By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update on Metroid Prime 4: Development restart. Retro Studios + Tanabe now working on it

Tagged games:

Wow! What a formal way to say it. Dont really care about the franchise...... :p But the fact they made a video in a formal way is very kind to see!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

As Miyamoto said, a delayed game is is eventually good (if the proper effort is put into it), while a rushed game is bad forever. Retro's staff may be different from what it was last decade, but they proved they've still got it with their Donkey Kong games and have already shown they can handle HD development with Tropical Freeze. Nintendo doing their utmost to ensure quality control is a good thing overall. If they're that unhappy with what was being done that they wanted to switch studios then I think they made the right decision. This does raise the question, however, of why this studio was given the job and not Retro if they couldn't handle it.

Pavolink said:
Vodacixi said:
This are actually pretty good news to me.

When I knew that Metroid Prime 4 was in development and that Retro Studios was not the studio behind it, I had many concearns about the project. I wondered if Nintendo was actually aware of the importance of the Metroid Prime series for Nintendo fans. Metroid Prime is significant for us for many reasons. First, is the most "adult" and different game that Nintendo tends to offer. Second, the whole trilogy is regarded as some of the best games PERIOD. And third, Metroid Prime is expected to squeeze the console it's in, offering some of the best graphics on the system.

As such, I was not sure if Nintendo, along with whathever studios was developing MP4, were making "just another game". I hope you understand what I mean.

By making a difficult decision like this... restarting the developing and giving the project to both the original producer and studio that made the original trilogy... Nintendo has convinced me that they know how importan Metroid Prime 4 is and that they understand how great the game has to be for us.

So... I'm sad that we have to wait maybe years to even see some gameplay. But in the end I think it is for the best and I believe we'll end up benefiting from this decision.

The original staff the developed Metroid Prime is not anymore at Retro. On top of that, their experience with HD is an unimpressive DK game so far, or at least released since 2010. This does not guarantee that they are going to squeeze the Switch’s power.

I'm pretty sure half of the original Naughty Dog, EAD, Santa Monica or more are not on those studios anymore. That hasn't stopped them from keep making great games of their respective franchises.

As for Retro Atudios capabilites for HD developing... I think is stupid to judge them for a 2D side-scroller. Ithink its also stupid to believe that they haven't adapted to HD in 12 years. Do you really believe that?

Well this is certainly interesting. But this was a risk they took with the early announcement. They basically came out and stated Prime 4 was only just started when they announced it and it was mainly done to silence any concerns that Metroid was only getting love on 3DS. A move I don't necessarily think was needed mind.

Good news for them is Retro being moved onto the project will get a lot of positive vibes either way since a lot of people were very nervous about the game.

Props for the transparency though. Many companies would have just quietly kicked the can down the road without a word. But the timing of this is...interesting. Very odd choice.

Vodacixi said:
Pavolink said:

The original staff the developed Metroid Prime is not anymore at Retro. On top of that, their experience with HD is an unimpressive DK game so far, or at least released since 2010. This does not guarantee that they are going to squeeze the Switch’s power.

I'm pretty sure half of the original Naughty Dog, EAD, Santa Monica or more are not on those studios anymore. That hasn't stopped them from keep making great games of their respective franchises.

As for Retro Atudios capabilites for HD developing... I think is stupid to judge them for a 2D side-scroller. Ithink its also stupid to believe that they haven't adapted to HD in 12 years. Do you really believe that?

I believe on what I can see. And I only see one game.

Also thanks for the stupid part.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Pavolink said:

Btw, what could cause a development reboot? I find that decision pretty drastic.

If it was just graphics, they could focus on it, but this sounds more than that. Bad fundamentals of the game? Engine not working? Full of bugs?

My guess is fundamental design.  Metroid Prime is a very particular kind of beast.  The new dev might have struggled with it, making it too linear, too story driven, too action oriented, or too obtuse.  All these things spring to mind. 

I wonder if this means retro studios has finished their other game that was rumored

Marth said:
morenoingrato said:
This is not something I was expecting to see.
Who was developing this game initially?

Bandai Namco

Rumoured but not confirmed.

So.what has retro been doing last 5 years?

I'm ok with the wait but would be nice if they released the trilogy to the NS beforehand to ease the waiting period.