By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December NPD 2018 thread

zorg1000 said:
colafitte said:
So in the end Smash generated more dollars in sales than Spiderman, GOW, FC5 (because NPD doesn't track units sales nor bundles). I did not expect that. Sometimes i can't figure out how NPD software is going to be....It's a lost cause.

I guess Spiderman and FC5 (and probably GOW too) probably sold more units, but with how NPD works we can't know for sure....

USA loves Nintendo and their games, that's for certain.

Smash had a bundle as well and isnt including digital so really no reason to assume those games outsold it.

Yes, you are probably right. But that's the thing, i can't prove i'm right or wrong because of how NPD works. I wish NPD worked like Japan or UK.....

But in my opinion, Smash probably is above 4M if we count everything and if we count bundles and games sold at lower prices, i'm pretty sure games like FC5, Spiderman and even GOW must be around 3'5-4M or even more in USA alone too.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Really good month for the Switch.
The XBO and PS4 numbers aren't that great but it's to be expected since it's their 5th year.

Looking from the predictions. I dont think a lot of people expected these numbers. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

PotentHerbs said:

Good for Nintendo that NS had the best month for hardware since 2010. They have destroyed expectations coming into this generation.

Lets not pretend it didn't under perform compared to predictions.

It was because of 1 famous person on the internet that said Switch would reach 2mil. Lots of people believed in him. 

If it wasnt because of that people's expectations would be somewhere around 2mil ( a bit more or a bit less)

And it was also the rumor about Switch outselling PS4 and Xbox One combined. People didnt expect PS4 and X1 numbers to be this low. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

p0isonparadise said:
Smash was #1 for the month and sold 3,592,000 at retail. Largest opening for an exclusive.

Wow! That is Amazing! Seems like Nintendo broke soooo many records in this december! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

So.....PS4 won almost every month of the year in NPD but for Switch it was enough to win December to be the best selling console of the year in the USA. Once again "el que ríe de último ríe mejor". Thanks to Sakurai for that gift from the gods called Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

Around the Network

Great numbers for Switch, the utter domination though it would have been epic if it reached 2 million.

p0isonparadise said: 
Smash was #1 for the month and sold 3,592,000 at retail. Largest opening for an exclusive.

The power that that has.

p0isonparadise said:
Switch generated the highest December-month hardware dollar sales for a single platform since the Nintendo Wii in December 2009.

Oh wow oh wow. It-prints-money.gif

peachbuggy said:
TheWPCTraveler said:

Wait a moment, did you read this off his post that he'd basically try and hide from Twtr and Era flaming if Switch sales were below 2 million?

It's pretty funny tbh

I should have quoted someone before. I saw the post and it was plain he was making a joke.

hehehe, the funny thing is that everybody was really quick to believe in him when he was implying that it would do more than 2m, but when he said it might do less then almost everybody took it as a joke :P

zorg1000 said:

What is your definition of a major release?

AAA game. Popular....etc.

Colocho said:

Does it  even matter??    It is still a HUGE accomplishment regardless! 🤷‍♂️    

Never said its not a HUGE accomplishment. Just saying or suggesting that it wouldn`t have been s easy if there were more games on the platform competing for those sales.

1. Smash (2018 game)#1
  2. Mario party (2018 game)#15
  3. MK8 deluxe (2017 game)#23
  4. SMO (2017 game)#24
  5. Pkemon lets go (2018 game)#25
  6. Zelda (2017 game)#30
Thats amazons top selling games for 2018..... There is a reason why half of the top selling games on the NS are from 2017. And chances are this year at least one or two of those games will make the top 6 again. Not saying this is a bad thing........ 

Also, just occurred to me. The Smash bundle was a November product. So for those saying Smash moved less than Pokemon because of how strong November was, do keep in mind that on top of having Cyber Monday in the Nov tracking period, November also benefited from Smash as well in a real way.

Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

What is your definition of a major release?

AAA game. Popular....etc.

Colocho said:

Does it  even matter??    It is still a HUGE accomplishment regardless! 🤷‍♂️    

Never said its not a HUGE accomplishment. Just saying or suggesting that it wouldn`t have been s easy if there were more games on the platform competing for those sales.

1. Smash (2018 game)#1
  2. Mario party (2018 game)#15
  3. MK8 deluxe (2017 game)#23
  4. SMO (2017 game)#24
  5. Pkemon lets go (2018 game)#25
  6. Zelda (2017 game)#30
Thats amazons top selling games for 2018..... There is a reason why half of the top selling games on the NS are from 2017. And chances are this year at least one or two of those games will make the top 6 again. Not saying this is a bad thing........ 

Number of releases has such an insignificant affect on a games sales. Big releases cause a domino affect and make sales stronger, not the other way around. Switch could have gotten twice as many big releases and there would be no notable difference in Smash sales.

Those 2017 games didnt top the charts because of lack of games, it's because they are super popular titles. GTAV is one of the biggest games on PS4/XBO each and every year, that's not because of lack of competition, it's because people really really want the game.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.