By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update on Metroid Prime 4: Development restart. Retro Studios + Tanabe now working on it

Tagged games:

Nogamez said:
So.what has retro been doing last 5 years?

Cancelling their new project.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
Pavolink said:

Btw, what could cause a development reboot? I find that decision pretty drastic.

If it was just graphics, they could focus on it, but this sounds more than that. Bad fundamentals of the game? Engine not working? Full of bugs?

My guess is fundamental design.  Metroid Prime is a very particular kind of beast.  The new dev might have struggled with it, making it too linear, too story driven, too action oriented, or too obtuse.  All these things spring to mind. 

That’s my guess too. Once they analyzed, maybe it was easier to reboot than try to fix it.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

This is good news.

Pavolink said:
Vodacixi said:

I'm pretty sure half of the original Naughty Dog, EAD, Santa Monica or more are not on those studios anymore. That hasn't stopped them from keep making great games of their respective franchises.

As for Retro Atudios capabilites for HD developing... I think is stupid to judge them for a 2D side-scroller. Ithink its also stupid to believe that they haven't adapted to HD in 12 years. Do you really believe that?

I believe on what I can see. And I only see one game.

Also thanks for the stupid part.

You're welcome

Baddman said:
I wonder if this means retro studios has finished their other game that was rumored

They better have done it, otherwise they would have wasted years of development.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Nogamez said:
So.what has retro been doing last 5 years?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-14-leaks-suggest-nintendos-retro-studios-making-star-fox-racing-spin-off

This is bad because we want see MP4 any time soon,
on other hand I am glad because this means game will be better than it would be if they continued with current state of game.

Oh boy! While I was watching the video (I have the Nintendo of America notifications activated on twitter and I saw it from there) and Takahashi said that the development was having a lot of difficulties, I was afraid of the worst and I thought that they were going to announce the cancellation of the game xD

On the positive side, I'm glad to know that they give Metroid Prime 4 the importance it deserves and that they want to be sure that it has the Metroid Prime series standards.

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

h2ohno said:
As Miyamoto said, a delayed game is is eventually good (if the proper effort is put into it), while a rushed game is bad forever.  

Not blaming you specifically, but this quote gets brought up a lot and it's not really true in the day of heavy patches. Of course, it's always preferable to have a game launch in a better state than have to fix it after launch.

Also, Miyamoto's last game was delayed but still pretty ehh :P

Oh WOW, was not expecting to read this when I checked the site today lmao.... so many different thoughts about this

1) People were already wondering about if Metroid Prime 4 was gonna be a 2019 or 2020 title, but now this probably pushes it to 2021 at earliest, maybe even 2022.

2) What on earth could have happened during development or what state was the game in that was so bad that a COMPLETE restart was needed? I know the rumor was that it was Bandai Namco Singapore or whatever but damn

3) The fact that Retro Studios is working on this now leads me to believe that whatever project they have been working on for the past few years (the rumored Star Fox Grand Prix) is finally close to release thus giving them time to do this now so FUCKING SHOW IT TO ME ALREADY pls.

4) Props to Nintendo for making the right call here, even if it means it will be a few more years longer now before it's released, but it should be worth it in the end. Insert Miyamoto delayed game quote here.