By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gaming Shopping - Thanksgiving and Black Friday Observations

CaptainExplosion said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Haven't seen any yet, but I'm sure something will pop up. People just don't know how to act lol 

Especially not in the southern US. Who stabs someone over a fucking laptop?

And a Dell laptop at that lol 

Around the Network

My second Target today. All sale bundles of all systems and PSVR sold out. All consoles, bundled or not, sold out except Switch, and one, single XBX Fallout 76 bundle remaining.

From what I've seen in 3 stores last night and today (two Target, one Best Buy) XB and PS sold well, but not nearly as fast as last year. Switch has tons of stock remaining in all stores I've seen. I don't know if that means they're not selling, or that they made sure a ton of stock was on hand.

my yet small anedoctal evidence of a even smaller sampling :
I went to walmart. i saw tons of tvs on the carts, but none console.
lots of ps4, Xbox games sold (most sports games), few switchs (i went to get a dbfz, after an entire day, only i bought). Id get a snes mini, but there was none in stock.

jonathanalis said:
my yet small anedoctal evidence of a even smaller sampling :
I went to walmart. i saw tons of tvs on the carts, but none console.
lots of ps4, Xbox games sold (most sports games), few switchs (i went to get a dbfz, after an entire day, only i bought). Id get a snes mini, but there was none in stock.

Interesting - All three stores that I went in, over roughly a 24 hour period starting yesterday evening, had plenty of SNES and NES minis in stock.  I guess that goes to show just how insignificant an experience at one, or even three stores is, when you consider the tens of thousands (or maybe even hundreds of thousands) of retail outlets for video games in the US, let alone the world.  

VAMatt said:

I always go Black Friday and, since it became a thing, Thanksgiving night shopping.  So, I have a pretty decent basis for comparison, especially considering that I generally come to this exact lication (Best Buy, Springfield, VA).  Here's my observation:

The store is busier than last year overall.  As for gaming, consoles seem to be moving much, much slower than last year. There is less action in the gaming area in general. With that said, they have only one of the $399 XB1X units remaining.  PS4 Pro also seems to be moving relatively well.  But, I see very little interest in regular PS4 and XB1S.  There is a giant stack of Switch units that looks about the same as it did when I got here an hour and a half ago.

It looks like only one PSVR bundle has been sold, and it was sold to me. 

So, in this tiny sample of very anecdotal evidence, gaming sales appear way, way lower than last year. I will update tomorrow when I hit Target and Walmart on Black Friday. 

Consoles doomed! 

VAMatt said:
Target in Falls Church VA is out of all sale bundles of all consoles, and only a couple PSVR bundles left as of 1:30pm Friday. I guess that is a good sign.

Consoles saved! 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
VAMatt said:

I always go Black Friday and, since it became a thing, Thanksgiving night shopping.  So, I have a pretty decent basis for comparison, especially considering that I generally come to this exact lication (Best Buy, Springfield, VA).  Here's my observation:

The store is busier than last year overall.  As for gaming, consoles seem to be moving much, much slower than last year. There is less action in the gaming area in general. With that said, they have only one of the $399 XB1X units remaining.  PS4 Pro also seems to be moving relatively well.  But, I see very little interest in regular PS4 and XB1S.  There is a giant stack of Switch units that looks about the same as it did when I got here an hour and a half ago.

It looks like only one PSVR bundle has been sold, and it was sold to me. 

So, in this tiny sample of very anecdotal evidence, gaming sales appear way, way lower than last year. I will update tomorrow when I hit Target and Walmart on Black Friday. 

Consoles doomed! 

VAMatt said:
Target in Falls Church VA is out of all sale bundles of all consoles, and only a couple PSVR bundles left as of 1:30pm Friday. I guess that is a good sign.

Consoles saved! 

Greatest console story of all time, told in two posts.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

PS4 slim sold like hotcakes so much so that my local gamestop didn’t even have any ps4 slim models left. A free copy of spiderman came with every type of ps4, so spidey sales are going to be through the roof on bf.
Switch and Xbone did...well... it’s Germany so you could probably imagine.