By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SIE to acquire Audiokinetic, makers of Wwise

https://www.dualshockers.com/sony-interactive-entertainment-acquires-audiokinetic-wwise/

I checked to see if this was posted. Surprised it hadn't been yet. On January 31st Sony will own Audiokinetic, the company that makes the middleware sound optimization program Wwise. A tool used in over 500 games just last year. You've likely seen this logo on certain games before and never thought anything of it. Though it sounds like Sony has no intention of making such a tool exclusive to them. Allowing it to be used on other games for other platforms.

Around the Network

Yeah Wwise is industry standard, like Speedtree.

"..will now be directly lending its audio engineering skills to Sony Interactive Entertainment’s games while also receiving more funding to innovate and create new sound based technology."

Sound can be just as important as image quality to a game, so this is good news, if in future it means things will get even better in that reguard.

I think I heard this new before and also remember seeing their logo in some games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Very good news

Around the Network

Interesting. XB acquires studios and makes them exclusive to MS platforms, while SIE acquires middleware and allows the competition to use it. Is next gen going to partially flip where MS is the brand who is all about exclusivity and PS is about making money by other means, like profiting from any games on any platform that utilize SIE owned software?

twintail said:
EricHiggin said:

Interesting. XB acquires studios and makes them exclusive to MS platforms, while SIE acquires middleware and allows the competition to use it. Is next gen going to partially flip where MS is the brand who is all about exclusivity and PS is about making money by other means, like profiting from any games on any platform that utilize SIE owned software?

MS owns Havok which is most definitely not exclusive to their platform.

And Minecraft game-wise

Very cool, although I never take notice of it until now. It looks like a lot of platform uses this software like Android, IOS, Linux, macOS, Nintendo3DS, more.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
twintail said:
EricHiggin said:

MS owns Havok which is most definitely not exclusive to their platform.

That's basically my point. That's not common knowledge, but PS4 exclusive AAA titles are. So next gen, while PS5 will still follow suit, will it be MS first party titles that become well known and praised, while PS is more quiet while making money behind the scenes like MS is now?

twintail said:
EricHiggin said:

That's basically my point. That's not common knowledge, but PS4 exclusive AAA titles are. So next gen, while PS5 will still follow suit, will it be MS first party titles that become well known and praised, while PS is more quiet while making money behind the scenes like MS is now?

I would say at the time it was. It just didn't have any meaningful effects on anything in the long run for ppl to care.

There is no reversal taking place, this acquisition for Sony will definitely aid them in their own games in the audio department, even though it will be available for anyone to use, which in turn is only going to strengthen their 1st party presence. If Sony doesn't leverage this then no one is going to care about this in a few years time either. I would wager that most ppl dont care about middleware acquisitions.

So it seems like we are in agreement then.