad conditions for international companies. If he removes those huge taxes on the international console makers sales could explode. I don't know much about it but what this space. 

PortisheadBiscuit said:
CGI-Quality said:

Was it really that much?

My bad, just did a quick google search and it was $5 billion by 2009. Not sure why I thought $9bn

Was that 5BN loss by the end of the gen? If my memory is correct they reduced the overall loss during the last few years. 

Intrinsic said:
KingofTrolls said:

It is much easier to make PS4 99 than PS2.

Like 5 times easier.

That is just ridiculous.

PS2

• Disc drive
  • Processor
  • Ram
  • Controller
Thats all that is in a PS2. Memory cards were even sold seperately. Oh and $99 in 2006 is very different from $99 in 2019.
PS4
  •  Disc drive
  • HDD
  • APU
  • Ram
  • A more complex board with support for thins like wifi, ethernet, bluetooth.....etc
  • Fan and heatsink
  • Controller

I hope just from a purely sales point of view sony plan to sell the ps4 at $199 and the PS5 at $399. Maybe down the line reduce the ps4 to $149. If they can pull that off the ps4 will sell a shit ton post ps5 launch to people who can't afford the ps5 all over the world. 

This week in South Korea and Taiwan the ps4 had a big temporary promotion and was sold for around $230. There were massive lines queuing up. A WW price of $199 would do huge numbers WW even if the ps5 was out. Especially with the amount of cross gen games we'll get for a few years. 

Kerotan said:

This week in South Korea and Taiwan the ps4 had a big temporary promotion and was sold for around $230. There were massive lines queuing up.

One thing to take note of is that temporary deals will see more explosive sales since people will rush out to get it before the price goes back up then sales crater afterwards.

Permanent price cuts cause a boost too but they are more about creating an increase in baseline sales rather than a one time boost.