By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do Nintendo's new Switch IPs get called "failures"?

flashfire926 said:
Shiken said:

1,2 Switch was a failure. Had it not been a launch title, it would not have sold like it did.

From what angle? It's still outselling Arms, yet it probably has a much lower budget put into it than ARMS or any other Nintendo made game. 

Bottom line is, it WAS a launch title, and did well because of that. No ifs and buts

Dont get me wrong, I dont want the game to do well myself, but its more successful than ARMS lets face it.

True, all I am saying is that an ARMs 2 would do way better than a...1,2,...3? Switch.

I guess my point is that ARMs is a good game and sold well and 1,2 Switch is a bad game that only sold well due to it being a launch title.

But you are correct, from a pure sales perspective 1,2 Switch is a success.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Shiken said:
flashfire926 said:

From what angle? It's still outselling Arms, yet it probably has a much lower budget put into it than ARMS or any other Nintendo made game. 

Bottom line is, it WAS a launch title, and did well because of that. No ifs and buts

Dont get me wrong, I dont want the game to do well myself, but its more successful than ARMS lets face it.

True, all I am saying is that an ARMs 2 would do way better than a...1,2,...3? Switch.

I guess my point is that ARMs is a good game and sold well and 1,2 Switch is a bad game that only sold well due to it being a launch title.

But you are correct, from a pure sales perspective 1,2 Switch is a success.

Well true, if you look at its potential to continue as a series, its probably squandered and not as many people will buy it the second time around, whereas they will give a chance to ARMS 2. That way of looking at it makes sense too. In that sense, it can count as a failure.

Though for what the game is (a glorified tech demo for switch, albeit a lazy and rushed one), it did well as a standalone title.

It would be the situation that Watchdogs found it self in: 1st game sold gangbusters, but people were burned on final game, so the second time around with watchdogs 2 people stayed away, even if the game was legitimately very good. 

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Nogamez said:
I think its mainly because all their New IP's just look a litte odd and niche. Splats a great success but yeah cant really see Arms and 1 2 Switch getting sequels. Even if they did sell moderately well.

I think it's a good thing though.
...Remember games like Mario Kart and Smash were all "risks" once upon a time and ended up becoming console selling franchises.

Gotta' keep testing the waters and if something takes hold and becomes big, then all the power to Nintendo.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Not every new IP will succeed. I mean, The Order: 1886 and Ryse: Son of Rome are examples as such.

1-2 Switch is a sales success, despite a rather mediocre critical performance. And, interestingly, it's still selling pretty well. Guess it goes to show, regardless of quality, the game is appealing to new Switch owners, who are not all hardcore gamers for what we like to believe. If it's appealing to these people, then so be it. Nothing wrong with that. What makes gaming cool is that there are a variety of audiences you can reach out to with various tastes.

ARMS is a sales success and had a decent critical performance. 2+ million copies is nothing to scoff at. Is it the next Splatoon? No. But I would have to believe Kosuke Yabuki, who directed Mario Kart 8, is pleased regardless and, hopefully, this will encourage him and Nintendo to experiment in other new ideas to create new IPs. Hopefully, they can build upon ARMS and expand upon the characters' and their personalities.

Nintendo Labo is an interesting case as there has not been a product that is similar to it. Developed by Tsubasa Sakaguchi, one of the co-directors of Splatoon, Kouichi Kawamoto, who developed games like 1-2 Switch, Brain Age, WarioWare, and Miitopia, and Yoshiyasu Ogasawara, it revolves around Nintendo's toy-making mentality and history, using cardboard products and apply them in a gaming environment. Is it a sales success? Hard to tell as it shipped around 1 million from what we last heard about it's sales status (prior to the third kit releasing), but some were expecting it to drive Switch sales while we were waiting for Smash, Pokemon, and Mario Party. On that end, it didn't do the job. Regardless, Labo is an intriguing product and I hope Nintendo does not stop being creative in gaming.

Arms did absolutely fine...
If we hold Splatoon as some sort of standard for success for new IP's then most IP's are failures...
The fact that the Arms comic is finally getting published starting next month is a strong indication that Nintendo isn't ready for it to disappear just yet...

Have a nice day...

Around the Network

I think the bottom line is people can't really call the likes of Arms or 1, 2 Switch failures when they've sold over 2m units and counting while franchises like Metroid and Xenoblade are averaging 1.5m and are seen as successes.

KLXVER said:
Ka-pi96 said:

That's not really accurate though. Some of the people there are obviously a lot more talented than others. Would you really want them giving BOTW or Odyssey like budgets to the new trainees or whatever they had working on those other games? So in reality it's probably smaller things like Arms, 1-2 Switch etc, or a huge expensive flop because they gave too much money to their B team.

Well Retro was new when they made Metroid Prime. Nintendo has many great veterans that can oversee projects.

Not just that, but generally a not so good talent is paired with a veteran as a mentor o team them to get better. A great young talent, is probably given some freedom to come up with some qwerky new IP idea to see if Nintendo like it or not and at times they may release it to the market to see if some untapped market will buy it. 

Pemalite said:
Nogamez said:
I think its mainly because all their New IP's just look a litte odd and niche. Splats a great success but yeah cant really see Arms and 1 2 Switch getting sequels. Even if they did sell moderately well.

I think it's a good thing though.
...Remember games like Mario Kart and Smash were all "risks" once upon a time and ended up becoming console selling franchises.

Gotta' keep testing the waters and if something takes hold and becomes big, then all the power to Nintendo.

Testing the waters is all it is. People shouldn't be afraid to call those tests failures compared to Nintendo's usual franchises.

Hell even within franchises, people have called certain Zelda's failures because well they didn't do as well as others in terms of content or something that didn't work quite well, which meant It wasn't up to the magical standard the set with some Zelda games. Next Zelda game has a lot to live up to. It could sell well, but still be considered a failure if it misses the mark.

vivster said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

Just look at this forum alone. I made an ARMS topic a while back, and 90% of the posts made were about the game being a supposed failure, and that Nintendo should move on from it or farm out a sequel to a third party so they can focus more on the safe AAA franchises. It didn't matter that the game did 2 million copies worldwide, the fact that it didn't reach the highs of Splatoon 2 or Mario Odyssey was enough for people to write the game off. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/dev2016/thread.php?id=237192&page=1

Anytime Nintendo introduces a new Switch IP and it does immediately do 5 million in a year, then it's deemed a bomb and a total failure by Nintendo fans, Even if Nintendo considers 2 million a success. How many "Failures" is it going to take Nintendo to get it through these people's heads?

The curse of success I guess?

All I can see is people saying that the new IPs failed to have the big impact its predecessors had. Nothing wrong with that. If your regular high class IPs sell upwards of 5 million and even breach 10m then an IP that sold 2m and definitely has no widespread appeal and will certainly not build a legacy then that IP certainly failed at being the next big IP of Nintendo.

I'm not actually sure what you're even trying to defend against here. Nintendo made a new IP, it didn't reach the heights of old IPs or even Splatoon and people noticed. An original IP of Nintendo is a big deal and of course it's gonna be measured against other Nintendo IPs.

If you feel the need to defend a game, doesn't that mean it already failed to speak with its own success?

As far as I know, not a single Fire Emblem game has hit even 3 million, yet they release spinoffs, remakes and new games as if it was a "high class IP". 

1doesnotsimply

I don't think developing games anticipating that they will sell 5 or 10 million copies is a sustainable business model, as we have learned with the number of studios that have closed in the last several years...
I think any model that requires such sales will result in a serious drain in innovation...

Have a nice day...