By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November NPD 2018 Thread

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Train wreck said:

I agree, still surprised by the number of people who still put stock in Benji.

Why? He was right

He was right like Quickrick is right.  You can't bat .000

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
colafitte said:

I want to believe that those 300-400k more PS4 could've sold in November will be instead sold in December with more stock to give us a surprise to all of us.....but, i don't have faith in that happening....XD

honestly the fact of the matter is that we know exactly how a $299 PS4 will sell now. Or even a $250+game PS4. It will sell way less than it did last year.

The only reason the PS4 won november was because of the $199 deal. Sony didn't even have to put in a game. If there are no deals for december of a similar ilk... PS4 will be at best flat YOY r down by as much as 300k.

I feel the market sony can sell to at $299 has been saturated. 

Price drop coming in 2019 then

Train wreck said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Why? He was right

Benji has been spot on all year, the only thing anybody has against him is saying he wouldnt be surprised if Switch won last Nov.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Train wreck said:

Benji has been spot on all year, the only thing anybody has against him is saying he wouldnt be surprised if Switch won last Nov.

Being inconsistent means being inconsistent.  Being right one year and wrong another (and wrong while he was on this forum) doesn't negate that.

zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:

And my point is that the NS is still under 2 years old. And this is only its second holiday season. Its price of entry is also lower than the price of entry for the PS4 at the same time in its life.

It shouldn't need deals like what the PS4 is currently employing to sell well. And it selling as well as it is selling isn't a big deal cause its performing as well as any well performing console before it. Even the XB1 is putting up god numbers this month. 

You say the switch still has its launch price.... it took sony 3 years to get to the current switch launch price. 

Why are you comparing price without context of the hardware?

Wow.... so when its convenient we should talk about context of the hardware?

I guess nintendo is lucky.... its s may things and nothing in particular either way.

But let me be clear. These are my points.

1. in its second november the PS4 also showed similar YOY "percentage gains". 85% YOY increase in 2015 compared to 2014.
  2. It was sold at $350 during that period and had its deals too. The same way the switch has its deals now.
  3. the 2 yr old switch that is still "new"  doesn't have to have the same kinda deals the 5yr old PS4 has to sell well or on par. If anything the PS4 needs deals like that after having sold almost 30M consoles in NA to remain competitive.
  4. the switch is doing "as well" as any great selling console before it. And its current numbers are in line with the projections most made here on this site. The PS4 is below our projections... but most also said it would only be limited by how many SM bundles they make available. We changed our expectations when we noticed the stock situation was similar to last year. 

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
zorg1000 said:

Being inconsistent means being inconsistent.  Being right one year and wrong another (and wrong while he was on this forum) doesn't negate that.

Being wrong once doesn't make you inconsistent 

Intrinsic said:

Dare I say if sony drops the price officially to $199 globally around january 2019 and further drops it by $50 around november next year it could actually go on to have its best year ever.

I don't doubt this at all. Sony is in an incredible position. They can either sit on $299.99/$399.99 and soak up profits to cover PS5 R&D, or if they want to ramp up sales, they can drop to $199.99/$299.99. I've been saying that all generation. Sony has so much potential with PS4, it is just a matter of how they want to play.

Next year could be very interesting. $199.99/$299.99 in the Spring. PS4 Super Slim/PS4 Pro Slim in the Fall. $149.99/$249.99 Black Friday. Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part 2, Dreams, and Death Stranding. I don't see any reason why Sony can't give PS4 its best year ever in 2019. 

As for this years number. Great news for all three company's.  Really happy to see XBO doing so well after everything they have done with the platform over the last 12 months. XBO X and Game Pass are the reason I finally re-entered the Xbox ecosytem this year. Switch and PS4 continue to ride their success, can't disagree with the likes of Smash Ultimate, God of War, Pokemon Let's Go, Spider-Man, and everything on PSVR leading the way.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

Why are you comparing price without context of the hardware?

Wow.... so when its convenient we should talk about context of the hardware?

I guess nintendo is lucky.... its s may things and nothing in particular either way.

But let me be clear. These are my points.

1. in its second november the PS4 also showed similar YOY "percentage gains". 85% YOY increase in 2015 compared to 2014.
  2. It was sold at $350 during that period and had its deals too. The same way the switch has its deals now.
  3. the 2 yr old switch that is still "new"  doesn't have to have the same kinda deals the 5yr old PS4 has t sell well or on par. If anything the PS4 needs deals like that after having sold almost 30Mconsoles in NA to remain competitive.
  4. the switch is ding "as well" as any reat selling console before it. And its current numbers are in line with the projections most made here on this site. The PS4 is below our projections... but most also said it would only be limited by how many SM bundles they make available.We changed our expectations when we noticed the stock situation was similar to last year. 

It should always be factored in when comparing the price of different devices.

None of the other stuff has anything to do with the part I quoted you on.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Train wreck said:
zorg1000 said:

But hes not inconsistent, he has been right ALL YEAR LONG and he technically wasnt even wrong last year.

He said he had PS4 winning but wouldnt be surprised if Switch won, all he was wrong about was how big the gap was.

The only people who have anything against him are a bunch of crybabies who think retailer insights should be 100000% current every single time.

The fact that Sony's can pretty much reach out and outsell the competition while simultaneously managing profit with such granularity is amazing..