By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will "next generation" have a mid-upgrade like PRO and X?

haxxiy said:

The use of multigate devices to come close to physical limits was a thing expected all along.  None of these manufacturing nodes are what the ITRS used to consider 7 nm or 5 nm, though. TSMC's 3.5 nm (and presumably Samsung's equivalent 4 - 2 nm GAAFET nodes) are what it should have been called the 7 nm node, if foundries hadn't transformed technical node names into marketing names. That's why Intel's 10 nm (which is actually a 11 nm node according to ITRS's standards) is more complex and efficient (though slightly bigger) than Samsung and TSMC's 7 nm nodes.

The next step for more demanding applications, mid to long term will likely be 3D circuitry (bonus points if CNT or copper-CNT connections are viable) but price and heat might pose a problem to apply it in future generations of consoles.

Long term.... maybe. Mid term is a no. As far as consoles go. 

Lets say it cost sony/MS $150 for a 370mm2 APU using 7nm FinFet fabrication in 2020, to get double the performance in 2023/2024 they would need to either massively upclock the existing APU (not possible) or go with a node shrink which will allow them put in more transistors and up the clock a little in the same 370mm2 die size.

The reason that 370mm2 die size is important (and a barrier) is that they pay for these chips by the wafer. So from one wafer they may get like 100 chips at that 370mm2 size putting it at $15,000/wafer. This means that in regardless of the time, they are paying about the same cost for a wafer. 

Now if in 2024 the foundry develops a vastly different way (aka more complex) to make chips then what happens is that the overall cost of that wafer goes up. Those 100 chips won,t cost $15,000 anymore. But could instead cost $25,000. Same die size, more complex manufacturing process. This becomes a problem when you are ordering millions of said chip.

And this isn't even considering the yields on said new manufacturing process.

I want mid gen upgrades as much as the next guy, but like i always said that next gen (PS5/XB2) comes whenever 7nm fabrication comes: then PS5pro/XB2X will come whenever we have 3/4nm. Any other thing will be prohibitively expensive. 

Around the Network

I guess it's a possibility, PS4Pro accounts for 1/5-1/4 of sales while X1X is probably even more. This also allows then to streach a gen, less R&D cost with more HW and SW sales. That will be even more certain depending on what level of HW they launch the gen and the rythm the tech evolves on the 3 years after it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Quantum computing also is something that is very fast in some cases but can be pretty inefficient in others.
3D circuitry is another thing, as actual manufactuirng prices could be the limiting factor.
Right now it looks like there will be a massive slowing down at least, even with new materials and more for chip production.

shikamaru317 said:
Errorist76 said:
Considering even mid next gen, probably half of gamers will still be on 1080p TVs and next gen consoles will do native 4K easily, I strongly doubt it.

8k tv's are already starting to release though, and they are already priced lower than 4K tv's were when they first released ($15k vs $20k), so they will reach mainstream prices (less than $1000) by 2023 I'd say, which should be about 3 years into next-gen, the earliest we might see mid-gen refreshes release. While the mid-gen refreshes certainly won't be powerful enough to handle native 8k, we could see them running games at say 6k with checkerboarding potentially. 

Also, I feel like we are already at around 30% of gamers with 4K tv's now, by 2023 that should be more like 70 or 80%, not 50%.

Good God, is this a real thing? 8K tvs? I don't want to upgrade my TV again. :P

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Apple releases phones every year and it goes seamlessly, same os.

As consoles become more like phones in terms of OS and compatibility, I guess revisions make sense (at least regarding business sense).

God bless You.

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
0D0 said:

Good God, is this a real thing? 8K tvs? I don't want to upgrade my TV again. :P

Yep, it's progressing quickly. Multiple 8k tv's have been shown at CES every year since 2012, but they actually released to consumers earlier this year, beginning with an 85 inch Samsung 8K tv for $15,000 (which is less than the first 4K tv cost). Back in 2017 Guardians of the Galaxy became the first movie to be filmed with 8K cameras so that it can be released in an 8K format later on once 8k begins to proliferate. In 2017 the first 8K capable satellite was launched into space, with the first 8K tv signal broadcast using it in May 2018. Japanese Broadcaster NHK, who has invested $1b in 8K R&^D since 1995) is spearheading the 8k tv effort, with full 8K broadcasting of their programming beginning this weekend on December 1st, with tv shows that are actually recorded in 8K, not upscaled from 4k. 

I'm absolutely astonished. 4K HDR lightning colours are so beautiful today. I wonder how games will look at 8k in ten years from now.

God bless You.

^^

Not sure if serious. Just check how many Iphone were sold in comparison to console. Make no sense whatsoever to compare the two

Chazore said:
exclusive_console said:
I seriously hope it is not very 3yr refresh like PC gaming. Microsoft has hinted this and I personally hate this idea. Even a decent PC can last 5yrs as they have option of various settings and resolution.

YOu don't need to upgrade every 3 years on PC though.

I know what you mean. But according to some GTX 1070 is not considered high end which IMO is absolutely crazy

Last edited by exclusive_console - on 28 November 2018

exclusive_console said:

^^

Not sure if serious. Just check how many Iphone were sold in comparison to console. Make no sense whatsoever to compare the two

Chazore said:

YOu don't need to upgrade every 3 years on PC though.

I know what you mean. But according to some GTX 1070 is not considered high end which IMO is absolutely crazy

That's because it's not, that goes to the 1080/1080ti. The RTX cards are the new ultra end cards since they entered the market.

The hardware industry doesn't stop with one card being high end for 6+ years, it's always dethroned around 2-3 years later.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Yes I know they keep making faster cards. But 400$ gfx card is considered midrange is crazy lol

exclusive_console said:
Yes I know they keep making faster cards. But 400$ gfx card is considered midrange is crazy lol

Many variables affect the pricing of said cards, especially within different countries. Also, you're looking at Nvidia, the company that sucks in the bang for buck dept. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"