By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has Sony shipped 90 million PS4's + 1 billion games?

thismeintiel said:
zorg1000 said:

A select few said that, not "everyone" like he claimed. Stop taking the statements of the vocal minority and pretending like that's the general consensus.

Why be so obtuse here?  Of course it was a bit of hyperbole, as it would never be everyone.  But the fact remains that the 360 crowd, which was a pretty sizable chunk of this site back in 2012 and 2013, as well as a few Nintendo fans I'm sure, were stating that Sony would struggle this gen, with MS being able to take even more market from them.  At least the US and UK would be on lock for Xbox in a sizable way.  No need to rewrite history.

I know he obviously didn't mean everyone, the problem is that it wasnt even anywhere close to the majority who thought that.

Like Barozi pointed out, PS3 was outselling 360 every year since 2009 and even with all the mistakes Sony made early on they were able to beat Microsoft comfortably in Europe, Japan & RotW which gave them a slight lead worldwide.

It was more commonly stated on this site that as long as Sony didnt give up a year head start, make a console $200 more expensive and harder to develop for than they would rebound (not to PS2 levels but better than PS3)

Sure, a small group of vocal users wanted to make people think that Sony was going to go bankrupt and exit the console market but that was far, far from the majority of people on here.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
thismeintiel said:

Why be so obtuse here?  Of course it was a bit of hyperbole, as it would never be everyone.  But the fact remains that the 360 crowd, which was a pretty sizable chunk of this site back in 2012 and 2013, as well as a few Nintendo fans I'm sure, were stating that Sony would struggle this gen, with MS being able to take even more market from them.  At least the US and UK would be on lock for Xbox in a sizable way.  No need to rewrite history.

I know he obviously didn't mean everyone, the problem is that it wasnt even anywhere close to the majority who thought that.

Like Barozi pointed out, PS3 was outselling 360 every year since 2009 and even with all the mistakes Sony made early on they were able to beat Microsoft comfortably in Europe, Japan & RotW which gave them a slight lead worldwide.

It was more commonly stated on this site that as long as Sony didnt give up a year head start, make a console $200 more expensive and harder to develop for than they would rebound (not to PS2 levels but better than PS3)

Sure, a small group of vocal users wanted to make people think that Sony was going to go bankrupt and exit the console market but that was far, far from the majority of people on here.

Sorry, but that's not how I remember it.  How next gen would play out was completely up in the air.  360 fans thought MS would continue to make gains with the help of their infinite cash reserves.  PS3 fans thought the PS4 would make a comeback because Sony learned from their mistakes.  Nintendo fans were completely torn one of three ways.  Some agreed with the PS3 fans.  Some agreed with the 360 fans.  Still others thought it was the end of consoles as we knew it.  There were quite a few people who thought that if the Wii U was struggling this much, and it was the successor to the highly popular Wii, than the PS4 and XBO didn't have a prayer.  So no, a PS comeback was far from the consensus on this site.

thismeintiel said:
zorg1000 said:

Sorry, but that's not how I remember it.  How next gen would play out was completely up in the air.  360 fans thought MS would continue to make gains with the help of their infinite cash reserves.  PS3 fans thought the PS4 would make a comeback because Sony learned from their mistakes.  Nintendo fans were completely torn one of three ways.  Some agreed with the PS3 fans.  Some agreed with the 360 fans.  Still others thought it was the end of consoles as we knew it.  There were quite a few people who thought that if the Wii U was struggling this much, and it was the successor to the highly popular Wii, than the PS4 and XBO didn't have a prayer.  So no, a PS comeback was far from the consensus on this site.

You do realize what you are saying agrees with my initial point, right?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
thismeintiel said:

Except it really doesn't.  You downplayed his comment as if it was a very small minority on this site that felt that way.  It was not, however.  It was a sizable portion of the site.

thismeintiel said:
zorg1000 said:

Except it really doesn't.  You downplayed his comment as if it was a very small minority on this site that felt that way.  It was not, however.  It was a sizable portion of the site.

Your last post explained how this site was fragmented with multiple different opinions and no general consensus yet you are arguing with me for telling someone that he was wrong to say everyone agreed......

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
thismeintiel said:

Your last post explained how this site was fragmented with multiple different opinions and no general consensus yet you are arguing with me for telling someone that he was wrong to say everyone agreed......

I really don't want to derail this thread anymore, so this will be my last post on this topic.  Like I said before, that was hyperbole.  He didn't mean literally everyone, just a big chunk of people, which it was.  Even more so if you also throw in the people who just thought all 3 were doomed, at which point it probably would have been a majority of posters, even if only a slight one.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

from selected few to "never seeing" is quite the difference.

That's where context is important.

He said: When everyone seemed to think

I said: that never happened

I didnt say "nobody said that", I disputed his claim that it was everyone (or even most for that matter).

Ok then. Let's pretend he wasn't being hyperbolic, since NEVER you'll have EVERYONE agreeing to anything. Even the most atrocious crimes you'll find some oddball that doesn't think it's atrocious. So you could have replayed that "it wasn't everyone" instead of "never seeing".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

That's where context is important.

He said: When everyone seemed to think

I said: that never happened

I didnt say "nobody said that", I disputed his claim that it was everyone (or even most for that matter).

Ok then. Let's pretend he wasn't being hyperbolic, since NEVER you'll have EVERYONE agreeing to anything. Even the most atrocious crimes you'll find some oddball that doesn't think it's atrocious. So you could have replayed that "it wasn't everyone" instead of "never seeing".

I know it was hyperbolic hence why I said it wasnt even most in the parenthesis.

But hey let's get mad at the guy correcting a false statement.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

I know it was hyperbolic hence why I said it wasnt even most in the parenthesis.

But hey let's get mad at the guy correcting a false statement.

You didn't correct him, you said you never saw that.

As I said, you could have easily said "it wasn't everyone", "it wasn't the majority" or whatever other way you wanted. The way you put sounded more like it didn't even had any significant (or even any at all) expectation that PS4 would end last.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

zorg1000 said:
forevercloud3000 said:

The PS4 is easily past 90 Million consoles shipped, likely sold the majority of that. The$200 PS4 Slim 1TB Spiderman Bundle was the hottest item for the week of Black Friday. For games I would say 50-80 million more games sold since June is more believable. I mean they have had Spiderman, Red Dead Redemption 2,COD BLOPS 4, etc can easily jump that hurdle.

I think it will hit 100 million hardware and 1 billion software either in the quarter ending June 30 or Sept 30.

It ll happend before then.

Currently it has to be over 900m... it sells like 130m+ software pr 6months.
Those 777.9m numbers are from half a year ago, so by now its over 900m.

It should happen well before June.