By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - UK: Switch physical game sales up 90.1% in 2018 compared to 2017, hardware rose 20%

New data has arrived from the UK based on sales generated in 2018.

The system’s software sales were up 90.1% year-over-year and revenue rose by 73.4%. Switch was the only platform with increased software sales compared to the previous year.

Switch accounted for 24% of all games sold in the UK at retail last year, compared to PS4 at 42.2% and Xbox One at 30.5%. 3DS was at 2.1%, PC at 0.7%, Wii at 0.2%, and Xbox 360 at 0.2%.

Switch also saw an increase in hardware sales. The console saw an increase of 20% year-over-year. Overall, there were nearly 2.5 million machines sold in the UK in 2018 across all platforms.

https://nintendoeverything.com/uk-switch-physical-game-sales-up-90-1-in-2018-compared-to-2017-hardware-rose-20/

Expected, but impressive in any case.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 02 January 2019

Around the Network

What seems to be weakest market for the switch, seems to be growing for the switch, wonder if that continues for 2019 for the UK.

So switch isnt yet outselling the xbox when it comes to software in the UK.
Im surprised by it beating the xbox in hardware sales too there.

JRPGfan said:

Well XB1 still has few times bigger install base than Switch in UK, but actualy point that despite that Switch took 24% while XB1 took 30.5% of all games sold in the UK at retail last year is very impressive for Switch.

The Wii sold 0.2% of software yet the Wii U software sales are nowhere to be found? What madness is this? I bet out of the 0.2% Just Dance sold 0.195% of the software.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network

Really great news!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

JRPGfan said:

If you look to the last ten weeks reported on vgchartz you will find plenty of weeks with xone software selling more world wide even when digital sales are probably higher and a group of gamers use gamepass.  Guess 2019 will be better for switch but the first three months of the year will be difficult.