By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does anyone miss the color booklets with character bios and story info from the 90s?

Do you miss the high quality instruction booklets from the 90s?

Yes, greatly. 29 82.86%

No, you are reaching here. 0 0%

Who cares? 1 2.86%

Nostalgia got the best of... 5 14.29%

Total:35

I thank god for the internet every day, as do the trees.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
I thank god for the internet every day, as do the trees.

^That.

Altough I would enjoy official digital manuals readable from the console UI, especially with some effort in the form and a few useless yet nice info about the game universe.

you mean the game instruction manual? if so yes lol

Cobretti2 said:
you mean the game instruction manual? if so yes lol

Yes the physical one. No point in an online one, the physical full color one with collector's value. 

Anything to save a penny. Makes sense, business wise, but not artistically. Sucks.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network

I don't. Tutorials, guides, etc can be easily incorportated in the gameplay upon staring playing a game for the first time.

CuCabeludo said:

I don't. Tutorials, guides, etc can be easily incorportated in the gameplay upon staring playing a game for the first time.

Oh god, I hate tutorials so much! They always treat me like I was dumb as fuck. Like I can't figure out myself to move the joystick to move my character. Seriously. There were many times where I quit playing a game altogether because it had a tutorial I could not skip.

So if abandoning printed manuals is the reason that we have so many tutorials these days, then I miss them very much. Because fuck tutorials. Let me figure out the game myself. It's part of the fun, you know.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Yes! I loved when I got Street Fighter 2 Turbo it showed all the characters and gave all their bio (ie. height, nationality, moves etc..)

Absolutely miss the manuals you used to get, i remeber the Warcraft 2 one was pretty much a novel lol its was about half an inch thick. Then one day they just disappeared. But i guess most games now have like in game stats and Bios on the characters etc

OdinHades said:
CuCabeludo said:

Oh god, I hate tutorials so much! They always treat me like I was dumb as fuck. Like I can't figure out myself to move the joystick to move my character. Seriously. There were many times where I quit playing a game altogether because it had a tutorial I could not skip.

So if abandoning printed manuals is the reason that we have so many tutorials these days, then I miss them very much. Because fuck tutorials. Let me figure out the game myself. It's part of the fun, you know.

Most games are multiplat nowadays. Physical games on PC are a thing from the distant past. Developers won't make in-game tutorials for the PC version of a game, while making a physical book with the tutorials for the same game on consoles. They will make everything with the same pattern to reduce costs.

Don't forget that the number of consoles users that are buying games digitally is growing, so there would have to be 2 different game versions for a console, the digital version would have to come with in-game tutorials while the physical version would have the book.

Last edited by CuCabeludo - on 26 November 2018