By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch sold faster than Wii in Japan after 97 weeks.

twintail said:
Comparing to the Wii, a console only experience, seems kind of useless.
Surely sales speed against DS or 3DS are far interesting, and more accurate, indicators?

I mean all comparisons are great, but comparing it to handhelds in JPN seems better

When comparing lifetime yes, those will be better comparisons but Wii came out like a hurricane and built up a nice lead over Switch.

~18 months after launch

Wii-6.14m

NSW-4.97m

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
PAOerfulone said:
The Switch should pass the Wii be around Q2-Q3 2020.

So you only expect Switch to do around 3 million this year? 

I expect it to do around 4.5 million this year, which will bring it to 11.5 million by the end of 2019. From there, it will have to sell just another 1.3 million to pass the Wii, which I figure should happen somewhere between April and September 2020.

I think this year will further add to the outpacing tbh as both modern Fire Emblem and AC games have a much more impact in Japan now days than back then and Gen 8 Pokemon is something the Wii doesn't really have an answer for and this is before we get to the likes of Yokai and DQXI.

Shadow1980 said:

You guys totally wouldn't have guessed this, but I have a relevant chart for this comparison:

The Wii sold 2,862,818 units in 2008 vs. 3,534,165 units for the Switch in 2018. Most of that surplus was in the second half of the year, though, as we can see from the crisscrossing lines for Year 2. The Wii was very front-loaded in Japan.

Nice thank you ! but it is a shame that there is a little difference between the 2 red colours...We can still see the difference between the 2 curves.