By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bungie splits with Activision, keeps Destiny IP

This can only be good news.

Around the Network
twintail said:
mjk45 said:

It's is one likely scenario behind Activision deciding to sell the IP to bungie , the other  scenario being when they came up with the ten year plan there may have been a clause where it came back to Bungie at the end of the ten year contract if there wasn't a renewal of contract , this would tie in with activision selling now ,  not wanting to renew contract due to gaming climate and  Destiny had made them good money but  was now past its peak so rather than wait for the  IP to revert to Bungie make an early sale.

Activision hasnt sold anything cause the IP was never theirs. The IP always belonged to Bungie. Activison only ever had publishing rights. Now they dont.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/bungie-signs-10-year-activision-deal

Oh well its not the first time I've made an idiot of myself, The headline of Bungie splits with Activision Keeps Destiny IP made me assume that that The IP rights were  part of the settlement . I'm not going to escape by claiming it was just a scenario am I ?

Still if I redacted IP and replaced it with publishing rights would that make sense ?.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 10 January 2019

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Interesting. Software output has become very slow from the Activision side of Activision-Blizzard over the last couple years.

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Destiny 2
Call of Duty: WWII

Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Destiny 2: Forsaken
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII

The last two years have followed a three pillar approach, Crash/Spyro remakes, COD & Destiny. I wonder what they will do to fill the void left by Destiny. I know they are publishing Sekiro but I dont see that being nearly as successful as Destiny, maybe they will start publishing more medium sized games again instead of focusing on a few mega hits?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

mjk45 said:
LurkerJ said:

It's easy to blame Activision for the bad reception TWO, not one, Bungie games have received. It's not like their union was forced upon Bungie.

I want to know just how big Destiny of an IP is at the moment, with the game being given for free just months ago and the rise of Fortnite-like games, it doesn't look like the IP is standing on solid grounds.

It's is one likely scenario behind Activision deciding to sell the IP to bungie , the other  scenario being when they came up with the ten year plan there may have been a clause where it came back to Bungie at the end of the ten year contract if there wasn't a renewal of contract , this would tie in with activision selling now ,  not wanting to renew contract due to gaming climate and  Destiny had made them good money but  was now past its peak so rather than wait for the  IP to revert to Bungie make an early sale.

Disregard this I wrongly assumed from the heading that Activision owned the Destiny IP and it was part of the settlement.

Ka-pi96 said:
dx11332sega said:

Microsoft pockets are very deep and provide freedom I hope bungie makes an exclusive deal with them activision pockets are 2nd behind microsoft me thinks I don't know any other that comes close to that?

Not a chance of that ever happening.

They abandoned the Halo IP in order to get away from MS, they certainly ain't gonna go back!

We see how devs are getting on under Sony. Maybe they'll try them for a game or two and develop for pc/ps4. Kojima seems happy enough in that same situation.

Online FPS is one area sony could do with ticking a box. Destiny in 2014 moved a both load of ps4 but it was also on xbox. Imagine what a launch exclusive on ps5 would do. 

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Interesting. Software output has become very slow from the Activision side of Activision-Blizzard over the last couple years.

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Destiny 2
Call of Duty: WWII

Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Destiny 2: Forsaken
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII

The last two years have followed a three pillar approach, Crash/Spyro remakes, COD & Destiny. I wonder what they will do to fill the void left by Destiny. I know they are publishing Sekiro but I dont see that being nearly as successful as Destiny, maybe they will start publishing more medium sized games again instead of focusing on a few mega hits?

I guess they don't really care. Looks like COD is enough for them while it is still the best selling game every year. Crash and Spyro also were major hits so probably they don't really have to worry about their software output.

derpysquirtle64 said:
Shadow1980 said:
Okay. Good. Now drop the MMO elements and make the story mode a proper single-player offline FPS experience with a definite beginning, middle, and end (co-op and RPG elements are fine, but none of that farming shit). Without Activision's grubby little paws on Bungie there's no excuse for Bungie to do any of the bullshit that's forced into AAA games these days by the likes of Acti and the other majors.

I have some doubts that Bungie would even have sided with Activision in the first place if the MMO elements were forced on them. So, this is exactly what they wanted the game to be initially.

Exactly. Where is the preconceived notion that Bungie didn't make that they originally set out to make coming from? Not mention, those MMO elements are hardly the game's biggest problem. 

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 10 January 2019

twintail said:
mjk45 said:

Oh well its not the first time I've made an idiot of myself, The headline of Bungie splits with Activision Keeps Destiny IP made me assume that that The IP rights were  part of the settlement . I'm not going to escape by claiming it was just a scenario am I ?

Still if I redacted IP and replaced it with publishing rights would that make sense ?.

No no, the news makes it seem like Bungie got the IP rights back, so its not your fault per se. I just saw your comment and thought to reply to it with the info. Sure, I think publishing rights makes more sense.

That was good of you to set the record straight ,nothing worse than seeing misinformation especially if it is believed and spreads.

Activision isn't making as much with Destiny as they were and expected. They said so in one of their recent reports concerning Destiny 2 and it's dlc packs. It's bizarre to see the once God King of the gaming industry bleed but Activision/Blizzard isn't looking so great right now (granted Modern Warfare 4 is fast approaching).

As for Bungie's future, I'd love to see them go back to Halo or develop a new IP for Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo. I think the latter is the least likely and as for preference of the first two, it'll come down to money and amount of freedom is my guess, but either is highly likely.

The problem with them being entirely independent, as has been brought up before by a few members is they need a massive amount of funding unless they're about to downsize. Only options I see there are one of the big three consoles, Bethesda (which would be awful unless they go the Doom route) or EA.

If Bungie chooses EA, their demise is not only certain but deserved. I've lost count of how many devs they've murdered, plus I'm not even certain if EA will exist years from now outside of annual FIFA and Madden releases.

StriderKiwi said:
Activision isn't making as much with Destiny as they were and expected. They said so in one of their recent reports concerning Destiny 2 and it's dlc packs. It's bizarre to see the once God King of the gaming industry bleed but Activision/Blizzard isn't looking so great right now (granted Modern Warfare 4 is fast approaching).

As for Bungie's future, I'd love to see them go back to Halo or develop a new IP for Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo. I think the latter is the least likely and as for preference of the first two, it'll come down to money and amount of freedom is my guess, but either is highly likely.

The problem with them being entirely independent, as has been brought up before by a few members is they need a massive amount of funding unless they're about to downsize. Only options I see there are one of the big three consoles, Bethesda (which would be awful unless they go the Doom route) or EA.

If Bungie chooses EA, their demise is not only certain but deserved. I've lost count of how many devs they've murdered, plus I'm not even certain if EA will exist years from now outside of annual FIFA and Madden releases.

I am aware that Bungie x Nintendo is very unlikely, I just find the image of the reaction to such a exclusivity deal to be absolutely delicious. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?