By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
NightlyPoe said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Removing the Backstop would automatically lead to a hard border in Ireland anyway. The Backstop was the British solution to avoid a hard border there, so removing it without replacing it with something else doesn't solve the problem at all, it ensures the problem.

That's simply incorrect.  The backstop doesn't come into effect until 2021 at the earliest in the case of future negotiations faltering.  Strip it out of May's deal and nothing changes in the immediate future while the two sides continue negotiating the broader agreement during the transition period.

There's no "automatic" hard border.  Neither side even wants a hard border.  And all Britain is asking for is an expiration date on the backstop so they won't be permanently entangled.  In the end, that's a bare minimum for a country to demand in any negotiations.  It's basic sovereignty.

The backstop is ONLY incase the UK doesnt get a solution done for the borders.
Once a solution is made viable, it wont be in effect anymore.

So the backstop is a "incase the UK screws up, this thing goes into effect until they fix it" type of solution that the EU requires.

Why would there need to be a "deadline" on such a thing? Just dont mess up in the first place and it ll never really be a issue.

Its like the UK wont accept a deal, where the EU goes "if you cant do as you promis, we ll have to take action".
Just keep your promises? Its basically a non issue, if the UK wasnt run by monkeys.

However why should the EU just blindly trust the UK?
Look at the mess they are makeing of brexit, they seem boarderline incompetent.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
RolStoppable said:

If things get worse due to exiting the EU, those people will eventually have nothing to eat anymore. They will die. Once they are all dead, it isn't a problem anymore.

I think the medicines shortages would get to people before the food shortages.

I heard one leave voter say he'd happily eat grass if he had to...

That could lead to a new species of humans who coould develop more stomaches. That's not if he dies before passing on his genes.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

NightlyPoe said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

That's where you got it all wrong.

The reason it would only come into effect in 2021 is that during the transition period the UK would effectively still be in the customs union, hence no need for the backstop until then. Without the transition period the backstop would have come into effect the moment the UK would leave the EU with a deal.

Umm, no.  That's where I was completely correct from the beginning.  I said if the UK sends back an agreement in which they aren't permanently locked in, then they could continue negotiating for the next few years instead of facing a hard border in a few weeks.

You decided to throw a meme at me and tell me the hard border was automatic without the backstop, instead of something to be negotiated later, demonstrating that you didn't understand what it was.

I then correctly define what it means, and then you repeat what I said and tell me that I'm wrong.

Nobody wants a hard border? I heard that one before:

"Niemand hat die Absicht eine Mauer zu errichten!" (Translation: Nobody wants to erect a wall!) GDR State Council Walter Ulbricht, June 15 1961, weeks before the Berlin wall started to be built.

I'm sure comparing the British not giving up their sovereignty to East Germans imprisoning their own citizens sounded clever in your head.  I assure you, it wasn't.  It was in nothing but poor taste.

They don't like the Backstop? That's totally okay, but then they should come with workable alternatives instead of just being naysayers.

There's two, more likely four years to explore how the Irish border will be handled while they're in the transition period.  The only thing they're saying is that the EU doesn't get to lock them in and give them a tool for essentially dictating terms at the end of those negotiations.

In the end, it's the UK's border.  The EU and even Ireland doesn't get to dictate it.  They can negotiate, but this attempt to strong arm is pretty much exactly why the EU itself (and international institutions in general) are problematic.

Its not just the EU though.

All those brexit guys saying "just give us NO deal, hard brexit, #WTO rules",
are forgetting that WTO told them they wont accept a non boarder either.

fatslob-:O said:
NightlyPoe said:

That's simply incorrect.  The backstop doesn't come into effect until 2021 at the earliest in the case of future negotiations faltering.  Strip it out of May's deal and nothing changes in the immediate future while the two sides continue negotiating the broader agreement during the transition period.

There's no "automatic" hard border.  Neither side even wants a hard border.  And all Britain is asking for is an expiration date on the backstop so they won't be permanently entangled.  In the end, that's a bare minimum for a country to demand in any negotiations.  It's basic sovereignty.

Gotta realize when striking a withdrawal agreement with the EU it needs unanimous approval among the other 27 members and specifically, Ireland will veto anything else other than a backstop or a customs union ... 

Leo Varadkar's party, Fine Gael are not interested in losing the next election by risking to ruin the Good Friday Agreement. The Taoiseach is also not keen on putting a border between Ireland and the EU either. The EU does not like the idea of seeing contraband reach their single market through a potential backdoor in Ireland where goods can be smuggled from the Irish border ... 

The backstop is an absolute necessity according to both Ireland and the EU if their not willing to accept borders between each other or the smuggling of illegal goods. The UK lowering their trade barriers relative to the EU will threaten local businesses in the mainland ... (it's the ugly truth that the EU needs more protectionism otherwise it'd get massively undercut by competitors like China or the US)

If the UK is not interested in the proposed relationship or a closer relationship then the only solution is to no deal ... (I think the UK should take this path and takes advantage of it to the maximum degree as much as possible)

The UK needs a revamp in some industries to make it more productive. They should accept chlorinated chicken, hormone treated beef, and GM foods in agriculture to get more food. The UK could also do without GDPR since it practically makes deep learning illegal and Europe's currently best start up tech hub culture is located in London which could play nicely to their advantage. Instead of focusing so much on financial services they should invest a lot on machine learning so that they can take full advantage of automation in a digital economy and the EU will never be able to take complete advantage of automation since it has far reaching restrictions on how data is handled ... 

The UK lowering their trade barriers would:

a) kill the UK economy (that's the ugly truth; it would just be cheaper to import everything that produce anything in the UK anymore) and millions of jobs that way

b) would need to be instated first, which will take time, time where there at least theoretically would need to be a hard border (I say theoretically since if that would get voted early on after leaving, that would be faster than building up walls)

Lowering the barriers would allow the UK to import tons of goods at no cost for the countries exporting to the UK, but the exports of the UK are still subject to the tariffs of every single country that they want to export to - and by removing the import tariffs, they would also remove any incentive on their side to remove their tariffs. After all, they would already have the best deal then, selling cheap to the UK but buying nothing that they produce themselves, as they are protected by their own tariffs.

@underlined: Certainly so, though in most cases it will be cheaper to just move to another country, especially if, like you said above, UK would ditch their tariffs. Producing cheap elsewhere in a third world country and shipping it to the UK tax-free would be much more advantageous to those companies than stay on the island.

@bolded: If you think so. But I wouldn't buy any of those unless forced upon.

@italic: It doesn't make deep learning at all illegal. What it makes illegal is collecting tons of data without knowledge of the users they collect them from, give them a right to opt out, have their data deleted if they ask to, and see in detail all the data the companies collected of an individual in the EU. It doesn't disallow to collect data at all, it's just that they now must ask first if and what data they are allowed to collect.

The tech hub may be an advantage for the UK. Seriously, I hope it does, as Brexit should not be coming on the back of the common people.

Case in point about your argument you were using in previous posts about the expensive EU food products and that the UK would undercut them: I'm in the Philippines right now. But apart from some sweets, the only UK product I could find was Spam (Filipino seem to love that at least, considering the plethora of variations available). From other EU countries, I found Juices (all cheaper than US variants btw and on par to South African juices), Chocolate butter, Milk, Powdered Milk, tons of sweets (especially chocolates and waffles), Honey, Tomato sauce, Olive oil, even some fruits and vegetables... and in almost all cases, the European products are at least competitive to Chinese, Korean, Australian or American products.

Yes, the CAP was set up to protect European farmers from competition from outside the EU. But Macron already announced last year (or 2017, not entirely sure about the date) that they are willing to kill the CAP. Even just thinking that is a sign that the European farmers don't need the protection anymore, as they are increasingly exporting their goods on the world market, and with success as you can see from the above. And yet, apart from Spam and some sweets, I don't see anything British here. It may be a reason of taste, but I guess it's more because UK products are not as competitively priced as with other European products

NightlyPoe said:
Scoobes said:

I'm still not seeing how anything you suggested would put the ball back in the EU's court.

They would simply refuse until the UK came up with a suitable insurance policy or a genuine solution to the border issue that didn't break the GFA and international law (which is basically what the EU have been saying all along). The onus would be back on the UK as the party that decided to leave, and international law would be on the EU's side. What realistic alternative amendment to the backstop do you suggest the UK sends?

@ your last point (italics)

You don't see how Britain saying what they will accept and putting it in the EU's hands changes things?  This kinda shows how public perception can be warped.  It's basically the result of months in a row of the kind of rhetoric that we've been seeing in this thread which is because the ball has been in the UK's court this whole time.  The EU can "simply refuse" but the UK "can't say what they'll say yes to".  The EU "

Basically, you've all given a complete pass to the EU's intransigence.  May's accepted it and has corrupted the national dialogue by first signing the agreement that she knew couldn't pass, and then spending months as the de facto ambassador from the EU.

But, in the end, who is the one making a demand?  It's the EU!  They are demanding something from the UK that no country should ever relinquish.  Incidentally, they're also including a provision that makes the UK's bargaining position in the next round untenable ("agree to our terms or we'll impose the backstop").

Sorry, but from my view, it's the EU that has overextended itself.  It's the EU that is pushing them closer to a no deal solution where everyone loses.  All they have really won is in defining the terms in public perception.  That's not good enough for me.  May should never have told the country "It's my deal or no deal" and hardened the notion that it was the best deal they could get.  It's really her greatest failure of all.

It's not just the EU that holds all the cards. This is supposed to be the easy part with our nearest neighbors. How do you think we're going to get deals with other large nations when we've squandered trade with our nearest and largest allies?

Other nations aren't going to want to do trade with one of the largest economies in the world?  Why?

There needs to be regulation since the UK will have differnt rules & regluations than the EU.
As long as Ireland is part of the EU, there will need to be a boarder because of this.

Thats not EU overextending itself, its common sense.
Besides its not just the EU saying this.

WTO says the same thing, there will have to be a boarder.
Even with a hard brexit, and you guys saying "screw off EU", the results will still be the same.

Also its clearly not the EU's fault it turned out like this, but the UK itself that wanted things this way.
UK could have accepted any one of many solutions to this problem, but choose to not even try to do so (or be willing to accept any).

Basically the UK is chaseing butterflys, and unicorns, while skipping along looking for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Its time to wake up.

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:

It's not just the EU that holds all the cards. This is supposed to be the easy part with our nearest neighbors. How do you think we're going to get deals with other large nations when we've squandered trade with our nearest and largest allies?

Other nations aren't going to want to do trade with one of the largest economies in the world?  Why?

Because compared to such economic blocks like the EU, the UK alone is insignificant in that regard these days.

In fact, the whole world is uniting into such economic blocks: The EU, the EAEU (Eurasian Economic Union around Russia), AESAN (South-east Asia), BBIN (Buthan, Bangladesh, India and Nepal), The Caribbean Community, the African Union (still working on the free trade between all member states, though, and containing 4 independent trade blocks), Mercosur (South America)...

In other terms, yes, the UK is one of the largest economies by itself. But the others are, bounded together, stronger economically than the UK is and ever could be on it's own - and thus could very well dictate the terms of a future trade partnership instead of the other way around.

Also, while the UK is a large economy, that doesn't necessarily mean that other countries have much to gain from a trade deal in the first place. But that very much depends on what the countries are trading with already, so I'll leave that open for now.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
NightlyPoe said:

Because compared to such economic blocks like the EU, the UK alone is insignificant in that regard these days.

In fact, the whole world is uniting into such economic blocks: The EU, the EAEU (Eurasian Economic Union around Russia), AESAN (South-east Asia), BBIN (Buthan, Bangladesh, India and Nepal), The Caribbean Community, the African Union (still working on the free trade between all member states, though, and containing 4 independent trade blocks), Mercosur (South America)...

In other terms, yes, the UK is one of the largest economies by itself. But the others are, bounded together, stronger economically than the UK is and ever could be on it's own - and thus could very well dictate the terms of a future trade partnership instead of the other way around.

Also, while the UK is a large economy, that doesn't necessarily mean that other countries have much to gain from a trade deal in the first place. But that very much depends on what the countries are trading with already, so I'll leave that open for now.

^ this.

In terms of exports I think the UK is like the 10-11th? Largest economy in the world.
So as a country it matters ofcourse.

However in the grand scheme of things, the UK is tiny compaired to these economic blocks that deal with trade.
There are rules too, that you have to follow, the UK isnt just somehow magically exempt from following them.

How often do you hear people say "Just give us WTO".
WTO are saying there needs to be a boarder too, its time to stop blameing the EU for everything.

NightlyPoe said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

That doesn't answer the question.  All you've established is that there are other big fish.  Why wouldn't anyone want to trade with the UK?

That depends on what the UK has to sell them, if they need that and if they can get it from another source cheaper or better.

There ain't very much anymore that the UK has to offer for other countries, so chances are they won't be too interested into trading. And if they do, then rather on their terms than on the UK's terms.

As a filthy job stealing immigrant living in uk (and loving it) I dont get why May's deal is not approved. It is a good deal that deliver most of the things brexitèrs want and its the best deal you can have. Its a shame May cannot approve it as 1/3 of the conservative party want no deal or nothing and that the LP just thinks about getting into power.
Well, lets wait to see what will happen. I just hope it is not a no deal as that would be very bad in the short term, although MUCH less catastrophic as the guardian states.

Still relevant.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.