By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Dreams Global Game Jam Stream At 5pm GMT Today!

GribbleGrunger said:
I'm pretty chuffed. I've just finished my first proper sculpture and it looks great! A spiral staircase.

What are the limits of development with dreams ?

Can that limit be compared to some recent ps4 games and what is the maximum data usage for one game?

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:
GribbleGrunger said:
I'm pretty chuffed. I've just finished my first proper sculpture and it looks great! A spiral staircase.

What are the limits of development with dreams ?

Can that limit be compared to some recent ps4 games and what is the maximum data usage for one game?

I couldn't answer any of these. It's going to take ages to find the limits of Dreams. Just like any other development tool, some people will use to badly, some people will use it wisely, and some people will take it well beyond what it was meant to do. 

The PS5 Exists. 

Bristow9091 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Fancy being a rebel and posting a cheeky screenshot of your sculpt? :P

What are you using to sculpt things, dualshock or move controllers? Seems like on every stream they use move controllers or a dualshock with the camera, just wondering what it's like making something purely with the dualshock. 

I'm using Dualshock. It makes it slightly harder because you can't push in physically to get a sense of space and, because there are two MOVES, you can do two things at once. I'm getting there though. 

I've tried PMing you but it's not showing up in my messages. 

Last edited by GribbleGrunger - on 05 January 2019

The PS5 Exists. 

Bristow9091 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I'm using Dualshock. It makes it slightly harder because you can't push in physically to get a sense of space and, because there are two MOVES, you can do two things at once. I'm getting there though. 

I've tried PMing you but it's not showing up in my messages. 

Well the important thing is you tried :P

On a scale of 1-10 how easy/hard would you say it is to make something with just the dualshock? Dreams is actually the game that is tempting me to pick up two move controllers and a camera, lol, but I'll be giving it a try with the dualshock first to see how I get on anyway.

Send me a message and I'll send you something ...

It's HARD ... Really HARD, but it gets easier as time passes and you become accustom to the little idiosyncrasies. I was flitting from one discipline to another to begin with and overwhelmed myself. I'm now concentrating on sculpting only and things are coming together. Quick tip if you get in the beta: Always, ALWAYS start a new sculpt for each element of the complete sculpt. For instance, if you make a chair, make the legs as one sculpt, the seat as a second sculpt and the back rest as another. You'll understand why when it comes to finessing your finished item with effects, paint and material finishes.

There are many ways of painting alone. You can go into the material itself and change colour and tint, you can go into sculpting and use a brush (with shape) to add paint where you want it, or you can go into assembly and use the paint tool to change the colour of ONE set of sculpts. That's why separate sculpts are imperative. Providing you make each element a separate sculpt, you can scope into backrest of your chair and then hit the visible button. This makes everything disappear except your backrest and so painting is then a doddle.It's kind of the masking tape of Dreams. 

There's lots of things I haven't used yet, like 'freeze'. When you use this, all elements you've frozen can no longer be accidentally moved when you are re-positioning something nearby. Great for finicky things ... Should have used it on my spiral staircase!

The PS5 Exists. 

Bristow9091 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Send me a message and I'll send you something ...

It's HARD ... Really HARD, but it gets easier as time passes and you become accustom to the little idiosyncrasies. I was flitting from one discipline to another to begin with and overwhelmed myself. I'm now concentrating on sculpting only and things are coming together. Quick tip if you get in the beta: Always, ALWAYS start a new sculpt for each element of the complete sculpt. For instance, if you make a chair, make the legs as one sculpt, the seat as a second sculpt and the back rest as another. You'll understand why when it comes to finessing your finished item with effects, paint and material finishes.

There are many ways of painting alone. You can go into the material itself and change colour and tint, you can go into sculpting and use a brush (with shape) to add paint where you want it, or you can go into assembly and use the paint tool to change the colour of ONE set of sculpts. That's why separate sculpts are imperative. Providing you make each element a separate sculpt, you can scope into backrest of your chair and then hit the visible button. This makes everything disappear except your backrest and so painting is then a doddle.It's kind of the masking tape of Dreams. 

There's lots of things I haven't used yet, like 'freeze'. When you use this, all elements you've frozen can no longer be accidentally moved when you are re-positioning something nearby. Great for finicky things ... Should have used it on my spiral staircase!

I just sent you a message but it hasn't appeared in my "Sent" tab... weird. o.O

Let me know when it's working.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
twintail said:
So I finally got around to watching the stream from the beta. The video is both a really good glimpse into what the game offers and yet also just another example of the poor marketing this game has received.
I honestly believe that after the next beta invites that another stream like this takes place, but rather being a media molecule stream on twitch, its an actual Playstation directed live video. Like a Playstation Direct of sorts. This was the video will actually be advertised more, and more ppl will see it since it will be uploaded to Playstation channels and not only just MMs page.

But again, the video was great. Some cool stuff has been made and honestly, Dreams could be a fantastic game for ppl who aren't interested in creating but rather just playing.

Marketing wise they should put the focus more on already finished games and show how much variety can come out of dreams firstly and then just show a small creation part because people that really like the creative aspect of the game are most likely those that watch the streams and absorb all info they can find .

They could market it with a selfmade battle royale and other recent trends.

twintail said:
So I finally got around to watching the stream from the beta. The video is both a really good glimpse into what the game offers and yet also just another example of the poor marketing this game has received.
I honestly believe that after the next beta invites that another stream like this takes place, but rather being a media molecule stream on twitch, its an actual Playstation directed live video. Like a Playstation Direct of sorts. This was the video will actually be advertised more, and more ppl will see it since it will be uploaded to Playstation channels and not only just MMs page.

But again, the video was great. Some cool stuff has been made and honestly, Dreams could be a fantastic game for ppl who aren't interested in creating but rather just playing.

Is that link actually listed anywhere in this thread? Would be interested in watching it. 

pitzy272 said:
twintail said:

Is that link actually listed anywhere in this thread? Would be interested in watching it. 

It's available on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/358773982

Just in case Twitch doesn't work well with your PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3icz4__H2vU

The PS5 Exists. 

A few pics from the stream:

The PS5 Exists.